1/6 Han Solo In Carbonite New Figure by Sideshow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be very cautious with ordering this with the Hot Toys Bespin Han waiting in the wings. I would be surprised if there wasn't a deluxe version with a carbonite block included.

You can pay $225 for SSC's version on discount, or buy HT's version for $330 for the figure and the block.

This Sideshow Carbonite is the ROTJ style (even though it includes an ESB style display option.) I'd 100% assume the HT version will be ESB style if it comes with Han Bespin.

So the two pieces - HT and SSC - would be different and "technically" you couldn't display the HT ESB version in a Jabba display setting (but yes, most don't know the differences and use the SSC ROTJ style for an ESB display.)

It seems not many people are aware that the ESB and ROTJ blocks do have key differences. The most obvious difference is that the ESB block's side bevel (angle inward) from back to front, whereas the ROTJ style is square.

Even Kenner knew about the difference in the vintage days - the ESB one that came with Slave I has the beveled edges, while the POTF carded ROTJ style one is square:

Attachments

• vinthancarbonite8.jpg
    vinthancarbonite8.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 388
The most obvious difference is that the ESB block's side bevel (angle inward) from back to front, whereas the ROTJ style is square.

Even Kenner knew about the difference in the vintage days - the ESB one that came with Slave I has the beveled edges, while the POTF carded ROTJ style one is square:

I'd wager that HT would make the square block if it was included with Bespin Han ... prop accuracy be damned. The beveled edge version would look weird.

I don't think anyone is clamoring for a screen-accurate beveled-edge carbonite block. It's one of those things where collectors wouldn't even know the difference because you never really see it has a beveled edge in the film, and no one would've known if it wasn't for collectible companies trying to be squeeze every dollar and sell you multiple versions of the same thing.

Coming from the guy who will buy 3 different versions of Darth Vader, in what is 'supposed' to be the same set of armor ... I don't buy that Vader shined up his helmet between chasing down Rebels.

I'd wager that HT would make the square block if it was included with Bespin Han ... prop accuracy be damned. The beveled edge version would look weird.

I don't think anyone is clamoring for a screen-accurate beveled-edge carbonite block. It's one of those things where collectors wouldn't even know the difference because you never really see it has a beveled edge in the film, and no one would've known if it wasn't for collectible companies trying to be squeeze every dollar and sell you multiple versions of the same thing.

Coming from the guy who will buy 3 different versions of Darth Vader, in what is 'supposed' to be the same set of armor ... I don't buy that Vader shined up his helmet between chasing down Rebels.

Around these parts saying "prop accuracy be damned" and screen accurate details are "weird" - and should be ignored - is kind of a no-no.:lol

I actually prefer the more elegant look of the bevel (it's quite clearly on show in the Bespin corridor) - and obviously it's not as pronounced as the Kenner Slave I block bevel is.

HT has a tendency to idealize or mess up the scale on accessories - the interrogation droid, mouse droid, Yoda accessories, Leia Hoth accessories etc were either noticeably underscale or incorrect (Leia Hoth's pistol is awful, actually based on the nerf gun.) It all depends on whether HT considers the carb block to be a "major accessory" like the Emperor's throne (which they got super close to screen accuarate on) or a larger version of the "included with the figure" type accessories like those listed above, where they don't seem to care about accuracy.

That being said about HT, both of the SSC carbonites have a grab-bag of inaccuracies (some bizarre oversights,) so I'm hoping for a HT take on it too.

My guess is that the way LFL and now Disney has "idealized" certain SW character and prop detail specs (for example, the mandated too-tall Vader and too-short R2 for 1/6 figs) they may not even be aware that the two blocks are different so all blocks may have to look like the slightly duller looking ROTJ-style squared block.

yeah I broke down and bought it for 225. plus there free shipping. I had 20.20 in reward points to take it down a little be cool to have there first release and this as well.

This is 25% off at Zing until Thursday - $291AUD. Best price we are likely to see down under for this piece given current exchange. I just grabbed one with afterpay to make it even easier.

This is 25% off at Zing until Thursday - $291AUD. Best price we are likely to see down under for this piece given current exchange. I just grabbed one with afterpay to make it even easier.

Kinda want it to go with my Boba but not crazy about the base.

Kinda want it to go with my Boba but not crazy about the base.

Yea the base does kinda sick cause of the size I got him to go with my esb boba hope someone eventually make a smaller aftermarket one incase hot toys ever makes lando I can have all three in a detolf together

Yea the base does kinda sick cause of the size I got him to go with my esb boba hope someone eventually make a smaller aftermarket one incase hot toys ever makes lando I can have all three in a detolf together

Yeah, base is way too large. I just have him displayed in the carbonite block, no base.

Yeah the carbonite block itself looks great to me. Wish they had figured out something that was the same height and worked in conjunction with the original Boba light-up base, which everyone loves. Was considering Jazz's backdrop but then it all gets more expensive than I wanted to spend.

Wow. That was quick. Zing delivered in under 24 hours.

Nice, now pics!

Can this stand on its own? And if so, could someone pose it on the HT Boba stand? Curious if it would look good like that, be nice to have those stands matching if possible.

Nice pic, TT.

The base below always reminds me of a hard drive from like five years ago though. This and the SSC 4-LOM were the two biggest in-hand surprises for me last year. I really was so meh on it arriving but was really pretty impressed with it in-hand, even with the inaccuracies it has.

Love the setup, TonTon! :rock

I planned something similar with Boba and just one Storm Trooper. Now I have to reconsider displaying a second ST...

:duff Thanks guys.

I just a moment ago actually took one out to try both Boba and one behind the block. I need to get a second strip of lights as everything gets lost if it’s not right up front in the shelf. Kind of annoying.

Nice pic, TT.

The base below always reminds me of a hard drive from like five years ago though. This and the SSC 4-LOM were the two biggest in-hand surprises for me last year. I really was so meh on it arriving but was really pretty impressed with it in-hand, even with the inaccuracies it has.

Have you come up with any ideas for display? When I display it vertically I plan to ditch the base as it seems to stand on its own well. I contemplated tracking down a bunch of the Hot Toys Boba stands but for that price I could probably just pick up a Jazz Bespin display. Would be cool if he had worked in a hole to accommodate the SS pole.

Was really surprised how cool the horizontal display, or the idea of it, looks. Thinking a black background and a thinner full detolf size Bespin floor could help sell the floating aspect.

Have you come up with any ideas for display? When I display it vertically I plan to ditch the base as it seems to stand on its own well. I contemplated tracking down a bunch of the Hot Toys Boba stands but for that price I could probably just pick up a Jazz Bespin display. Would be cool if he had worked in a hole to accommodate the SS pole.

Was really surprised how cool the horizontal display, or the idea of it, looks. Thinking a black background and a thinner full detolf size Bespin floor could help sell the floating aspect.

I think horizontal looks best on a lower detolf shelf. You can still see the detail of the front of the block but also the cool side panels.

Mine currently lives upright in the carbon freeze dio Joost made. But if I lose my mind and buy the Jabba setup I would probably pick up another one of these and build a custom palace wall to hang it on.

:duff Thanks guys.

I just a moment ago actually took one out to try both Boba and one behind the block. I need to get a second strip of lights as everything gets lost if it’s not right up front in the shelf. Kind of annoying.

Mine is still in "sitting around" mode as I get going on the other Jabba creatures (Squidhead, Klaatu etc.) for the Jabba dio. My plan is to place a magnet on the wall of the dio and have the block stuck there. There is room on the base to display a figure next to it, but I'm just not really a fan of everything else that comes with the set other than the block itself - really not sure why Sideshow loves these black painted metal posts when there are ways to use clear plexi poles/support.

I did contemplate using the base with vertical block as backdrop for my Ugnaught but it was too substantial for such a small fig.

I like the electronics/lights on the piece, even if what they did isn't correct.

Back