HALLOWEEN Franchise Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as cinematography goes, I love the shot in H4 when Loomis first spots Michael and they use that neat zoom effect.

I think it was Yablans that commented on how they did that scene. He said that they had a small lamp or flashlight that slowly brightened on his mask. So he was always standing in the same spot but needed the light to bring his mask to the surface. Very creative for 1978 imo.

Yep. That's what happens when you combine Carpenter and Dean Cundey. Pure genius.

As far as cinematography goes, I love the shot in H4 when Loomis first spots Michael and they use that neat zoom effect.

I think it's called a "rack". I'm no film school grad, but one of my friends is and he calls it a rack everytime we see it in movies. H4 has a great one, and others that come to mind are Poltergeist and (the greatest) Jaws (when Brody sees Alex Kitner getting attacked).

I think it's done by moving the camera in while pulling the zoom out, or vice-versa.

I don't know the term, but it's a great visual, though from the explanation, it seems like a lot of work to do it, syncing everything up and all, though with computers today it's probably a piece of cake but not back in the 70s and 80s.

I think it's called a "rack". I'm no film school grad, but one of my friends is and he calls it a rack everytime we see it in movies. H4 has a great one, and others that come to mind are Poltergeist and (the greatest) Jaws (when Brody sees Alex Kitner getting attacked).

I think it's done by moving the camera in while pulling the zoom out, or vice-versa.

Its called a "Dolly" zoom Blake.

Its called a "Dolly" zoom Blake.

Damn film school grad, no wonder he has not made a film yet...:rotfl

At least I got the content right (from wiki):

The effect is achieved by using the setting of a zoom lens to adjust the angle of view (often referred to as field of view) while the camera dollies (or moves) towards or away from the subject in such a way as to keep the subject the same size in the frame throughout. In its classic form, the camera is pulled away from a subject whilst the lens zooms in, or vice-versa. Thus, during the zoom, there is a continuous perspective distortion, the most directly noticeable feature being that the background appears to change size relative to the subject.

Yeah, no kidding. You gotta think that would be a tough thing to pull off well.

Just based on my own photography experience, the sheer steadiness and maintained speed of hand would be nuts. You have to keep from moving any one of the elements faster or slower than the others at any point, I'd screw up so many times I'd literally get kicked off the set :lol

I've never seen his film, but according to the H4 director, the Dolly Zoom was pioneered by Hitchcock.

I don't know the term, but it's a great visual, though from the explanation, it seems like a lot of work to do it, syncing everything up and all, though with computers today it's probably a piece of cake but not back in the 70s and 80s.

Thats why movies back then are so well done. Everything had to be perfect. They done everything by hand which show their passion on making a great movie. Nowadays they just used their fingers on a computer to make things happen. Since its so easy, no passion in their works.

I have to say Micheal walking through the glass door in part 2 was pretty damn memorable.

The other scene that sticks out for me that is creepy to me is when hes got Laurie cornered and she shoots him in the face. So he grabs his face and just kinda starts blindly slashing with the scalpel while letting out that "in pain" scream. That scene always got me like holy caca, Micheals a beast!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/GoqxhvdAdns&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/GoqxhvdAdns&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I decided to re explore the unholy trinity franchises this September/October before Halloween. I just finished watching Halloween through Halloween: resurrection. It got pretty tough at some points. and I've already seen too much of the rob zombie one's so I skipped them. I have to say that I think my favorite is Halloween II 1981.

And season of the which is pretty ^^^^en rad considering how it has nothing to do with anything. It doesn't really have a place in the franchise, that's the only thing that hurts it in my opinion.

So now on to Friday the 13th..

My ringtone is the Silver Shamrock song. It freaks people out when they first hear it.

It doesn't really have a place in the franchise, that's the only thing that hurts it in my opinion.

I think that's what ultimately hurt sales and everything for them. If it hadn't had the Halloween 3 part of the title, it may have done better as just a new horror film, but apparently after just 2 movies, Michael had been burnt into people's minds and Halloween was synonymous with Michael Myers and you couldn't split them up. I think the filmmakers didn't realize that while they sort of saw Halloween as a title for films about bizarre happenings on the holiday, the audience had already come to expect Halloween to mean a Michael Myers movie.

I think that's what ultimately hurt sales and everything for them. If it hadn't had the Halloween 3 part of the title, it may have done better as just a new horror film, but apparently after just 2 movies, Michael had been burnt into people's minds and Halloween was synonymous with Michael Myers and you couldn't split them up. I think the filmmakers didn't realize that while they sort of saw Halloween as a title for films about bizarre happenings on the holiday, the audience had already come to expect Halloween to mean a Michael Myers movie.

I completely agree, and that's why I'm going to give it the credit it deserves (on a personal level obviously) by grabbing a copy on DVD this October and adding it to my movie lineup for this year.

Back