Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Edition Remastered MKV2.5 Now Available

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get the black slug thing on the Emperor. My copy of ROTJ 1.0 shows that scene without that error being noticeable barely at all. Maybe its the TV settings?

Most likely. I don't see it on my copy either.

It's interesting that we've come to a point in our culture where what we value most is authenticity (locally-sourced food, mico-brews, etc.). And, as part of that, we have people like Harmy who have taken in the job of restoring authenticity. His work is a sort of video archaeology. Or, better yet, like Michelangelo, freeing the statue from the marble, he's freeing the movie from everything that isn't the movie.

^^^ Exactly SW should exist with its original form for people who want to remember it for what it was,
NOT just a SE form of it :lecture

GL should have more respect for SW on the count of all that money it made him :lecture

It's interesting that we've come to a point in our culture where what we value most is authenticity (locally-sourced food, mico-brews, etc.). And, as part of that, we have people like Harmy who have taken in the job of restoring authenticity. His work is a sort of video archaeology. Or, better yet, like Michelangelo, freeing the statue from the marble, he's freeing the movie from everything that isn't the movie.

All George ever had to do was just keep the films separate. "Star Wars" and "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope Special Edition." Just like when you buy ALIENS on disc you just choose theatrical or SE at the menu screen. Or even do separate boxes like LOTR Theatrical vs EE.

All George ever had to do was just keep the films separate. "Star Wars" and "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope Special Edition." Just like when you buy ALIENS on disc you just choose theatrical or SE at the menu screen. Or even do separate boxes like LOTR Theatrical vs EE.

I sometimes wonder what went through GL's mind when he was doing all these changes and adding **** in each SE.
I cant figure it out, was the guy in love with cgi and he was like "ooh look what I can do with cgi ", or was he trying to just
sabotage SW.

I sometimes wonder what went through GL's mind when he was doing all these changes and adding **** in each SE.
I cant figure it out, was the guy in love with cgi and he was like "ooh look what I can do with cgi ", or was he trying to just
sabotage SW.

He pawned it off as an excuse to make the movies he had always wanted to make. However, I think he ultimately fell into the trap of touching up just about anything he wanted. Throw in some dialogue changes, some dumb CGI rats in the streets, a dinosaur that pulls me out of the movie every freakin' time I saw it topped off with altering Han Solo's character in a way the fans couldn't imagine.

He pawned it off as an excuse to make the movies he had always wanted to make. However, I think he ultimately fell into the trap of touching up just about anything he wanted. Throw in some dialogue changes, some dumb CGI rats in the streets, a dinosaur that pulls me out of the movie every freakin' time I saw it topped off with altering Han Solo's character in a way the fans couldn't imagine.

It's a far cry from the shootout in the cantina that Ralph McQuarrie envisioned to a jarring freeze-frame with a couple of extra blaster shots drawn in.

I honestly think GL went through a SW mid life crisis and once he got the itch to upgrade his films he couldn't stop himself. He started to experience OCD with his own films and was never happy. I also feel that he couldn't accept mutliple versions of the films out there. He wanted to rewrite history instead of just adding to it. People can claim it was a money thing but I really don't think it was. Like others said...if it was for money, He would have gladly released multiple versions and milked it even further. No this was something deeper then that. I believe he went a little cookoo and became obsessed with his work. A perfect example is Michael Jackson. The more he altered his face and continued to screw it up, the more he felt the need to alter it further until he practically had nothing left.

Agreed 100%. Too bad Uncle George doesn't have your ability to think logically.

Just wanted to say cheers to Jimmy for hooking me up with these films. After years of the special editions it's like I've rediscovered these movies. It was so refreshing to see Han being a bad ass and shooting first!

Just wanted to say cheers to Jimmy for hooking me up with these films. After years of the special editions it's like I've rediscovered these movies. It was so refreshing to see Han being a bad ass and shooting first!

I was the same. After so many yrs now only seeing SW in its SE form I had no idea how much was changed from the originals.
I was like wow that's different! wow that wasn't in there before? I kinda wish I had the skill to make my own SE.
I would take only what I liked most about the SE footage and make my own custom SE version.

The Harmy versions are what a lot of us have hoped and waited for... I know I've said it before, but I was a pretty bitter SW fan when the BR were announced and not only didn't have the unaltered films but included even more ridiculous changes. At that point I started searching out alternatives and was just blown away when I learned about Harmy.

I downloaded and watched each one and literally it was like my love of Star Wars (which I hadn't really realized was so hurt) was instantly restored. I still hope we see them officially released in their original form, but if it never happens at least I know I own the movies I remember.

The Harmy versions are what a lot of us have hoped and waited for... I know I've said it before, but I was a pretty bitter SW fan when the BR were announced and not only didn't have the unaltered films but included even more ridiculous changes. At that point I started searching out alternatives and was just blown away when I learned about Harmy.

I downloaded and watched each one and literally it was like my love of Star Wars (which I hadn't really realized was so hurt) was instantly restored. I still hope we see them officially released in their original form, but if it never happens at least I know I own the movies I remember.
:lecture

In Harmy We Trust

Agreed on all counts. I thought I was capable of enjoying the SE's for a good number of years but watching the originals made me realize just how fragmented my enjoyment of the OT was while watching the SE's. I was able to enjoy the SE's but only for a few minutes at a time. Kind of like if you were flipping channels and saw that one of your favorite movies was on and you watch it for a couple minutes and then it goes to commercial and then you move on to watch something else. You can enjoy those couple minutes for what they are but the two hour complete experience is lost.

Harmy restored the ability to sit back and actually enjoy a complete SW cinematic experience. It was amazing to be reminded of how fun it is to watch SW for two hours straight instead of a few minutes here or there before some stupid thing interrupts it all.

Back