Hasbro 6" Black Series Star Wars line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two of those people are VERY INVOLVED in the EU before they formation of the storygroup.

Leland Chee was responsable for catagorizing, and indexing the OLD Canon hierarchy. in other words, he was the Grand master responsable for knowing EVERYTHING. his job for the past several years has been managing the EU. In a sense, it's HIS Baby. unless he TRUELY HATES IT, he's not going to allow it to simply go away. not without a fight.

In fact, everything we know about the story group comes from his twitter, which he took too to tell people who were EU fans " don't worry, i'm on the team that's working on the team that's going to decide what parts of the EU stays, and what parts go. it's in safe hands" or words to that effect.
He has also made recent comments that the Existing EU is currently " Being largely Re-worked so they can be incorporated into thenew films"

Largely reworked. Not tossed out on its butt.

Pablo Hidalgo worked at West End Games, where he wrote several sourcebooks for the Star Wars Role playing game. Those sourcebooks were filled with a wealth of background information further fleshing out the Star wars universe. He has personaly contributed to the EU.

that's 1/2 the team. the other two i'm not asfamilior with, but i do know one of them worked on some of the Star wars Games ( X-wing or rogue squadron, i believe) so we have peoplewho have had their hands in the EU for some time.

It's not just some people who were picked at random. these people are here to cultivate and Curate. not destroy and wipe clean.

the sooner people accept that, the better off they'll be.

It's not just some people who were picked at random. these people are here to cultivate and Curate. not destroy and wipe clean.

I definitely see your argument and within that context you're probably right, except that eventually the actual film needs to get an actual script and then edit green lit and THAT's where the shadow of a fire breathing mouse roaming through the sky will probably butt **** the whole thing into a formulaic boring spoon fed movie meant to make 13 yeard olds nerdgasm so they go buy merchandise.

I'm not saying that's what is gonna happen, but I damn sure fear it will. And I have nothing against cool cinema mainly for kids, but I feel that's already here with Marvel Studios. And I'd very much like Star Wars to be something else, that is, more than that. Of which I became LESS confident in when Disney took over Lucasfilm.

It's all going to get tossed out. Now, they may not bend over backwards to specifically say what happened in the entire intervening span.

But there's no way Disney, Kathy Kennedy, JJ, Kasdan and that whole crew is going to hamstring themselves one iota by some (let's face it) obscure books written twenty odd years ago.

They're going to go clean slate and do whatever they think is best.

Which is really as it should be.

Agreed. A new government being formed after the fall of the Empire called THE NEW REPUBLIC or perhaps the Rebel faction has aligned with other governments including the remnant of Imperials and call themselves THE GALACTIC ALLIANCE is just unrealistic and stupid. Let's not infringe on Disney's/LFL's creativity. Let them name the governing body whatever they want because these ideas from the EU are stupid and far fetched. I completely agree.

Also, Han and Leia get married? What?! That's inconceivable. And don't get me started that Leia has twins (she herself being a twin) and having Force sensitive kids that grow up to become Jedi (she herself being from a family that Luke called strong in the Force). And the names are just stupid. Jacen, Jaina, and the worst one yet: ANAKIN?! It's inconceivable to name her child Anakin after her own father. Just stupid and unrealistic in every way to do that!

Luke then goes and starts a new Jedi Order? There are other Force sensitive folks in the galaxy? I don't buy it. Luke should be a loner Jedi protecting the entire galaxy by himself. He doesn't need help from anybody. Because we all know that Obi-Wan and Yoda by themselves were able to do a lot in the Original Trilogy by themselves.

What's the deal with this Imperial Remnant? Didn't the Empire get destroyed in RotJ? Shouldn't it have been peaceful immediately and the fighting end? Why would high ranking Imperials suddenly want to control the galaxy for themselves once the Emperor died? They only dedicated their lives and careers believing in the cause of the Empire. But come on, the Emperor is dead and Vader died. There's no way these guys would want to continue fighting the Rebellion and try to keep the control they had over the galaxy.

I'm so happy you popped in to tell us that lerath is wrong. It's such a relief that you've given us definitive proof that he's just talking out of his butt and doesn't have any logic in his arguments or isn't basing his arguments on information about some sort of committee defining the official canon. Phew! Close call. Long live the unaltered Original Trilogy. Everything else is garbage and should be purged from existence.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Agreed. A new government being formed after the fall of the Empire called THE NEW REPUBLIC or perhaps the Rebel faction has aligned with other governments including the remnant of Imperials and call themselves THE GALACTIC ALLIANCE is just unrealistic and stupid. Let's not infringe on Disney's/LFL's creativity. Let them name the governing body whatever they want because these ideas from the EU are stupid and far fetched. I completely agree.

Also, Han and Leia get married? What?! That's inconceivable. And don't get me started that Leia has twins (she herself being a twin) and having Force sensitive kids that grow up to become Jedi (she herself being from a family that Luke called strong in the Force). And the names are just stupid. Jacen, Jaina, and the worst one yet: ANAKIN?! It's inconceivable to name her child Anakin after her own father. Just stupid and unrealistic in every way to do that!

Luke then goes and starts a new Jedi Order? There are other Force sensitive folks in the galaxy? I don't buy it. Luke should be a loner Jedi protecting the entire galaxy by himself. He doesn't need help from anybody. Because we all know that Obi-Wan and Yoda by themselves were able to do a lot in the Original Trilogy by themselves.

What's the deal with this Imperial Remnant? Didn't the Empire get destroyed in RotJ? Shouldn't it have been peaceful immediately and the fighting end? Why would high ranking Imperials suddenly want to control the galaxy for themselves once the Emperor died? They only dedicated their lives and careers believing in the cause of the Empire. But come on, the Emperor is dead and Vader died. There's no way these guys would want to continue fighting the Rebellion and try to keep the control they had over the galaxy.

I'm so happy you popped in to tell us that lerath is wrong. It's such a relief that you've given us definitive proof that he's just talking out of his butt and doesn't have any logic in his arguments or isn't basing his arguments on information about some sort of committee defining the official canon. Phew! Close call. Long live the unaltered Original Trilogy. Everything else is garbage and should be purged from existence.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Thanks man. i needed a good laugh today. having a rough morning.

I definitely see your argument and within that context you're probably right, except that eventually the actual film needs to get an actual script and then edit green lit and THAT's where the shadow of a fire breathing mouse roaming through the sky will probably butt **** the whole thing into a formulaic boring spoon fed movie meant to make 13 yeard olds nerdgasm so they go buy merchandise.

I'm not saying that's what is gonna happen, but I damn sure fear it will. And I have nothing against cool cinema mainly for kids, but I feel that's already here with Marvel Studios. And I'd very much like Star Wars to be something else, that is, more than that. Of which I became LESS confident in when Disney took over Lucasfilm.

sounds like you ant a .... somewhat grimmer, darker Star wars story. Perhaps what you want is for the Vong war to be directly adapted to film..... Yuuzhan-Vong.jpg

On a somewhat related note to our off topic conversation, I watched KotCS last weekend and had completely forgotten that they included a reference to the Young Indiana Jones in the dialogue by name dropping Pancho Villa. Did that take away from the narrative? Nope. Did it spend countless minutes of screentime describing that particular story in detail? Nope. It was just a fun nod to a story that some fans were familiar with. And if you weren't familiar with it, it just added a new tidbit to Indy's history. The same can be done with EU stories. Or alternatively, they can just ignore the entire 30 year gap in time and Disney can promote republications or animated adaptations of the EU for those young kids and open-minded adults that are curious what transpired between trilogies.

As for continuing this line, I'll get a few at reduced prices off Amazon. Bespin Luke and Jedi Luke are at the top of my most wanted list but if I can't get them for dirt cheap like folks did with waves 1 and 2, I can live without them.

I feel the same way... i keep waiting for sales, but when i go to make the purchase ( when i have the scratch to burn) the sales have ended :(

Spoiler Spoiler:

Guys, I think you're misunderstanding my point and I'm sorry I inflamed such strong feelings.

My point is simply this -

Disney is a very cold, calculating and shrewd business. Some books - heck, even dozens of books - that were published over span of twenty years and that sold to an incredibly small niche audience - are not something that is going to remotely enter their thinking when it comes to the planning of what is going to be a multi-billion dollar franchise.

They're not interested in reselling old books that they don't actually own. (Just because they bought Star Wars doesn't mean that everything that was once made with the Star Wars brand is going to be money funneling into their pockets.)

Your comments about the "New Republic" and such are silly. I never said any of that. Yes, I said they would be "tossing the EU." Perhaps that was clumsily stated.

OF course any movie that picks up after Return of the Jedi is going to have a New Republic. And it's almost a certainty that Han and Leia will be married with kids. It's further likely that those kids will be at the center of this movie.

However, that doesn't invalidate my point one bit. Heck, pick 1000 writers and tell them to go write sequels to "Return of the Jedi." 999 of them are going to come back and say, "There's a New Republic, Han and Leia have kids and Luke is a Jedi master training new recruits." DUH. I never said they wouldn't go down those painfully obvious avenues.

All I said, all I continue to say, is that reconciling their new stories with thirty years of clunky, expansive EU is not going to enter into their thinking. At all. If you're JJ and Kasdan and Kennedy, do you want to even worry about such a headache? No, you don't.

I wouldn't at all be surprised, either, if there actually WERE even shout-outs to the EU. Hell, if you are going to give Han and Leia twins, why NOT use the names from the books? It'll just make things easier and, yes, will be a harmless little shout-out to the superfans, just in the same way Lucas used the name Coruscant in the films, when it was established in the books. Lucas also gave Quinlan Voss a verbal shout-out in ROTS because the character was so popular and it was harmless.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of those quick references, like the Young Indy shout-out in KOTCS (though that's a different animal, since Lucas was the creator of Young Indy and was passionate about it and was obviously behind KOTCS. No one involved in the films had anything to do with the EU and they have no connection to it.)

But, keep in mind, new Star Wars films alone will rake in over a billion bucks. They hope it will be seen by everyone in the friggin' world. The passions of a minuscule section of EU-reading super fan isn't on anyone's radar.

So I'm sorry I annoyed you guys, I didn't mean to be dismissive. But you gotta look at this from the cold, cash-hungry eyes of Disney. They want to build their OWN version of Star Wars now with everything under THEIR banner.

Why do you think they cancelled "The Clone Wars"? Why do you think they pulled the comic license from Dark Horse? Why do you think they cancelled (thankfully) the awful "Detours" animated show?

They're all bringing it together under their banner, with them in control of everything. No other companies get "Star Wars" anymore - not Cartoon Network, not Dark Horse, not the publishers of those EU books. They're not interested in promoting aspects of SW that they don't own or had anything to do with.

Guys, I think you're misunderstanding my point and I'm sorry I inflamed such strong feelings.

My point is simply this -

Disney is a very cold, calculating and shrewd business. Some books - heck, even dozens of books - that were published over span of twenty years and that sold to an incredibly small niche audience - are not something that is going to remotely enter their thinking when it comes to the planning of what is going to be a multi-billion dollar franchise.

They're not interested in reselling old books that they don't actually own. (Just because they bought Star Wars doesn't mean that everything that was once made with the Star Wars brand is going to be money funneling into their pockets.)

Your comments about the "New Republic" and such are silly. I never said any of that. Yes, I said they would be "tossing the EU." Perhaps that was clumsily stated.

OF course any movie that picks up after Return of the Jedi is going to have a New Republic. And it's almost a certainty that Han and Leia will be married with kids. It's further likely that those kids will be at the center of this movie.

However, that doesn't invalidate my point one bit. Heck, pick 1000 writers and tell them to go write sequels to "Return of the Jedi." 999 of them are going to come back and say, "There's a New Republic, Han and Leia have kids and Luke is a Jedi master training new recruits." DUH. I never said they wouldn't go down those painfully obvious avenues.

All I said, all I continue to say, is that reconciling their new stories with thirty years of clunky, expansive EU is not going to enter into their thinking. At all. If you're JJ and Kasdan and Kennedy, do you want to even worry about such a headache? No, you don't.

I wouldn't at all be surprised, either, if there actually WERE even shout-outs to the EU. Hell, if you are going to give Han and Leia twins, why NOT use the names from the books? It'll just make things easier and, yes, will be a harmless little shout-out to the superfans, just in the same way Lucas used the name Coruscant in the films, when it was established in the books. Lucas also gave Quinlan Voss a verbal shout-out in ROTS because the character was so popular and it was harmless.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of those quick references, like the Young Indy shout-out in KOTCS (though that's a different animal, since Lucas was the creator of Young Indy and was passionate about it and was obviously behind KOTCS. No one involved in the films had anything to do with the EU and they have no connection to it.)

But, keep in mind, new Star Wars films alone will rake in over a billion bucks. They hope it will be seen by everyone in the friggin' world. The passions of a minuscule section of EU-reading super fan isn't on anyone's radar.

So I'm sorry I annoyed you guys, I didn't mean to be dismissive. But you gotta look at this from the cold, cash-hungry eyes of Disney. They want to build their OWN version of Star Wars now with everything under THEIR banner.

Why do you think they cancelled "The Clone Wars"? Why do you think they pulled the comic license from Dark Horse? Why do you think they cancelled (thankfully) the awful "Detours" animated show?

They're all bringing it together under their banner, with them in control of everything. No other companies get "Star Wars" anymore - not Cartoon Network, not Dark Horse, not the publishers of those EU books. They're not interested in promoting aspects of SW that they don't own or had anything to do with.

actualy, They DO own the books. some of which sat on the bestsellers list for a long long time. They weren't sold to some small, niche auidence. they have a massive followng. and Disney now owns the righs to those books. REtaining the rights to EVERYTHING star wars is what Made Lucas rich. it's what made disney shell out 2 BILLION dollars for it. Disney made a point of mentioning the books and comics in their press releases too. that's part of what owning lucasfilm does. Lucasfilm owns the rights to EVERYTHING created under teh SW banners, with the creator getting a percentage. but that's not the point. You're kinda missing the point entirely, that it has been said, publicly, several tiems that the EU is not going away completely. It's being tweaked, and made to fit the new vision, yes.

But to assume it's getting flushed? that's folly.

Why did disney take the Rights from dark horse for the comics? ( which, by the way, the Story group is deciding which comics stay in the continuity, and which go)
Well, they happen to OWN a major comic book publisher. makes sense to publish it themselves, dosn't it?

Clone wars series canceled? why? Disney owns their own animation studio, and TV channels. why host it on someone elses channel.

but the biggest part here, is your ignoring the official statements made by members of the storygroup, that the EU is not leaving, and simply assuming it will.

another angle, that nobody is considering, is they have 30 YEARS worth of time to fill. Why would disney reinvent the wheel, when they can simply, and cheaply cherry-pick from the established fiction, and fill the gap with what'salready been written that they already own?

But to assume it's getting flushed? that's folly.

Okay. Have to take back my initial post, which was very poorly stated and really not what I was trying to convey. So, yeah, you're right. No one at Disney/Lucas is going to release a blanket press release and say, "All this STUFF from the past 30 years?! **** it, it's GONE!!! WHOOOOOSH!

You're absolutely right about that and that's not what I was trying to say (even though I basically did. My bad.)

However, here's what IS going to happen - the team behind the new Star Wars movies are going to do whatever the heck they want without giving a second's thought to those 30 years of EU continuity.

And then it'll be up to Leeland Chee and his team to sort it all out. What stays, what goes? What parts are irretrievably gone vs. what can we salvage?

If the movies establish that Han and Leia had triplet girls? Well, bye bye Jason and Jania. (not saying it'll happen, it's a silly example.)

Maybe - MAYBE - let's say they're writing the movies and Leeland Chee sends Kennedy an email and says, "hey, if you just change this guy's name from Bob to Corran Horn, you've just made a tiny subset of super fans happy AND you made a tidy connection to all this archival EU", I could see them doing something small like that (akin to the film's use of the name Coruscant, for instance.)

So in my mind, it's like a cassette mixtape. Disney/Kennedy/JJ/Kasdan - they have a tape they are going to record all their favorite songs onto. They're not starting with a brand new tape and they're not purposefully erasing what is already on the tape (which is 30 years of EU songs).

So they'll record their stuff. And that will be the important, defining qualities of this tape. However, if there are bits left over at the end, or in between songs or whatever that were not specifically taped over, well, you'll still be able to hear that, too.

(However, Disney is still not interested in rehashing old books. They also have their own publishing houses. Yes, they have the license rights to Star Wars, but would have to share the revenue with the original publishers of those books. Which they don't want to do. It's the exact scenario as it is with Dark Horse and Clone Wars. They ALSO own publishing, so you can forget about Disney giving one whit about any of the old EU books that they don't own 100%.)

Okay. Have to take back my initial post, which was very poorly stated and really not what I was trying to convey. So, yeah, you're right. No one at Disney/Lucas is going to release a blanket press release and say, "All this STUFF from the past 30 years?! **** it, it's GONE!!! WHOOOOOSH!

You're absolutely right about that and that's not what I was trying to say (even though I basically did. My bad.)

However, here's what IS going to happen - the team behind the new Star Wars movies are going to do whatever the heck they want without giving a second's thought to those 30 years of EU continuity.

And then it'll be up to Leeland Chee and his team to sort it all out. What stays, what goes? What parts are irretrievably gone vs. what can we salvage?

If the movies establish that Han and Leia had triplet girls? Well, bye bye Jason and Jania. (not saying it'll happen, it's a silly example.)

Maybe - MAYBE - let's say they're writing the movies and Leeland Chee sends Kennedy an email and says, "hey, if you just change this guy's name from Bob to Corran Horn, you've just made a tiny subset of super fans happy AND you made a tidy connection to all this archival EU", I could see them doing something small like that (akin to the film's use of the name Coruscant, for instance.)

So in my mind, it's like a cassette mixtape. Disney/Kennedy/JJ/Kasdan - they have a tape they are going to record all their favorite songs onto. They're not starting with a brand new tape and they're not purposefully erasing what is already on the tape (which is 30 years of EU songs).

So they'll record their stuff. And that will be the important, defining qualities of this tape. However, if there are bits left over at the end, or in between songs or whatever that were not specifically taped over, well, you'll still be able to hear that, too.

(However, Disney is still not interested in rehashing old books. They also have their own publishing houses. Yes, they have the license rights to Star Wars, but would have to share the revenue with the original publishers of those books. Which they don't want to do. It's the exact scenario as it is with Dark Horse and Clone Wars. They ALSO own publishing, so you can forget about Disney giving one whit about any of the old EU books that they don't own 100%.)

Yes and no. Some of what you're saying is true, and does make some good points, but at the same time, some of it goes against what we know, an dwhat has already been established and changed and etc. both new and old.

Firstly, the bolded part of that statement is not correct.
Once again, Disney made a BIG DEAL about the Expansiveness of star wars, and that they now own all the books. You referenced the publishing houses. Originaly, SW books were published by bantam books. They're not any more, i beleive it's del ray. and when thaat contract expires, disney will change them once again to something else in-house.
DISNEY. OWNS. THE. RIGHTS. TO. THE. BOOKS. PERIOD. the authors get a check, and some small royalties for a year or so, and then that's it. Some of them are bitter abut it,, and are not fans of the way the get terms dictated to them. They don't get to keep any rights to anything they create, and the publishing house gets a % while they're publishing, but that's all. the terms are not ideal for the authors or publishers, but they also know that Star wars is a liscense to print money, and an opportunity to "play" on one of the most well known universes out there. so they go for it. I had a nice long talk with Timothy Zhan about all that a few years back while waiting in line with him to get some things signed by David prowse at a Con. GREAT GUY, real freindly, and told me about how that works with liscensing.

ALL rights reserved for lucasfilm ltd means just that. they own the whole shebang. lock, stock, and barrel.

Beyond that, if you think that Lucasfilm/ Kennedy is going to let JJ have a free reign, and do whatever he likes, you're going to be mistaken. It's the Job of the storygroup to see to it that EVERYTHING Star Wars fits into an established continuity. I can promise you, that If JJ won't play ball with it, Kennedy WILL tell him to take a hike. Abrams is not bigger than Star wars, it's bigger than him. the Insane amount of money the prequel trilogy made, DESPITE being not the best films, or that well recieved is proof enough of that.

I anticipate you're likey right about forcing him to make a handful of name changes here and there, But at the same time, i also think it's going to go quite a bit deeper than that.

it's the mandate of the storygroup to dictate terms, to ensure everything fits together into one cohesive storyline that's easy to follow. Once they know what that is ( cohesive storyline) TRUST ME, they'll start telling Abrahms what he's got to do. at which point, his options will be " play ball" or " go home"

Add on.. i want to be clear. i'm NOT trying to attack, nor argue with you. I'm actualy quite enjoying our conversation, and Am in no way trying to bully, berate, demean, insult, or otherwise mistreat you. i know i've got some strong opinons, and i can come across that way. I also may simply be privy to information you don't have, as for me, the EU WAS my star wars growing up. Born in 82, i missed the theatrical OT, and grew up with the comics, novels and etc. some were great, some were very VERY bad, but to me, THAT was my star wars. THAT, and the films on VHS.

Last edited:
Don't really know the Vong war Lerath... I've never read the post rotj EU books, but thanks for the tip.

What I want is the overall tone and depth of the OT and PT, but without the childish superficial spoon feeding BS that the PT was utterly drenched in. I still think the groundwork of the PT is excellent. I think Palaptine's coup d'etat is brilliant (and brilliantly portrayed by the actor). Ad I think the essence of Anakin's storyline is great as well, because it shows how a good natured boy can get lost in his fear of loss, which is a very real thing that happens to people. I want a Star Wars that has well thought out philosophies for characters, that go beyond "well shucks, ya'll just evil, and we're super cool n defendin the world n ****, so suck it' *cue awesome CGI*.

Basically I want them to do what Bioware has done with their games: create stories that are multilayered, that develop the material in depth and expand what it means to live in a galaxy of light, dark and all the grey in between. A galaxy where some just try to get by in a trash world of mercenaries, and some seek ultimate enlightenment or ultimate power and both debate and fight over which one is more true to life.

Star Wars, especially the OT and BW's stories, are sci-fi that truly has it all. Humor, drama, ethical dilemma's, heart, awesome action, iconography that can stand the test of time and is worth deconstructing upon multiple viewings. I'd point to Nolan's Batman trilogy, made by a man who vehemently quotes Star Wars as one of his main inspirations. That's the level of storytelling I want.

In short I'd call this "quality cinema" (cue Dr. Evil quotes "quality cinema"). Not just popcorn entertainment that's based on a selling formula and will just make you smile and shout "awesome" at the exact marketed one-liner dialogue points.
Lucas meant star wars as a modern fairy tale that mirrored society's complex issues with the good the bad and the ugly and gave it an awesome, vast and multilayered form. That's what I want - but without Lucas' god awful sense of humor.

I want Han shooting first not because of box office success, to get 12 year olds to nerdgasm and see it five times and buy all the hot toys figures and never use any brainpower whatsoever. I want him to shoot first because that's the freakin character that has to get by in that world and was written to show us something. I want that to actually have a deeper meaning and say to the audience "well what would you do? Is this man good, bad or just ugly? Where do you think he'll end up during his life?" True character development.

I want artistic symbolism, not just popcorn escapism. And I have very little faith that Disney will allow this creative edge necessary for artistic depth, over current proven box office driven writing.

God DAMNIT I'm getting WAY too fired up.:rotfl

Add on.. i want to be clear. i'm NOT trying to attack, nor argue with you. I'm actualy quite enjoying our conversation, and Am in no way trying to bully, berate, demean, insult, or otherwise mistreat you.

Well put. My apologies, Lance, for coming off as a jerk. Your original post is an unoriginal one and must've been the dozenth one on SSF I've seen regarding the topic. You've gone back and retracted your initial comment and are agreeing with my take on the whole thing. The EU is laying a groundwork and foundation for the state of the galaxy in the Sequel Trilogy. I don't expect much to be tossed. The biggest things that probably will be fixed are Chewie's death, Anakin's death, Jaina going all bonkers with her view of the Force, Jacen becoming a Sith, Jacen killing Mara Jade, and Jaina killing Jacen. That is the NJO and everything that takes place after it. That is some heavy stuff that would really mess up a clean slate for a new trilogy. Everything else? Not really a big deal in my opinion. It was my intention to present silly arguments and show that the entirety of the EU didn't need to be abolished and could naturally carry forward into the Sequel Trilogy without feeling forced. I'm not asking for Thrawn, Xizor, or Kyle Katarn to make appearances. But I do think those characters are all small potatoes when it comes to the big picture of the galaxy and their existence won't affect the story team's vision much. I want the story to take place 30 years after RotJ. I don't want them dwelling on the past aside from maybe a few throw away lines of dialogue. And those throw away lines could be fan service to the more popular EU or just something the writers imagined happening. But they don't need to blatantly contradict the EU just because. That's what a lot of OT purists want.

As for SW being edgy, I don't see it as edgy. BSG was edgy. I have faith if there's issues with the new movies, it won't be all Disney's fault.

Ok... after reading all that....
GO READ THE VONG WAR! AND everything that comes after it. I think you'll like it. ALOT.
Read the New Jedi order series
Read the Fate of the Jedi series
AND
Read the Legacy of the Force series!

Trust me, you'll LOVE IT.

Don't really know the Vong war Lerath... I've never read the post rotj EU books, but thanks for the tip.

What I want is the overall tone and depth of the OT and PT, but without the childish superficial spoon feeding BS that the PT was utterly drenched in. I still think the groundwork of the PT is excellent. I think Palaptine's coup d'etat is brilliant (and brilliantly portrayed by the actor). Ad I think the essence of Anakin's storyline is great as well, because it shows how a good natured boy can get lost in his fear of loss, which is a very real thing that happens to people. I want a Star Wars that has well thought out philosophies for characters, that go beyond "well shucks, ya'll just evil, and we're super cool n defendin the world n ****, so suck it' *cue awesome CGI*.

Basically I want them to do what Bioware has done with their games: create stories that are multilayered, that develop the material in depth and expand what it means to live in a galaxy of light, dark and all the grey in between. A galaxy where some just try to get by in a trash world of mercenaries, and some seek ultimate enlightenment or ultimate power and both debate and fight over which one is more true to life.

Star Wars, especially the OT and BW's stories, are sci-fi that truly has it all. Humor, drama, ethical dilemma's, heart, awesome action, iconography that can stand the test of time and is worth deconstructing upon multiple viewings. I'd point to Nolan's Batman trilogy, made by a man who vehemently quotes Star Wars as one of his main inspirations. That's the level of storytelling I want.

In short I'd call this "quality cinema" (cue Dr. Evil quotes "quality cinema"). Not just popcorn entertainment that's based on a selling formula and will just make you smile and shout "awesome" at the exact marketed one-liner dialogue points.
Lucas meant star wars as a modern fairy tale that mirrored society's complex issues with the good the bad and the ugly and gave it an awesome, vast and multilayered form. That's what I want - but without Lucas' god awful sense of humor.

I want Han shooting first not because of box office success, to get 12 year olds to nerdgasm and see it five times and buy all the hot toys figures and never use any brainpower whatsoever. I want him to shoot first because that's the freakin character that has to get by in that world and was written to show us something. I want that to actually have a deeper meaning and say to the audience "well what would you do? Is this man good, bad or just ugly? Where do you think he'll end up during his life?" True character development.

I want artistic symbolism, not just popcorn escapism. And I have very little faith that Disney will allow this creative edge necessary for artistic depth, over current proven box office driven writing.

God DAMNIT I'm getting WAY too fired up.:rotfl

Back