HAPPY PS3 LAUNCH DAY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, when it comes to system launches anymore... I don't even waste my time. I really wanted a 360 when it came out, but I have waited until this christmas to even seriously try and get it.. and even then.. It's hard to justify that kind of money to something that's not in my collection or bills. I already have enough problem with my hobbies costing so much.

The PS3, while probably better graphics and nice games that will accompany it... just doesn't justify going and camping outside Best Buy or dropping a solid 1 or 2K on a system. That's going too far IMO.... If SSC did things like that and I had to do that kind of stuff to own their product... you can bet that my collecting days would be over.

I love video games but I refuse to drop that kind of cash for a system. Too poor for that. :monkey2

Batty said:
Its what I call the "Wal-Mart Mentality". Every year on the day after Thanksgiving there is a stampede at the local Wal-Mart which usually sends a few people to the hospital.

It is lame and symptomatic of the culture of Instant Gratification we live in (especially here in the States). :lecture Right up there with Super Size meals, ever enlargening landfills, and Hummers.

Sony doesn't want to sell to flippers? ahhahahahah man this is free press for them!! Every fricken news channel, tv station ect is talking about it, they saved millions abone millions in advertising.

Easy money.

I would flip every one I got my hands on.

I failed twice while it was in my cart. Oh well.

Good job to those who got them!

You know whats worse!! people being shot and mugged over this gaming console. What a sad world we live in.

Gruson said:
Easy money.

I would flip every one I got my hands on.

I failed twice while it was in my cart. Oh well.

Good job to those who got them!

As soon as I saw your post, I was like "Flip" ;P

I got my PS3 from GameStop, just deciding how to sell it. Too many 0 bidders trying to ruin sellers lives.

Asura said:
You know whats worse!! people being shot and mugged over this gaming console. What a sad world we live in.

I got my PS3 from GameStop, just deciding how to sell it. Too many 0 bidders trying to ruin sellers lives.

yeah, but thats why you can reserve the right to sell to people with only a certain % of positive feedbacks.

Asura said:

List as a buy it now with immediate payment required. You can't actually win the auction til you pay for it.

:lol wow!!! i tried to get one today but the worker told me at Target that they only had 8 in stock and people were waiting in line 3 days before :lol ...anything to flip i guess. ...but the game Resistance looks great though. I will just wait 2 years to get one.

I just got home from AZ today and some guy they interviewed this morning said he was in line for 3 day and he was going home to sell it on ebay. Wow thats deication, but then I did the math I could take a few days off and make at least a grand by sitting on my butt in front of Target, well as long as you don't get shot like some guy did when they robbed everyone in line.

prices have dropped off alot since yesterday. No more hitting the 2 grand mark.

..edit..

I ended up selling my PS3 yesterday, sold for a profit of $1240 (rounded).

Last edited:
As soon as they are $599 with no tax and with free shipping at Amazon, I will be all over the PS3. Until then--nothing for me. I won't pay a penny over the already high MSRP.

Asura said:
prices have dropped off alot since yesterday. No more hitting the 2 grand mark.
I bet the prices will rise again by Christmas because there is no way Sony can meet the demand. People will get desperate.

$3k, check this one out.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStation3-PS3-Console-60GB-System-New-w-receipt_W0QQitemZ130049127051QQihZ003QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this idiotic domain name deal
https://cgi.ebay.com/PLAYSTATION3MALL-COM-HOT-DOMAIN-PS3-Playstation3_W0QQitemZ160053084007QQihZ006QQcategoryZ11153QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's funny how people want to blame Sony for what's happened over the release. It's not Sony that's causing the problem, it's greed and the 'I gotta have i now' instant gratification mentality. If people would have some self control and wait until there is more supply none of this would happen.

If I was able to buy and flip then I would but I, for one, will not be getting until the supply has leveled out and for the most part I am more interested in the Blu-ray player and my kid can play the games.

Of course Sony want's to make a profit but right now they are not. It will be in the long run that they will profit along with the royalties for the game designers.

Additionally, Sony is not the only company that has the same issue of not enough supply for the demand when released, all the major players were in the same wagon. It's just not noticed as much for the Wii since the PS3 is in the spotlight and MS was the same, though not to this extreme.
If Sony was able to produce on schedule there would be millions in the consumers hands right now but due to various production issues they were delayed. Problems with the Blu-ray, of course, it's new technology, and designing a new processor for the system. MS can't touch it and neither can Nintendo.

You hear people complaining about it and then what happens, they will eventually go out and buy one. Stop complaining, this is the best system around and will be for a long time or at least stand up and don't buy it if it's so bad.

I know, some are saying he is full of it but I get all my information from a Sony employee that is a close family member. And yes, I wish I could get a PS3 from them but Sony employees can't even get them yet.

A lot of little thoughts here so I guess that it's a little more than my 2 cents worth

I'll be more interested to find out the price of the 1/1 R2D2 and C3PO

The true advantage of the PS3. Blu-Ray for movie watching with HDMI. Only thing. The PS3's Blu-Ray player does not upscale your regular DVD collection to 720p,1080i or 1080p. How nice for a $600 console......Oh yes. The Xbox360 does all that.....and BC games. PS3? Not

Yes it is disappointing that the PS3 does not upconvert regular DVDs or even PS2/PS1 games. Sucks... But as a Blu-Ray player it is cool, and a lot less expensive than a standalone player (retail that is).

I am hoping HD-DVD will win out, but in meantime will be able to watch both (picked up the HD-DVD drive for the 360 as well ;) ) If a movie comes out in both formats, will make sure to get the HD-DVD version.

I also like how some of the HD-DVD movies will play in a regular DVD drive (in standard definition of course).

Bill Gates said:
"Sony can make 80,000 bricks, and people would buy them. "

Last edited:
Spiff said:
Yes it is disappointing that the PS3 does not upconvert regular DVDs or even PS2/PS1 games. Sucks... But as a Blu-Ray player it is cool, and a lot less expensive than a standalone player (retail that is).

I am hoping HD-DVD will win out, but in meantime will be able to watch both (picked up the HD-DVD drive for the 360 as well ;) ) If a movie comes out in both formats, will make sure to get the HD-DVD version.

I also like how some of the HD-DVD movies will play in a regular DVD drive (in standard definition of course).

I noticed that with a few of the HD-DVD titles. I almost picked up Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift & The Break-up because it had the feature to play both standard and HD instead of the stand-alone DVD. (So I wouldn't have to rush out and buy more HD movies when the time is right)

The only thing that held me back was to wait out the whole Blu Ray vs. HD DVD wars. I'm hoping HD-DVD wins out as well...I think Blu Ray is fine for the PS3 similar to what UMD is for PSP. I can only hope I'm right in the long run...

My sister is one of the media managers at our local Best Buy and she can't give me any advance notice as to when they will be getting more PS3s in stock or she could get in trouble. (Understandable.)

However, the PS3s are coming directly from Sony via UPS and are not arriving on the Best Buy truck. This has created an interesting problem for customers. They had a very small second shipment arrive, and the employees are not allowed to buy them, hold them back, or to tell any of their friends about them. HOWEVER, the UPS driver called his friends and told them that he just delivered some PS3s at Best Buy, and they hopped in their cars and drove right down to stand in a line in front of the door into the back room to pick up some systems that nobody should have known about. So I have been foiled again in my search for a PS3...

Format war update:

Top Selling High Definition Movies at Amazon
Blu-Ray titles listed in blue, HD-DVD titles listed in red. The number represents their placement on the DVD Top Sellers list, which includes DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray disc sales.

Superman Returns: #95
Batman Begins: #331
Superman Returns: #457
Superman: #504
Superman II: #548
V for Vendetta: #698
Serenity: #1028
The Mummy: #1061
Mission: Impossible Collection: #1149
King Kong: #1345
Digital Video Essentials: #1352
A Christmas Story: #1391
Ice Age 2: #1409

So it looks like the release of the PS3 hasn't pumped up Blu-ray movies sales just yet.

tomandshell said:
My sister is one of the media managers at our local Best Buy and she can't give me any advance notice as to when they will be getting more PS3s in stock or she could get in trouble. (Understandable.)

However, the PS3s are coming directly from Sony via UPS and are not arriving on the Best Buy truck. This has created an interesting problem for customers. They had a very small second shipment arrive, and the employees are not allowed to buy them, hold them back, or to tell any of their friends about them. HOWEVER, the UPS driver called his friends and told them that he just delivered some PS3s at Best Buy, and they hopped in their cars and drove right down to stand in a line in front of the door into the back room to pick up some systems that nobody should have known about. So I have been foiled again in my search for a PS3...

Format war update:

Top Selling High Definition Movies at Amazon
Blu-Ray titles listed in blue, HD-DVD titles listed in red. The number represents their placement on the DVD Top Sellers list, which includes DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray disc sales.

Superman Returns: #95
Batman Begins: #331
Superman Returns: #457
Superman: #504
Superman II: #548
V for Vendetta: #698
Serenity: #1028
The Mummy: #1061
Mission: Impossible Collection: #1149
King Kong: #1345
Digital Video Essentials: #1352
A Christmas Story: #1391
Ice Age 2: #1409

So it looks like the release of the PS3 hasn't pumped up Blu-ray movies sales just yet.
The UPS guys snagging those systems makes me laugh. I saw a PS3 the other day in my local Wal-Mart and I passed it right up- I am having way too much fun with my Wii!!!!!!!!!

Civil War
I'm with HD-DVD

too bad someone couldn't grab the "UPS friends' " ps3 boxes and crush them, pock holes in them and throw them on the ground and when they asked why they did that tell them that it has been delivered by UPS. :lol

Back