Has TPM Aged Well for You?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has TPM aged well for you?

• Yes

Votes: 67 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 42 38.5%

• Total voters

Amanaman

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'll admit, it's this much-maligned movie that got me into SW for real. I never had the original SW toys while growing up - for some reason, it was all about Joes, Transformers and He-Man. After posing my QGJ and Maul figures, this sudden surge of nostalgia starts to kick in (hey, it's 8 years already). I still feel it was a weak movie in many respects, but it's the only prequel movie done in celluloid, and its relaxed pacing is very OT-ish, but yet a very different world from A New Hope. The merchandise gets me a little nostalgic too - yeah I got sick of it eventually, but it's all gone now. At least it was a fun ride.

So, with that in mind, would you buy a Boss Nass or Watto figure from Sideshow?

Yes, then again I never had a many issues with it from the start. Jar-Jar aside the rest of it works well for me.

I watched it yesterday while looking after my ten month old during daddy/daughter day--in between naps, playing, and feeding (wife was away shopping) and I enjoyed it as much as always. I tend to ignore most of the Jar Jar stuff and I accept Jake Lloyd is a kid who wasn't exactly getting the best direction from a director who doesn't really "direct" his actors too much--- Having said that too little Darth Maul and the middle action doesn't really gel well with the beginning and end-- but I like Watto so that's OKie Day (Did I just say that? I'm never watching it again :D ).

Yes, I like it more now then I did when it came out. I didn't like it much at all in 1999, but now I say if you remove Jar Jar from the movie it's actually a pretty decent film. Just my opinion. I do enjoy watching it now a lot more then i did back then.

Oddly enough it feels very strange that in 2 years it will be the 10 year anniversery for TPM.

Josh to the rescue! :rock

I never really had a problem with TPM. JJB is still annoying at times - "Weesa going hooooooome!" but his presence doesn't take away from the atmosphere.

To me, TPM revolves around Qui-Gon, and the whole Jedi/Sith conflict, BUT in typical SW fashion, it's the atmosphere set by the Gungans, Tatooine and Coruscant that make it what it is.

Would I buy well-made TPM figures? Hell yeah. :rock :rock :rock

I still love the movie, but feel it had no direction. Jake Lloyd was a great little actor, but the script wasn't natural. What child talks like that? The lines were too forced. Nonetheless, I do like the movie, and it's always going to be one of my favorites.

It hasn't aged well to me but then again I never cared for it in the first place other than introducing Darth Maul. That was the only thing that made the movie worth anything to me and they had to kill him off right away.

Most of the acting was pretty bad, poor writing, Yoda puppet, Jar Jar, poop and fart jokes, etc.

Amanaman said:
Josh to the rescue! :rock

I never really had a problem with TPM. JJB is still annoying at times - "Weesa going hooooooome!" but his presence doesn't take away from the atmosphere.

To me, TPM revolves around Qui-Gon, and the whole Jedi/Sith conflict, BUT in typical SW fashion, it's the atmosphere set by the Gungans, Tatooine and Coruscant that make it what it is.

Would I buy well-made TPM figures? Hell yeah. :rock :rock :rock

What he said. :chew

It was an okay film, and I stll think that it is okay. Jar Jar, among other issues with the movie kinda killed the feel of the movie. But, TPM was prety cool in some senses. Maul was awesome. :maul

Despite the annoyance of the kid and Jar Jar, the film is a good one. George must have been dipping into his Opium stash when he cast young Anakin and decided not to chop Jar Jar to the editing floor. Great effects and the climactic fight between Obi, Qui Gonn and Maul was a good one.

Natrix said:
It hasn't aged well to me but then again I never cared for it in the first place other than introducing Darth Maul. That was the only thing that made the movie worth anything to me and they had to kill him off right away.

Most of the acting was pretty bad, poor writing, Yoda puppet, Jar Jar, poop and fart jokes, etc.
That gag with the animal farting in Jar Jar's face before the pod race is so utterly pointless and puerile it's embarrassing to watch. I try not to take these movies too seriously, but c'mon. :monkey4

I reckon it holds up better now because we know what's to come in the subsequent prequels, but as the first episode it should be able to stand on its own merits for a viewer coming in cold.

I always thought of TPM as a series of excellent individual sequences (podrace, lightsaber duel etc) that just didn't hang together well enough.

The Gungans never bothered me. It takes all kinds of creatures to make a galaxy.

I think it has aged well. In fact I enjoy it more today then when it was first released.

As I stated before of the PT films this one has the closest feeling to the OT for me.

It may even be....GASP...... My fav. of the PT films. I still need some more views of ROTS. I loved ROTS when it first came out but have found that it has not held up as well. Too many little things in ROTS that drive me crazy.

AOTC is by far the stinker of the entire saga IMO.

I thought it was a great movie when I first saw it, I've come now to see more flaws in it. Heck I liked Jar Jar at first, but he and the gungans do annoy me now. How can a whole species be clumsy? Or is Jar Jar so clumsy he makes others around him look clumsy? Anyways, I think its aged pretty well, I still like it more than AOTC in many respects.

I still enjoy the film. Its funny, I loved it the first time I saw it in the theater, and the next day at about 10a :lol But for awhile afterwards the whole Jar Jar and Jake thing really grated on me.

But now, while I still find those issues annoying, I'm better able to appreciate the movie as a whole. I think it stands up as a very good film, but one that needed someone (other than Lucas) to take a critical look at it during editing.

The film I have always liked, the 1080i HD transfer not so much. Seriously the OT looks better than TPM in my opinion. So, I voted no from a certain point of view.

I would love to see a "Special Edition" of this film with Jar-Jar removed and Bail Organa as the one who does Jar-Jar's role in AotC (gives Palpatine powers). That would make RotS more interesting because he realizes what a mistake he made and that he must form the Rebellion to fix it.

Back