Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased my second pistol today. I saw a Walther P22 for $300 new, no tax, at local gun show. I wanted to see what else was at the show and when I came back, some guy was in the process of buying it. I was pissed cause same thing happened last time I was going to buy a Sig mosquito.

Anyway, called up a buddy who told me some at a pawn shop, which I ended up by buying, $265 used with case and extra mag out the door.

I really like how this small gun feels. Very compact and sturdy, good weight.

Question: I bought some .22 LR hollow point hyper-velocity rounds (Aguila). Is there going to be any issue with firing high velocity rounds through this gun? I read a warning earlier in this thread and didn't know high velocity rounds could damage certain guns.

not sure about .22LR hyper velocity rounds but i've read that +p+ 9mm could potentially increase barrel wear. something about higher than saami standard pressures.

https://www.handloads.com/misc/saami.htm

it's a question i've been looking into myself regarding .223/.556 and .308/7.62x51 rounds. i know you can't shoot .556 out of a .223 only barrel and i believe the milspec rounds (.556/7.62) are loaded at higher pressures. i'm going to stick with cheap .223/55gr plinking rounds for my AR/ACR/SL8 rifles but i'm wondering what to pick for my M1A rifles. .308 or 7.62? my co-worker says to stay away from commercial .308 rounds because of softer primers. higher (rare?) chances of "slam-fire". :eek:

not sure about .22LR hyper velocity rounds but i've read that +p+ 9mm could potentially increase barrel wear. something about higher than saami standard pressures.

https://www.handloads.com/misc/saami.htm

it's a question i've been looking into myself regarding .223/.556 and .308/7.62x51 rounds. i know you can't shoot .556 out of a .223 only barrel and i believe the milspec rounds (.556/7.62) are loaded at higher pressures. i'm going to stick with cheap .223/55gr plinking rounds for my AR/ACR/SL8 rifles but i'm wondering what to pick for my M1A rifles. .308 or 7.62? my co-worker says to stay away from commercial .308 rounds because of softer primers. higher (rare?) chances of "slam-fire". :eek:

You mean 5.56.

btw, i finally went to the range yesterday. boy was i rusty! i brought my FNP9, Beretta PX4, FN57, and ACR. i was shooting them for the first time except for the 5.7 which i ended up not shooting.

the FNP9 shot well for me except for when i handed it to a co-worker. she managed to get two FTF's (failed to feed). i'm pretty sure she was limp-wristing it. overall i put 200 rds through it with no problems. i was also testing out a new grip technique. supporting hand resting on receiver and thumbs forward. worked well but i think there were a couple times i accidentally hit the decocker with my right thumb. ugh. i'll have to train my right thumb not to creep over.

next up was the PX4. another 200 rds with no problems. the only thing i hated about it is racking the slide. the darn decocker "horns" get in the way when trying to get a full overhand grip. i ended up using the slide release. too bad the 'type C' isn't available in CA.

lastly, we went to the rifle range. i got about 100 troublefree rds through my ACR. at 20 yards i wasn't exactly hitting on target but then again i was using iron sights which definitely needed adjusting. luckily the rangemaster had a front sighting tool which helped a lot. i need to get one.

it was a fun day. :) unfortunately the range doesn't allow video. :( bummer.

Gun show here in Vegas in a few weeks, I need to stock up on 7.62 rounds; I went through about 300 this weekend in the AK. :yess: I am also on the lookout for a nice 100 round drum. :panic:

Question: I bought some .22 LR hollow point hyper-velocity rounds (Aguila). Is there going to be any issue with firing high velocity rounds through this gun? I read a warning earlier in this thread and didn't know high velocity rounds could damage certain guns.

Hi Mesa,

That was me talking earlier in the thread about "stinger" .22 loads damaging certain types of guns. In your post above, you interchange hyper velocity and high velocity. Hyper and High velocity are two different kinds of ammo. High velocity is what you want, and hyper velocity should probably be avoided.

I have always been told that you shouldn't use sub-sonic or hyper velocity ammo in semi-auto pistols or rifles. Sub-sonic rounds may not be powerful enough to cycle the action of semi-auto guns, and the hyper velocity ammo is too hot for some of the gun components and can lead to catastrophic failure of the gun. Nobody wants a gun to blow up in their hand, so hyper velocity rounds are best used in bolt action rifles.

Here is a link to the owners manual for the P22...

https://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/other/P22_USA_Manual.pdf

In the manual it says "Use only high velocity ammo in your P22." It also actually states not to use standard velocity ammo. It doesn't specifically say to avoid hyper velocity ammo.

I would also check out the Rimfire central forum if I were you. There are a ton of great threads with info about the P22. I have learned a lot there about my own P22. There are guys there that shoot hyper velocity loads out of their P22's all the time. There are also guys there who tell you it isn't a good idea. Here is a good thread about ammo for the P22...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157561

There are threads there showing the damage to various types of guns caused by stingers. I try to avoid them for the most part.

Last edited:
I just bough a .38 Bull barrel, factory converted to .22

323411.jpg

Three reasons, in Sweden its easier to get licence for a .22 then a .38, second,
.38 rounds are really expensive in sweden and third, this way i can also fire LEP rounds (LEP stands for Luftenergiepatrone which is german for Air energy cartridge, its a .38 cartridge loaded with air instead of gunpowder)

320227.jpg

I just bough a .38 Bull barrel, factory converted to .22

323411.jpg

Three reasons, in Sweden its easier to get licence for a .22 then a .38, second,
.38 rounds are really expensive in sweden and third, this way i can also fire LEP rounds (LEP stands for Luftenergiepatrone which is german for Air energy cartridge, its a .38 cartridge loaded with air instead of gunpowder)

320227.jpg

What kind of muzzle vilocity do the LEP rounds get compared to powder?

450 m/s but the grain of an air gun pellet is much less so you can not compare it with a .38 round at all, but its great for practice and you can fire it anywhere, the .38 round needs a certified shooting range (At least in sweden)

They got 9mm and 5.56 rounds too, the recoil is however too low to recycle the mechanism of semi automatic pistols (You will have to ____ the gun each round), maybe a gas operated gun would work :p

Kel Tec Plr16, it is 2.23/556 and can hold any AR mag.

:thud:

Matt, I would highly recommend getting a good SBR'd AR (Colt, BCM, Noveske or Daniel Defense) instead. And if you don't want to deal with the paperwork, then pickup up an AUG or other bullpup type rifle. These alternatives are simply more applicable, all around. Personally, I see an AR pistol as a severely-compromised weapon with no clearly-definable role. The novelty will wear off quickly once you fire a few rounds...

If you are deadset on picking one up, regardless, then I suggest you build your own using better quality parts.

Hi Mesa,

That was me talking earlier in the thread about "stinger" .22 loads damaging certain types of guns. In your post above, you interchange hyper velocity and high velocity. Hyper and High velocity are two different kinds of ammo. High velocity is what you want, and hyper velocity should probably be avoided.

I have always been told that you shouldn't use sub-sonic or hyper velocity ammo in semi-auto pistols or rifles. Sub-sonic rounds may not be powerful enough to cycle the action of semi-auto guns, and the hyper velocity ammo is too hot for some of the gun components and can lead to catastrophic failure of the gun. Nobody wants a gun to blow up in their hand, so hyper velocity rounds are best used in bolt action rifles.

Here is a link to the owners manual for the P22...

https://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/other/P22_USA_Manual.pdf

In the manual it says "Use only high velocity ammo in your P22." It also actually states not to use standard velocity ammo. It doesn't specifically say to avoid hyper velocity ammo.

I would also check out the Rimfire central forum if I were you. There are a ton of great threads with info about the P22. I have learned a lot there about my own P22. There are guys there that shoot hyper velocity loads out of their P22's all the time. There are also guys there who tell you it isn't a good idea. Here is a good thread about ammo for the P22...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157561

There are threads there showing the damage to various types of guns caused by stingers. I try to avoid them for the most part.

Thanks for the links and info. My buddy is willing to trade some standard 22 rounds for the hyper-velocity ones I bought, he can use them in his rifle. And I really appreciate the pdf link to the ownders manual as mine didn't come with one.

I'm still learning about all there is to know regarding guns and ammo, a little pissed the guy behind the booth pointed me in this direction when I clearly asked which rounds would work best for what I had just bought.

Just received my ME 4" Bull Barrel, it's a very nice revolver. German built, and the quality really feels. Just to ____ the hammer is a delight.

I tried it both with .22' rounds and LEP rounds, I must say the LEP rounds got a really nice feel too them, perfect practice rounds. It takes about 5-10 minutes to fill 24 rounds up if you are two persons, sounds like a lot of work, but since you are two (One handling the scuba tank and one handling the cartridge) you can socialize during the time. It probably takes some more time if you are alone since then you need to handle both the tank and the cartridge.

A pic i just took of it.
me.jpg

me_2.jpg

me_3.jpg

Last edited:
Back