HAPPY THANKSGIVING Freaks!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im an expat with some native american blood so i personally find the holiday offensive in terms of its 'meaning'.
"The modern Thanksgiving holiday traces its origins from a 1621 celebration at the Plymouth Plantation, where the Plymouth settlers held a harvest feast after a successful growing season. It is this iconic event that is generally referred to as the "First Thanksgiving.""

Yeah, that's SO offensive. :rolleyes:

"The modern Thanksgiving holiday traces its origins from a 1621 celebration at the Plymouth Plantation, where the Plymouth settlers held a harvest feast after a successful growing season. It is this iconic event that is generally referred to as the "First Thanksgiving.""

Yeah, that's SO offensive. :rolleyes:

could be coz native americans resent the fact that their help during harvest those first few years was quickly forgotten when later englishmen came. and perhaps if that initial friendship had been garnered, millions of native americans wouldn't have died, but perhaps would have been able to live in peace alongside the new immigrants.

i don't know - i'm not a historian, or an american. but i think this might be what laudanum might be referring to. it's amazing to think things that are thought to be wholesome and great traditions can sometimes be hated by certain peoples. i recently found out the majority of sikhs hate gandhi. and they have some convincing reasons too, for them.

anyway, HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!!

im an expat with some native american blood so i personally find the holiday offensive in terms of its 'meaning'. on the other hand i always used it as a good excuse to get together with the family and pass out after gettin loaded on that sweet sweet tryptophan. hope everyone has a good one.
um....interesting, i love the hypocrisy
...so, question...you're part native american who moved to south korea, or do you have native american and south korean ancestors and now you live in south korea? i'm just curious, my mind wanders on things like this
i recently found out the majority of sikhs hate gandhi. and they have some convincing reasons too, for them.

my sikh friend believes that gandhi's goal in life (aside from his yearning desire for world peace) was to kill off all the sikhs...completely erase them from this earth.

am i the only one who think that sounds a bit far fetched about gandhi of all people? if it were hitler we were talkin about, i'd understand, but gandhi? really?

my sikh friend believes that gandhi's goal in life (aside from his yearning desire for world peace) was to kill off all the sikhs...completely erase them from this earth.

am i the only one who think that sounds a bit far fetched about gandhi of all people? if it were hitler we were talkin about, i'd understand, but gandhi? really?

yeah, i think that might be going too far. i love gandhi, but you never know with people unless you were really there to see the person behind the legend. sikhs hate gandhi for a number of reasons, which i won't go into, but some of them are based in opposing ideals on rebellion, and for more specific political issues. there've been a number of books written on the subject, and it was something i didn't even know about until i asked a few sikhs about it. so i guess it goes to show, not everything is sacred and revered by everyone. i guess we have to be sensitive to the viewpoints held by other groups too.

but still, this is a HAPPY thanksgiving thread. so let's keep it cheery. happy black friday folks. i hope you have more luck trying to get your 50% off than i did!

Back