Harbinger Down (a return to practical effects)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wake up to yourself.. :lol I was being cheeky - & intentionally short, because of your naively blanket comment. :wave

In context, an old school production team - likely consisting of multiple units at least, working with various mediums & techniques, is a long drawn out, time consuming, labour intensive process. That equates to a lot of man hours, & potentially - money, comparatively speaking.

Compare that set of circumstances, to nowadays what typically what consists of a generally modest team of highly skilled animators & associated crew, those that do render work etc, & the folks that oversee those relatively small units - COUPLED with industry standard tools / software etc (that many independent projects have the opportunity to use now as tech gets more compact & cheaper), that have made the whole nature of the business FAR more accessible, practical, & COST EFFECTIVE.

If you don't understand that.. then enjoy having you head up your clacker. :)

yeah, bla bla bla. :cuckoo: :duh

Watch this if you want to learn something (they specifically talk about how practical is cheaper)

It sort of bothers me that they are promoting it as a "practical effects" movie. It's in large print on the posters. It should make me want to go see it because of the story and in this case the wonderful effects. Bullhorning the "practical effects" just seems like they don't have a good movie.

It sort of bothers me that they are promoting it as a "practical effects" movie. It's in large print on the posters. It should make me want to go see it because of the story and in this case the wonderful effects. Bullhorning the "practical effects" just seems like they don't have a good movie.

the reason the movie was made in the first place was because their practical effects were replaced in the Thing movie. I guess it is meant to show that practical can look better. The Thing looked pretty awful when they replaced them.
It's like, the whole reason to make this movie is to show fans and studios that not every horror movie needs to be cgi

the reason the movie was made in the first place was because their practical effects were replaced in the Thing movie. I guess it is meant to show that practical can look better. The Thing looked pretty awful when they replaced them.
It's like, the whole reason to make this movie is to show fans and studios that not every horror movie needs to be cgi

I understand the "why." I just don't like that it has to be on posters and advertised in that fashion. This movie should be good with or without practical effects. It shouldn't be about how the effects were done. If done right that message would have come across.

I understand the "why." I just don't like that it has to be on posters and advertised in that fashion. This movie should be good with or without practical effects. It shouldn't be about how the effects were done. If done right that message would have come across.

I guess it is their selling point because none of the actors are famous and like someone else said it looks like a rip off of The Thing. technically this is a low budget sci fi movie so they are putting emphasis on the effects just in case someone doesn't know their background.

It's like, if they don't mention the practical effect part so much people might disregard it. But mentioning it might bring more people in

Not always. Yeah CGI is great if the studio wants to fix or change something, but it is not always faster. Not if you want the CGI to look good

I think it is; the remake of the thing favored CG over practical cause it would have took them forever.

I think it is; the remake of the thing favored CG over practical cause it would have took them forever.

They were DONE. the movie was almost finished with Practical :lol:lol
they only replaced it because people in a test screening said it looked cheesy and stupid and that they preferred CGI. the studio spent millions to cover up most of the effects in the movie to please the facebook generation

No way. Then they would had to reshoot a lot of scenes.

they used the same scenes but cover the practical stuff with the CGI. Like painting on top of another painting. All they did was add CGI On Top of the real effects. :lecture

It's true, almost all the creatures from the movie were done with practical FX but then the studio went in and replaced almost everything with CGI. Only a few scenes in the film feature the original practical FX which is a shame because the CGI was crap.

they even created this awesome final creature for the ship and it was replaced by some crappy CGI too:

this
j3G91AwfpUmnH.jpg

replaced with this :rotfl:rotfl

jWKtlIEFhyzlt.jpg

I had forgotten what the final creature ended up looking like! Terrible!

And the original? That is one big ***** ****** nutsack if I ever saw one! :lol

Edit: Male and female anatomy was bleeped out. :)

Last edited:
"A return to practical effects."

Hmph. Prometheus critters were all practical except for the full grown trilobite at the very end. They even CG'd over a guy in makeup and then ended up discarding the pricey WETA CGI because it didn't look real enough.

The trilobite was CGI? They had a full-scale prop of it in the special features documentary that came with the blu-ray. I assumed they used the prop as a base, with CGI to make it come to life and move naturally.

Harbinger Down

"Tired of bloated CGI driven studio films? Excited by the prospect of the new STAR WARS relying more on traditional Practical FX? So are the Academy Award winning Creature FX creators at StudioADI who bring you HARBINGER DOWN, an indie sci-fi horror feature that boasts ALL PRACTICAL CREATURE FX!

Thousands of Kickstarter pledgers backed it, StudioADI made it, and Dark Dunes co-produced this loveletter to the classic sci-fi/horror films of the '80's. Inspired by ALIEN and THE THING, HARBINGER DOWN is written and directed by Alec Gillis, and boasts an Oscar winning production team including key artists that brought you ALIENS and TREMORS."

Back