Has the bubble on Marvel PF's & Comiquettes popped?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, and who helped ruin that franchise?... scalpers and lame variants to which being a completist was near impossible for some.

Sorry but that makes no sense. What do those have to do with the value of cards? Back in the 90s they actually had value. why wouldnt those still have as much value to this day?

Because people couldnt be completists the value of rookie cards dropped? or because people selling them for hundreds of dollars, rookie cards dropped in value?

Lame variants? I think the statue/figure world has a lot of those as well.

So basically the bottom fell out of the comic market same as hockey cards. The thing with statues is there limited, there numbered. If you look at things like cheris bears and crap you buy at hallmark that stuff does just tank. (because its numbered)

Also i find with alot of statues hits a low point then they rebound again once theirs a demand. Good example would be older Bowen statues, I have a some older bowen's i bought for dirt like colossus, then they go up. Even though at one time with was about 80.00 lower then retail.

There's always going to be bigger and better product that comes out and over shadows stuff that we view today as awesome. Just a matter of time.

I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think these things will be sought after or hold their value indefinitely.

Look what happened to sports cards and comics. Everything will eventually fall.

Wise words.

Buy what you like and enjoy.

nash;2030091 There's always going to be bigger and better product that comes out and over shadows stuff that we view today as awesome. Just a matter of time.[/QUOTE said:
Very true, besides people should be collecting because this like it or a fan not because its "STOCK" if the statue market get treated like the stock market the bottom will fall out again.

Agree comics bottom out because companies were producing too many book runs, like theres a million copies of X-men 1 floating around ( you all have a copy).... also variants, 1# books killed the market what reader wants to buy a comic for 70.00. People were buying comics like there buying stock... ah the 90's.

Yup.

Sorry but that makes no sense. What do those have to do with the value of cards? Back in the 90s they actually had value. why wouldnt those still have as much value to this day?

Because people couldnt be completists the value of rookie cards dropped? or because people selling them for hundreds of dollars, rookie cards dropped in value?

Lame variants? I think the statue/figure world has a lot of those as well.

There's always going to be bigger and better product that comes out and over shadows stuff that we view today as awesome. Just a matter of time.

I was talking comics dumb dum :p. Sports cards (esp baseball) went capute over the scandals,strikes n such. I know there were super chase cards (those dumb foil variants or a 'piece of the field') and some people just gave up and sold their collections because they were unable to add them to their collections and weren't willing to pay $$$$ for them.

Only thing that holds it value in those markets are pretty much rookies and graded origins/FA.

I don't think there will be any thing bigger and better in Marvel than what SS has done. Peoples interest are constantly in a waning state.

Last edited:
the one variant with these collectables though i think is the fact that now you companies like disney driving the propaganda machine.
not that there wasn't anyone doing it before as they were able to pump out some great movies already, but with likes of disney and others they know how to market their product to certain genders to basically make them fans for life.

I think that Sideshow needs to take a step back and regroup.. the thing that made them so appealing to me as a Bowen collector for a number of years... was that I was getting this awesome sculpt for the same price or a little more than what Bowen was charging for a character half the size...

What was Capt America Exclusive - 250? 300? While Bowen's Capt was 175 to 200...
Thor Exc - 275? 300? While Bowens was 200... for a sculpt half the size of the Sideshow product...

Now... Sideshow has started to think that it should head off the resale value at the pass... I stopped purchasing at Abomination... when I saw that he was 450.00, I was done... I don't know why the jumped in price so greatly... but they have come down a bit but have increased edition sizes...

I really think they need to refocus, lower edition sizes, less exclusives, and lower price point... They have a great product... but there has to be a limit to the price I am going to pay... 250 for Emma Frost is too much...

Just my opinion.

The sideshow comiquette are usually well priced imo.250$ for venom and punisher is fair.

I think that Sideshow needs to take a step back and regroup.. the thing that made them so appealing to me as a Bowen collector for a number of years... was that I was getting this awesome sculpt for the same price or a little more than what Bowen was charging for a character half the size...

What was Capt America Exclusive - 250? 300? While Bowen's Capt was 175 to 200...
Thor Exc - 275? 300? While Bowens was 200... for a sculpt half the size of the Sideshow product...

Now... Sideshow has started to think that it should head off the resale value at the pass... I stopped purchasing at Abomination... when I saw that he was 450.00, I was done... I don't know why the jumped in price so greatly... but they have come down a bit but have increased edition sizes...

I really think they need to refocus, lower edition sizes, less exclusives, and lower price point... They have a great product... but there has to be a limit to the price I am going to pay... 250 for Emma Frost is too much...

Just my opinion.
right !!they have to low edition sizes!!as for abomination i believe his price is right cause it's a very HUGE statue

Even Marvel will hit its saturation point. With SW it is obvious why, and LOTR already had an expansive SS/Weta line with a shrinking collector base. That's why those PF lines are not holding up so well. There are too many choices now.

Marvel is getting there. When the bubble pops, you don't want to be the one left holding the bags (i.e. the buyer who paid several times MSRP right before the fallout). Buy it of course, because you like it, and know that everything eventually becomes worthless, especially to later generations.

Even Marvel will hit its saturation point. With SW it is obvious why, and LOTR already had an expansive SS/Weta line with a shrinking collector base. That's why those PF lines are not holding up so well. There are too many choices now.

Marvel is getting there. When the bubble pops, you don't want to be the one left holding the bags (i.e. the buyer who paid several times MSRP right before the fallout). Buy it of course, because you like it, and know that everything eventually becomes worthless, especially to later generations.

the only pieces that may hold some of there value for sure, will be the ones with ultra low ES. such as spidey pfs with es of 75 or hulk vs spidey with es of 50.
will they be worth $2000 - $3500 like now, or worth 1/2 or 3 times as much in 10-20 years who knows.

the only pieces that may hold some of there value for sure, will be the ones with ultra low ES. such as spidey pfs with es of 75 or hulk vs spidey with es of 50.
will they be worth $2000 - $3500 like now, or worth 1/2 or 3 times as much in 10-20 years who knows.

yes,low edition skyrockets the price.i think dr doom pf also will be up ..not for the low edition,i think is very difficult for one to sell it..even for 1500 dollars..

IMO, the only two "active" Sideshow lines that seem to consistently generate interest and maintain value on the secondary market are Universal Monsters and Marvel. I would imagine that if you are looking for a collection that functions in that way, then either of those licenses will do it for you.

I think the problem as of late has been a combination of a flood of product on the market, higher prices, and poor character choices.

Back