Harbinger Down

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scareb

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, not too sure what the policy here is here on stuff like kick starter but I figured I'd post this anyways. Mods, if this is a no go, please feel free to delete this.

For all you guys out there who have a love of practical effects in film, amalgamated dynamics, the company responsible for the effects for AVP, Alien: Resurrection, The wasted and CGI'd over prequel to The Thing have decided that they want to make their own film utilizing only practical effects. There's only 35ish hours to go and they're 90K short of making this happen.

If you guys are like me and want to see more practical effects in film and less CGI, please show the love and throw em a couple bucks.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1117671683/harbinger-down-a-practical-creature-fx-film

(I have absolutely nothing to do with this project, just a huge FX fan)

Models from the film, private screenings of Monster Squad or Starship Troopers with the ADI guys, tours of ADI's facility, creature props, tours of Universal Studios with Woodruff and Gillis, speaking roles in the film or a producer credit. Pretty awesome rewards for backers!

Hope they can make some headway in the next 22 hours...

Hope they make their goal, these guys seem very passionate and I guess their telent goes without saying...

Still 8 hours to go if anyone wants to contribute and get some cool gear from ADI.

This could be an awesome project, though they need to remember to put as much passion into plot and characters as they are with their practical effects. It's good to have stunning visual effects but without a good script it could fall apart quickly.

Glad they reached their goal!

This is really the best news all day. Practical is almost always the way to go for Monsters.

Interview with Alec Gillis started the kick starter shame cgi ruined a lot of **** interview is long but worth watching if your a film fan.

[ame]https://youtu.be/nY_63Dlj83g[/ame]

Last edited:
This could be an awesome project, though they need to remember to put as much passion into plot and characters as they are with their practical effects. It's good to have stunning visual effects but without a good script it could fall apart quickly.

Glad they reached their goal!

Agreed. In all honesty, I wasn't too compelled by the plot -- nor the monster designs themselves from what they've revealed so far. The whole "human mutating into a weird anatomically-****ed tooth monster" has been done before numerous times. I'd rather they tried for more original/ambitious creature design.

Honestly, I don't really care about the plot. This whole project isn't about filmmaking. It's about effects, and how to use them.

If the film succeeds in making realistic looking creatures without the use of CGI (aside from little touch ups), then it's going to work. It seems to be a film that has one thing to say. Practical Ain't Dead Yet.

And then after, who knows. Maybe someone will get inspired to make a really, really good film using these things more.

Back