Hasbro 6" Black Series Star Wars line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lighter
lighter

With the deco finished, the Rancor is looking pretty good. Some of the paint looks little brassy like the various horns and toes,

And the add-ons are "okay". I'm sure a lot of folks were hoping for an Oola and/or Rancor Keeper instead of two re-issues, a cardboard backdrop and a bone-filled floor accessory (the only cool standout) Wouldn't be surprised if Disney nixed Oola with the prospect of all those photos flooding social media outlets of the toy Rancor chomping down on a scantily clad female figure would definitely be clashing with their desired audience and their current "woke" approach to entertainment. The Rancor keeper is a sad omission especially considering this would've been the perfect opportunity to feature a character that while working well with this set would not have sold well as a stand alone.

Bottom line for me...I'm still not sold. The price is still bit much for this piece, even with the add-ons. I'll mull it over some more, but I'm almost tempted to forego this and get the Sideshow statue...

I'll rant about this a bit. It's unfortunate that this Rancor project is failing like this, as it's a grail type project for 6" collectors. It's debatable whether Hasbro should be doing kickstarter projects at all, and they certainly shouldn't be overcharging like this or setting their stretch goals ridiculously high as they have here. They caught lightning in a bottle with the Razor Crest and it's success has made them delusional.

If they want to charge $350 for a Rancor kickstarter then the stretch goals should be reduced by 40% and the 4 goals should be Rancor Keeper, Oola, Luke, and Gamorrean in that order. The bones and cardboard should be included from the start, not a stretch goal. I hope they take this customer reaction as an indication that they need to do better. Shame on you Hasbro Star Wars for mismanaging a project that should have been a slam dunk success.

I'll rant about this a bit. It's unfortunate that this Rancor project is failing like this, as it's a grail type project for 6" collectors. It's debatable whether Hasbro should be doing kickstarter projects at all, and they certainly shouldn't be overcharging like this or setting their stretch goals ridiculously high as they have here. They caught lightning in a bottle with the Razor Crest and it's success has made them delusional.

If they want to charge $350 for a Rancor kickstarter then the stretch goals should be reduced by 40% and the 4 goals should be Rancor Keeper, Oola, Luke, and Gamorrean in that order. The bones and cardboard should be included from the start, not a stretch goal. I hope they take this customer reaction as an indication that they need to do better. Shame on you Hasbro Star Wars for mismanaging a project that should have been a slam dunk success.

Great post :hi5:

I really wanted this - but not with that god-awful paint job (which could well be worse in production if THAT is the benchmark/guide :slap )

I'm with @jedibear in that I may cave and get the Sideshow piece now (the smaller scale one, not the fibreglass DX) . . . it's slightly smaller scale than the Hasbro one, and obviously doesn't have the articulation, but it'll only cost me $100 USD because of the reward points I have. I have to use them before the end of the year and no-one in the family can find anything else on their website of interest. So . . . could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Compare the paint on the Sideshow piece(s) to the Hasbro - OMG - different galaxies! :google

I hope Hasbro has a moment of clarity and can swallow their pride enough to salvage this project before it's too late (at last check it was down to 4925). I'm not betting on it, but there's still time for them to either adjust the price or make the first goal more enticing.
I really do want the Haslab Rancor to succeed, but if not I'll be getting the SSC one instead.

I hope Hasbro has a moment of clarity and can swallow their pride enough to salvage this project before it's too late (at last check it was down to 4925). I'm not betting on it, but there's still time for them to either adjust the price or make the first goal more enticing.
I really do want the Haslab Rancor to succeed, but if not I'll be getting the SSC one instead.

Now 4920. That's a drop of over 100 today and almost 200 since the high point 6 days ago :horror

I hope Hasbro does the right thing and pauses the campaign. Site whatever excuse they want if they need to. Come back after a few months. Include the bones and backdrop from the get-go. Early Haslabs had base level additions like Jabba or cloth cape Mandalorian. Have the GG, Luke, and Crumb be Pulse exclusives for RotJ 40th anniversary (to save face on them). Add the Rancor Keeper as a first tier, a dungeon base (with spots to place some of the bones) with optional support stand as a 2nd tier, and Oola as a 3rd and final tier. The Keeper and Oola are the real money items here. Giving us one early and one later to help drive and keep driving sales.

We all know this new Luke will hit retail in some form eventually, even as a slightly tweaked Mandalorian version. Like the GG the packaging and coin are the only things exclusive here with him.

I agree, but I also think that tanking the only chance to get this piece is not the best thing to do either. I’m sure if this fails, we’ll never see another BS Haslab again. Hell, if it succeeds I don’t think they will do a BS Haslab again. It’s gonna be TVC Mandoverse from here on out with Haslab, so why deliberately tank this because they are some uninspired dweebs? This won’t teach this corporation a lesson no more than any consumer action teaches corps any lessons. Knee capping this campaign will just serve to blow the one chance of ever having this in 1/12 scale. I know this is the worst campaign they’ve ever run and the tiers are for ****. Heck Crumb is ALREADY at retail, let alone Luke will end up as a December pipeline reveal. They have ****** this up at just about every step of the way since playing coy about it at SDCC 2019! They are the worst marketed segment right now in Hasbro collector toys, there’s no denying that. But lining up to kill the campaign seems a bit typically toxic for SW fans IMO. I just want the Rancor. They can keep all that other ****. Of course this should have had Oola and the Keeper, but it is the Rancor, and as much as it stinks, that’s the best we can hope to get out of this team. I’m sure Patrick, Chris, Jing have some Corp constraints as to why they are completely ignoring fans and I’m sure it’s about money, always is.

I agree, but I also think that tanking the only chance to get this piece is not the best thing to do either. I’m sure if this fails, we’ll never see another BS Haslab again. Hell, if it succeeds I don’t think they will do a BS Haslab again. It’s gonna be TVC Mandoverse from here on out with Haslab, so why deliberately tank this because they are some uninspired dweebs? This won’t teach this corporation a lesson no more than any consumer action teaches corps any lessons. Knee capping this campaign will just serve to blow the one chance of ever having this in 1/12 scale. I know this is the worst campaign they’ve ever run and the tiers are for ****. Heck Crumb is ALREADY at retail, let alone Luke will end up as a December pipeline reveal. They have ****** this up at just about every step of the way since playing coy about it at SDCC 2019! They are the worst marketed segment right now in Hasbro collector toys, there’s no denying that. But lining up to kill the campaign seems a bit typically toxic for SW fans IMO. I just want the Rancor. They can keep all that other ****. Of course this should have had Oola and the Keeper, but it is the Rancor, and as much as it stinks, that’s the best we can hope to get out of this team. I’m sure Patrick, Chris, Jing have some Corp constraints as to why they are completely ignoring fans and I’m sure it’s about money, always is.

That's just it bud - it is about money on both sides - they are not willing to give us value for money, we're not willing to give them money for sup-par delivery.

No-one is "deliberately tanking" this. People backing out (or not getting on-board in the first place) is down to them not coming close to expectations.

It's a bit like what PRIME1 have been trying to pull with their latest batch of Predator Jungle Hunter releases - both parties tried something they were sure they could get away with, and were called on it.

As I've said before - it's a real shame - for everyone.

That's just it bud - it is about money on both sides - they are not willing to give us value for money, we're not willing to give them money for sup-par delivery.

No-one is "deliberately tanking" this. People backing out (or not getting on-board in the first place) is down to them not coming close to expectations.

It's a bit like what PRIME1 have been trying to pull with their latest batch of Predator Jungle Hunter releases - both parties tried something they were sure they could get away with, and were called on it.

As I've said before - it's a real shame - for everyone.

There does seem to be a concerted effort to tank the campaign IMO.
that said, value is certainly and purely subjective, so each person will have to make their own evaluation as to if the $350 for Rancor is value enough. To me, it is. Just saying if for “you” (royal you here) it’s not, why campaign against it. 🤷🏾‍♂️

now that I see them again, something else crosses my mind: why are Luke and the Gamorrean Guard on a Power of the Force cardback, and Salacious Crumb on a Return of the Jedi cardback?

Sure, there must be some weird logic behind it, but if they come in the same set, it makes no sense. It would have been a lot nicer if they all have the same type of cardback.

But then again, they're not going to be made for this Rancor-set, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

Back