Hasbro 6" Black Series Star Wars line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the quality of the MAFEX ESB Boba? I just ordered one from BBTS last week, which’ll be my first MAFEX figure. Does he break easily? Does he feel good in-hand? Etc etc.

I’ve been meaning to ask about him on here but I couldn’t find a MAFEX thread.

Last edited:
How is the quality of the MAFEX ESB Boba? I just ordered one from BBTS last week, which’ll be my first MAFEX figure. Does he break easily? Does he good in-hand? Etc etc.

many say he is the turning point for mafex, where they go from crap quality to good quality so you should like inhand i think. :)

Glad to hear good things about him. Thanks y'all!

One last post here for the night, but I just picked up my third 40th Vader because I wanted to try something.

I was able to get the dome of the helmet off, shave the head a little, and reposition it how it appears in ANH.

PXOwblH.jpg

Spoiler Spoiler:

I know it doesn't look great, but I think it looks more like how he looks in ANH. Next I want to try some floor polish on the helmet and maybe try browsing fabric for a new cape.

How is the quality of the MAFEX ESB Boba? I just ordered one from BBTS last week, which’ll be my first MAFEX figure. Does he break easily? Does he feel good in-hand? Etc etc.

He’s my fav, if ain’t obvious. It’s not as sturdy as Figuarts but it has the better, realistic paint ops and proportionate sculpt. Yes I’ve broken the rocket missile, jet thrusters can come off and the range finder seems brittle. But it’s still my fav, so much so I literally take it everywhere - home, work, family excursions.

051629b6f416a6e28f888804a042d933.jpg

This a Oldboy CTTS custom headsculpt.

86fd51f95d16081bbd0b399d6d526fdf.heic

95fbfae0fcc8db497276860f97a692f4.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally found her, but recent news about her on social media really made me ashamed to be part of the fandom.

I hope she recovers and is a part of the upcoming movies.

0F1E4370-527B-44FA-963A-0F7AD679E48D.jpg

One last post here for the night, but I just picked up my third 40th Vader because I wanted to try something.

I was able to get the dome of the helmet off, shave the head a little, and reposition it how it appears in ANH.

View attachment 412612

I know it doesn't look great, but I think it looks more like how he looks in ANH. Next I want to try some floor polish on the helmet and maybe try browsing fabric for a new cape.

How did you manage to get the dome off?

How did you manage to get the dome off?

Let the head sit in very hot water for a loooong time. The done became soft enough for me to pull from his head, but it took a lot of work as it uses a very tough rubber/glue to keep it on. The dome and head are separate pieces though.

Last edited:
Very cool Captain Clown 👍🏽
I figured that it was one solid head piece. I might try this sometime.

051629b6f416a6e28f888804a042d933.jpg

This a Oldboy CTTS custom headsculpt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Where did you get that unmasked head sculpt? Haven’t heard of Oldboy... Still available?

The Emperor is the one I really regret not picking up, I assumed he'd go to discount on Amazon so held out too long and missed out.
The IG88 fig is a bit disappointing btw - it is impressive how much articulation Hasbro managed to work into a very limiting design but it's woefully undersized when placed next to other BS figs. Also the elbow covers disintigrated in a very short period of time...

I still have my IG-88 and Bossk sealed, but looking at them in the package I can see the the scale issue with IG-88. That is disappointing for sure. Still happy to have him though, he does look really nice and is the only option for the character near this scale.

Emperor is fairly disappointing to be honest too, but mainly because his robe is garbage lol

looks great!! how did you get it off?? i’ve been trying to do this as well!!

View attachment 412612

I think it looks great Captain Clown :clap :goodpost:.

Yes please show more pics once you're done with the custom.

I had already taken the helmet off my BS Vader to position a bit lower. I should have warned it's a total ***** to get off lol

looks great!! how did you get it off?? i’ve been trying to do this as well!!

Thanks!! It wasn't easy. :lol

I left the head in boiling water for about a minute, then I just tried pulling it off as hard as I could. The dome is held on by a very strong plastic glue/rubber gunk.

Once I managed to get the dome off I cut a lot off the top of his head with an X-Acto, which was easy because the head is a gummy plastic.

I think it looks great Captain Clown :clap :goodpost:.

Yes please show more pics once you're done with the custom.

Thank you! And I will. I'm going to pick up some polish tonight. Another thing I really want to do is get a chain for his cape. Once I noticed they didn't include one it's been bothering me. :lol

You guys know that his helmet wasn’t designed that way in ANH, budget, it was crooked because Prowse needed air

By ESB they were able to design Vader’s helmet better , hence why the helmet was shinier

Finally found her, but recent news about her on social media really made me ashamed to be part of the fandom.

I hope she recovers and is a part of the upcoming movies.

View attachment 412626

I never get how people seem to understand that the deeds of a small percentage of a group doesn't represent that whole group, except when it comes to SW fandom. If a small handful of fans go crazy on social media, suddenly the whole of SW fandom is scum and "toxic."

And if you're working in an industry that is capable of paying someone $500k+ for a few months of work in a supporting role, numbers that for normal people are like winning the lottery, you have to understand that those same forces can also sometimes turn in the other direction with equally massive force.

I never get how people seem to understand that the deeds of a small percentage of a group doesn't represent that whole group, except when it comes to SW fandom. If a small handful of fans go crazy on social media, suddenly the whole of SW fandom is scum and "toxic."

And if you're working in an industry that is capable of paying someone $500k+ for a few months of work in a supporting role, numbers that for normal people are like winning the lottery, you have to understand that those same forces can also sometimes turn in the other direction with equally massive force.

I don't get why people are so gullible to believe an unsubstantiated rumor reported by a bunch of fake journalists is the truth. Kelly Marie Tran has never said she left Instagram over bullying, it's BS reported by a unofficial twitter member "Star Wars Facts".

If it's true, what a poor delicate little flower Tran is.

Meanwhile, 165 billion dollar company is loosing money on the sure thing SW franchise because of some terrible decisions by the about to be fired Kathleen Kennedy during a 52 billion dollar bidding war over Fox Studios.

Last edited:
I don't get why people are so gullible to believe an unsubstantiated rumor reported by a bunch of fake journalists is the truth. Kelly Marie Tran has never said she left Instagram over bullying, it's BS reported by a unofficial twitter member "Star Wars Facts".

If it's true, what a poor delicate little flower Tran is.

Meanwhile, 165 billion dollar company is loosing money on the sure thing SW franchise because of some terrible decisions by the about to be fired Kathleen Kennedy during a 52 billion dollar bidding war over Fox Studios.

No, she got off social media because she realized none of us need that crap. We should all get off it and have real conversations with real people. We might all find we are not that different once you actually talk to someone in person. Social media has made us all hateful, close minded and selfish. Its extremely toxic. And being a celeb just puts a target on their back in social media. She was smart to get off it. I got off FB over a year ago and i don't miss it for second.

You will not find answers reading everything you can on your phone. Its just a rabbit hole of narcissistic feedback of what you want to see, then it tells you what you want to hear and buy. None of us get the truth on it. It's really such a waste. Imagine if people took all their hours they spent on social media every week and instead learned a new skill, trade or craft, we would accomplish so much more. Thats what I did, I got off most of my social media and have been concentrating on my art and I try to spend just a few minutes before bed reading about the new toys coming out. But during the day, just gotta stay away from it.

I am happy she was able to make the jump off it. Hopefully she's happier now. :)

End Rant.

Back