Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like it!

https://www.imfdb.org/index.php/G.I._Joe:_The_Rise_of_Cobra

btw, i picked up my USP .45 Compact and Saiga 7.62 last night. i can not wait to take these new toys out to the range! :chew

nice grab!!! those are some great firing weapons. my buddy has one that he has let me shoot several times. once i get a real job and collect some paychecks i want to grab me a Kimber .45 and a HK .416 to replace my AR-15.
foorht.jpg

good luck on that 416, prepare to drop some serious coin, just make sure to do your research if you can snag one, I've heard non-impressive things about them.

^^^ i've read both good and bad things about them.
~~also, after reading through some of these posts i've had a craving to go tothe range. i went yesterday and rented one of their Sig P226 and loved it....so much that i'll be picking one up the next time we have a gun show in the area (try to save some money)

^ I love the Socom 16 and the USP.
I went looking at some rifles today, checking out some .22. What do you guys recommend. I like the Rugger 10/22, what about a marlin model 60 or a mossberg model 702? I'm looking for something cheap and reliable.

^ I love the Socom 16 and the USP.
I went looking at some rifles today, checking out some .22. What do you guys recommend. I like the Rugger 10/22, what about a marlin model 60 or a mossberg model 702? I'm looking for something cheap and reliable.

I can help you with this one. There are two options when it comes to cheap .22 rifles; Marlin and Ruger. Everything else falls below the quality of these two brands. Don't let the low price of these rifles fool you into thinking that they are somehow lower quality. You can spend twice the price on a .22 rifle and get half the quality of a Marlin or Ruger.

If you want a great rifle right out of the box, get a Marlin. They are the most accurate without any tinkering, and they are more affordable than the Ruger 10/22. A brand new 10/22 will usually need some tinkering with the trigger and or barrel to be as accurate as a Marlin. There are some people who end up putting two or three times more money into fixing up their Ruger when they could have just bought a Marlin and had a great rifle to begin with.

However, since Ruger's need work to make them awesome, there are a lot of aftermarket parts available to upgrade them. There aren't really any aftermarket parts for a Marlin, because the rifle doesn't need them. Be warned, once you buy a .22 rifle and see how fun and cheap they are to shoot, you will be hooked and WILL end up buying a second or third 22. :lol

If you decide to go with the Marlin, the model 60 is a great rifle. I would also recommend that you look at a bolt action Marlin like the 981t. You can shoot any .22 shell out of a bolt action. You can't shoot hyper-velocity ammo in a model 60. You will destroy the rifle and could injure yourself in the process. No stingers in a semi-auto! You are also in luck, as Marlin is running a rebate special right now. If you buy a rifle before December, you can get a rebate by mail. Here is a link to the coupon... https://www.marlinfirearms.com/PDFs/mar_coupon.pdf

You can special order most any .22 at Walmart for the lowest price you are likely to find. These are two great Marlin rifles that you can get the $20 rebate on using the coupon above...

Marlin 981t... https://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/981T.asp

Marlin 795... https://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/795.asp

If you want to learn more about .22 rifle (or rimfire shooting) you can start reading the forum https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

It's not really my thing, but you can upgrade both the Marlin and Ruger rifles into "tactical" .22 rifles just for fun. Here are some examples...

Marlin
2398556DSC01948.JPG

Ruger
l_e4219c4bc725413581d46a64a9608e90.jpg

Last edited:
Ruger 10/22 is a solid and affordable rifle. I have one and love it.

Marlin model 60 is a good rifle as well. Shot many and they were nice and inexpensive.

But if you want a fantastic and probably the most accurate "out-of-the-box" .22LR rifle, then CZ is the way to go. I recommend the CZ 452 American. Amazing accuracy, great trigger and solid barrel, receiver and stock. I think they are running at about $400 or so. A bit more pricey than the previously mentioned pair, but I highly recommend them.

A gun this good deserves good glass as well. Don't cheap out on the scope.

But if you want a fantastic and probably the most accurate "out-of-the-box" .22LR rifle, then CZ is the way to go. I recommend the CZ 452 American. Amazing accuracy, great trigger and solid barrel, receiver and stock. I think they are running at about $400 or so. A bit more pricey than the previously mentioned pair, but I highly recommend them.

Have you tried a Savage Mark II with accu-trigger? I was never all that impressed with my CZ. My CZ is a good gun, but not a great gun. I recently shot a Mark II and will probably end up replacing my CZ with a Savage. The lower price on the Savage also helped make my mind up.

I was saving for an Anschutz, but that isn't going to happen before the end of the year.

If you are going to spend the extra money, a Marlin 39A is another great choice. You can't beat the most dependable lever action gun ever made, and it didn't reach legendary status for no reason. There are just too many great .22 rifles out there. Buy one of each!

Thanks collector47 and FlyAndFight those are a lot of info and a big help. I'm now leaning towards a Marlin brand. There are just too much to choose from.

The only Marlin I can find locally right now is the Papoose. But I may just wait and see until next month since there will be a local gun show here.

Last edited:
I was reading up on the laws in California and found a few interesting bits of information. I am not posting this as advice or information on what is legal in CA. But simply as conversation fuel. If you want to buy a CA legal "assault weapon" make sure you verify with an expert. This information is specifically for AR-15 type, semi-automatic, centerfire weapons.

The laws in california have not necessarily gotten lighter so much as there have been ways discovered to circumvent them. A supreme court ruling effectively changed the way "assault weapons" are classified.

In a nutshell, what I believe based on my research is that as long as the weapon is not on the ban (Kasler) list (which has not been updated for some time, but still exists), has a fixed (by definition) magazine of no more than a 10-round capacity, can not be shortened to under 30", and does not have a second weapon attached to it (such as a shotgun or grenade launcher...bayonets are allowed), it is fair game.

So, effectively, I could be on a range with a California legal Ar-style weapon and it COULD be indistinguishable from a pre-ban without a hands-on inspection.

Further, in CA, law enforcement can get permission to posess banned assault weapons if their command authorizes it. And military personnel can as well, but I am not sure if that is personal weapons or issued. Very likely, it refers to issued weapons.

correct. ppl who live in california and other restricted states can own "assault type" semi-auto rifles that adhere to specific guidelines. yes, they are currently ways to get around the last ban. i know someone who has an out of state AR15 rifle that IS on the ban list but he'll be converting the banned parts with "approved" ones to get it back in possession.

btw, i just noticed that prices for handguns (at least from where i normally order from) have gone up $150! :(

Last edited:
btw, i just noticed that prices for handguns (at least from where i normally order from) have gone up $150! :(

Figures.

I found a website that claims to specialize in CA legakl ARs. And they look to have a colt that is modified for the state. I may look in to getting that but it is likely to end up a 2k before everything is done.

But I think I am going to go with a bullet button. That way, occasionally I can go to Nevada and change it over from time to time. Now all I need to do is find a 500 meter range.

Have you tried a Savage Mark II with accu-trigger? I was never all that impressed with my CZ. My CZ is a good gun, but not a great gun. I recently shot a Mark II and will probably end up replacing my CZ with a Savage. The lower price on the Savage also helped make my mind up.

I was saving for an Anschutz, but that isn't going to happen before the end of the year.

If you are going to spend the extra money, a Marlin 39A is another great choice. You can't beat the most dependable lever action gun ever made, and it didn't reach legendary status for no reason. There are just too many great .22 rifles out there. Buy one of each!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into the Savage Mark II and Marlin 39A as well. One can never have enough .22LR's... ;)

The Anschutz are no doubt the best but extremely pricey.

I had an episode yesterday evening on my way home that has me convinced that I am under-capacity in my firearms. Was driving home, through a bad part of town, when the car in front of me, and a car in the oncoming lane, stopped side by side, effectively blockading the road. All traffic was stopped in order for these people to yell at each other.

Meanwhile, about eight or nine hoodlums come running from three different side streets and converge there into the street where the two cars are blocking the road. These, I suppose, were the get-away vehicles. This entire time you could hear sirens in the background - and besides that, there was just a really bad "vibe" that took me all of a nanosecond to draw my .38 snubby cocked "just in case" things turned sour. Not a single horn was blown at this crowd - people on all sides knew something was not right and it wouldn't be smart to draw attention to themselves.

My snubby has only five rounds and there were at least a dozen of them. I didn't intend on standing my ground so long, I figure now that I would have probably shot off three rounds before plowing my SUV out of the blockade - but I never want to be caught in that situation again where I am mentally rationing off bullets to whoever I think will be the quickest to close range.

I've pretty much resolved to either purchase a Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm with a 15+1 capacity. SA/DA. SIGLITE Night Sights. Interchangeable polymer grips. Etc. at roughly $450

....OR.....

The Springfield GI .45 1911 with a 7+1 capacity. DAO. Roughly $500.

I'm presently leading towards the 1911, because I am comfortable with the tried and true layout... but having 15 rounds as opposed to 5 (snubby) or even 7 (1911) is very, very tempting given the scenario yesterday.

Which leads me to my question... Which one would you get? Remember, this is primarily going to be my console gun. BTW, YES I do have a CCW and at the time of that incident yesterday I just happened to be wearing an NRA ballcap.

AngryEwok;1924344[/QUOTE said:
Entire post quoted. You may want to check into the XD-45. I carry the XD-9 Subcompact for concealability and keep my XD-45 locked up for home use. Due to it being a console gun for you concealability shouldn't be an issue. Forgive my memory but the XD-45 is either 13+1 or 12+1 of awesome knock down power. IMHO they are very accurate, and fit my hand better then any handgun I've handled.

I'm presently leading towards the 1911, because I am comfortable with the tried and true layout... but having 15 rounds as opposed to 5 (snubby) or even 7 (1911) is very, very tempting given the scenario yesterday.

sounds like a scary scene!

15 rounds vs 5 or 7 seems like the numbers might outweigh bullet power given your potential situation. i would personally choose a 1911 with a few 8 round magazines at my side for fast reloading. it's really all about training and getting familiar with your weapon. does your revolver accept moon clips? however, it's confident to know that having a weapon that doesn't require faster reloads by your side in a high stress situation.

another interesting possbility would be the FN Five Seven pistol that has the capacity to hold 30 rounds in one magazine (20 round + 10 mag extension). it shoots the 5.7x28mm round which doesn't have as much energy but can still be lethal in the proper hands.

sounds like a scary scene!
another interesting possbility would be the FN Five Seven pistol that has the capacity to hold 30 rounds in one magazine (20 round + 10 mag extension). it shoots the 5.7x28mm round which doesn't have as much energy but can still be lethal in the proper hands.
i rented one of these at my local range. its not as powerful as a .45, but still a very accurate pistol that can do damage.

~~and i want to make it known that i hold you responsible for my latest lust. after seeing your picture it re-kindled my interest in picking up a Socom 16. i've been searching around for one all week and i'm certain i'll pick one up in the next month or so. do you currently have any optics for it??? i was thinking about getting an aimpoint M2 or a ACOG 3x for it. and what are your thoughts on the Socom 2 with the rails on it?? too much?? not worth it???

Back