Hasbro McQuarrie Yoda and Obi Wan are now available online!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How stupid are some of these eBayer buyers:

https://cgi.ebay.com/comic-con-2007...135035425QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170135035425

Over 40 bucks with bidding still continuing ... and the item is still available on Hasbro's site for less than 20 shipped.

I am not blaming the seller. It's his right to move these. However, with the precedent that was set with both the Luke and Droids set, that kind of bidding is really stupid ...sigh.

As for the R2-KT ... I am kind of glad it is sold out. That means 2 things - one, there are a lot of donations going to a worthy cause and two, the inner completest in me will not be able to spend 15 bucks on a repainted R2 mold figure. I know it was for charity ... but Hasbro could have at least made something other than the color unique in memory of that poor child.

As for the R2-KT ... I am kind of glad it is sold out. That means 2 things - one, there are a lot of donations going to a worthy cause and two, the inner completest in me will not be able to spend 15 bucks on a repainted R2 mold figure. I know it was for charity ... but Hasbro could have at least made something other than the color unique in memory of that poor child.
They did. They reproduced the "Katie" heart sticker on the droid (it's on the back panel) as well as the "KT" on the back of one of the feet. Also, the packaging is terrific, with a photo of Katie Johnson and her story on the back of the card.

The figure was $10.

LFL/Hasbro donated $100,000.00 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation in San Diego and South Carolina before they even sold the first figure. :clap

They did. They reproduced the "Katie" heart sticker on the droid (it's on the back panel) as well as the "KT" on the back of one of the feet. Also, the packaging is terrific, with a photo of Katie Johnson and her story on the back of the card.

The figure was $10.

LFL/Hasbro donated $100,000.00 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation in San Diego and South Carolina before they even sold the first figure. :clap

Okay ... so the donations are not based upon the amount of toys sold? That sounds a bit shady to me. How many did they make? I know it's the pessimist in me, but something tells me that they will still be making a healthy profit off this. Plus, that 100,000 dollars is tax-deductible since it was a charitable donation.

This is not an attack on the act or the child. She was a brave little girl and deserves to be remembered. But still ... painting a R2 pink and adding a sticker ... how is that really original? How about the pink droid and a Katie padawan figure? All it would have taken was the female child body from the old Saga Padawan 2-pack and a unique head sculpt. It would have been a true tribute to her.

Sigh ... and the irony here is that I am usually the one defending Hasbro while you guys are throwing around the Hasblo crap .. :monkey2

P.S. Well, it looks like Hasbro is sold out of the Obi/Yoda 2 pack as well now. But, if I remember correctly, they sold out and restocked a few times on the McQuarrie Luke ... just increased the shipping date ... so keep checking back.

This is not an attack on the act or the child. She was a brave little girl and deserves to be remembered. But still ... painting a R2 pink and adding a sticker ... how is that really original? How about the pink droid and a Katie padawan figure? All it would have taken was the female child body from the old Saga Padawan 2-pack and a unique head sculpt. It would have been a true tribute to her.

I thought the 501st that made a special life size Pink R2 for her and thats where the figure idea came from.

Okay ... so the donations are not based upon the amount of toys sold? That sounds a bit shady to me. How many did they make? I know it's the pessimist in me, but something tells me that they will still be making a healthy profit off this. Plus, that 100,000 dollars is tax-deductible since it was a charitable donation.

Any amount of $$ generated over the $100,000.00 is also being donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Lucasfilm and Hasbro will not make a penny off of these figures.

DouglasMcc said:
I thought the 501st that made a special life size Pink R2 for her and thats where the figure idea came from.
Actually, no. The actual R2-KT droid was made and donated by the members of the R2 Builders Group. However, Albin Johnson (Katie's father) is the founder of the 501st and entered the droid into the 501st in Katie's memory. So, I suppose the droid is a "member" of the 501st but it was actually the R2 Builders who made and donated it (and I wish the group would get more recognition for that from LFL and Hasbro, to be honest).

As for R2-KT itself... You need to read Katie's story and what it represents, then maybe you'll understand what it represents and why it IS more than just a pink Astromech repaint:

https://www.r2kt.com/birthofadroid.html

And here's the story behind the figure: https://www.r2kt.com/hasbro/actionfig.html

Now, I am usually not overly sentimental and sanctimonious about this sort of thing (because I do believe that fans and companies tend to overplay this stuff and dwell on the drama), but having a 7 year old daughter of my own and knowing Albin and his family I can honestly say that this is already the most special Star Wars figure in my collection.

I never knew there was an R2 Builders Group.. thats pretty cool. I remember when Palisades did a special Rainbow Connection Kermit for the son of a friend of the owners who died and its always very nice to see people step up and do these types of things. I have a R2 coming and it will be a special figure to have.

I never knew there was an R2 Builders Group.
Yep. And believe it or not, we have more worldwide members than the 501st... though most are not active (it's quite an expensive and time-consuming venture, of course).

You can find out all about us here: https://www.astromech.net/

We'll have a Group Table at Dragon*Con this year as well. Anyone attending, stop by and pick up some group information, see some astromech units in various states of completion and chat with whoever is there (I'll be at the table for a bit each day).

Any amount of $$ generated over the $100,000.00 is also being donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Lucasfilm and Hasbro will not make a penny off of these figures.

Actually, no. The actual R2-KT droid was made and donated by the members of the R2 Builders Group. However, Albin Johnson (Katie's father) is the founder of the 501st and entered the droid into the 501st in Katie's memory. So, I suppose the droid is a "member" of the 501st but it was actually the R2 Builders who made and donated it (and I wish the group would get more recognition for that from LFL and Hasbro, to be honest).

As for R2-KT itself... You need to read Katie's story and what it represents, then maybe you'll understand what it represents and why it IS more than just a pink Astromech repaint:

https://www.r2kt.com/birthofadroid.html

And here's the story behind the figure: https://www.r2kt.com/hasbro/actionfig.html

Now, I am usually not overly sentimental and sanctimonious about this sort of thing (because I do believe that fans and companies tend to overplay this stuff and dwell on the drama), but having a 7 year old daughter of my own and knowing Albin and his family I can honestly say that this is already the most special Star Wars figure in my collection.

If that's true - all profit is being donated to charity ... it warms my heart to know that. Still, and I DID read the her story, I think a figure sculpted in her image would have been a nicer tribute. Maybe it's just me, but 5 years from now, that R2 will just be, and I am not trying to be crude, "that kid's droid" whereas a facial sculpt with a nice Jedi-ish name would have imortalized her forever in the Star Wars lexicon. But, that's just my opinion. And, I apologize if I offended anyone. I will say it one more time for clarity: I agree with the money donation and I was deeply moved by the cause. I just wish they had gone a different root with the figure.

If that's true - all profit is being donated to charity ... it warms my heart to know that. Still, and I DID read the her story, I think a figure sculpted in her image would have been a nicer tribute. Maybe it's just me, but 5 years from now, that R2 will just be, and I am not trying to be crude, "that kid's droid" whereas a facial sculpt with a nice Jedi-ish name would have imortalized her forever in the Star Wars lexicon. But, that's just my opinion. And, I apologize if I offended anyone. I will say it one more time for clarity: I agree with the money donation and I was deeply moved by the cause. I just wish they had gone a different root with the figure.

just the fact it was done in her name (kt=katie) makes it forever special and immortilizes the kid. people just need to keep the memory alive. it probably will be the only pink r2 as well. r2's girlfriend that had her wish come true. can't wait to get mine.

My father died of cancer last July 21st. If anyone can help me obtain one of these I would appreciate it. I had no idea this was out there. I hope a good bit goes to charity. PM me with any info please! I don't collect this line anymore but this is important. Thanks!

Back