Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Edition Remastered MKV2.5 Now Available

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meaning you have the original theatrical Star Wars without the few SE restorations that Harmy left in?

Meaning I have available the recently scanned 35mm print in bluray format that was done by Team Negative.
Harmy will be using this in the future to do his 3.0 version of Star Wars.
He used their scans for certain scenes in Jedi.

Very nice indeed, unfortunately i only have a BD reader in my pc,,, so only got mine on DvD9's.
Can you see a definite difference between the 2?

Oh yes. The compression is gone in both Empire and Star Wars. They were authored at a higher bit rate and are each between 19G and 22G.

Team Negatives bluray is about 23 Gigs.

Which is better, Harmy's SW 2.5 or the Team Negative version?

Two very different version.

Like I said there is a film of grain over Team Neg's version that gives it a very film like quality. There are slight imperfections that are very reminiscent of film the way it was in 77. It is a great version to watch and I enjoyed it a lot.

Two very different version.

Like I said there is a film of grain over Team Neg's version that gives it a very film like quality. There are slight imperfections that are very reminiscent of film the way it was in 77. It is a great version to watch and I enjoyed it a lot.

I was just curious as to which version you prefered. Is the "film of grain" something left over from the original source that they scanned or did they add it to deliberately give it a more retro appearance?

I was just curious as to which version you prefered. Is the "film of grain" something left over from the original source that they scanned or did they add it to deliberately give it a more retro appearance?

This was a 35 MM print that was scanned. The grain is true to the original film negative. They did not add it in post. It is genuine.

There is something nostalgic and like one of my best friends said, warming to see the image in such a fashion.

Both versions have their merits and if this one was not as special as it was, Harmy would not be using it to revisit his own release.

You should have seen the arguments about film grain on BBSes when the GODFATHER films came out on Blu Ray. People were going to the mattresses.

You see, even releasing something like that would still be better than nothing. There's a big movement in retro kitsch and old media - some bands still release on cassette, and heck, even Mondo release VHS tapes to this day. Vinyl's made a comeback, I think cult cinema has too...
Just waiting for the day when the kids want me to unpack my Pioneer LaserDisc player and boot up my Criterion BLADE RUNNER.

71sAAh7KoXL._SL1101_.jpg

Loved my laserdisc player! I still remember pre-ordering the THX versions of the OT and picking them up at Suncoast Video. Those were the days. Nothing like having to get up and put in the 2nd disc!

Does anyone have a list as to the different audio tracks that are on the despecialized versions of Star Wars, empire and Jedi? There seem to be different mixes and commentary tracks too!
Thanks!

Loved my laserdisc player! I still remember pre-ordering the THX versions of the OT and picking them up at Suncoast Video. Those were the days. Nothing like having to get up and put in the 2nd disc!

Ken Cranes Laserdiscs for me ! :rock

Anyone know when the despecialized 3.0 trilogy will come out? I'm sure on facebook they said around about when Episode 8 is released...?

Think I'll keep the versions I have til then ;)

Considering 2.0 of ROTJ is not even done yet, I would say it will be some time.

Hey can someone remind me how to do the artwork for the Disc's themselves... I know you can use stickers and I know how to download them but I can't remember how to fit them onto the disc from the computer... Basically getting them to line up right... I have not done this in probably 15 years... Is there a program?? Anyone suggest what kind of labels I should purchase...

These Discs are great BTW... Do we leave feedback jimjimmyjones or just sing his praises here??

Back