Gripe at DC Direct "action" figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The DC Direct Arkham line looks better than the Marvel select line. Better paint apps. Better face sculpts. One of the best smaller-scale figure lines I've seen. If you're not playing with them, what difference does articulation make anyway?

And, yeah, really ... the DC Direct figures look better. See the pictures below of the Joker. The DCD face is a lot better. The articulation on the PA figure makes the proportions look weird ... the shoulders and elbows are terrible looking. The PA colors are off. Aside from range of motion, I think the DCD Joker is better-looking all-around.

The DCD looks like an AA Joker. The PA figure looks like a stylized adaptation of the AA Joker. And ... the PA version is 3x the price.

review_aas1_12.jpg

DC811253.jpg

1361207-batman_arkham_asylum_20090713110822901_large.jpg

SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc, I can understand where you come from. If you don't think that Kai figure looks good it's fine.... as to the price point i think you have to take into account the strong yen as well... also not to mention the scale is much bigger than dcd's. again, each to its own..

I do get your point of the PA might look off for some ppl.. but i am not saying that DCD should add AS MUCH JOINTS as the KAI... how about just A HIP JOINT?? That ALONE would have increased the poseability..

again... the poseability is not for playing purposes but just so that you might display them in various forms and poses...after all ... it's an action figure..not a statutes... speaking of statutes... let's say dcd batman ones.. you can see that most of them are in dynamic poses....cape flowing, crouching.... at least doing some bit of leg spreading (not meant in a wrong way) ... except from a few, the ones that i can think of is the matt wagner one which has bats merely standing holding his cape and the bob kane bats.

When it comes to lack of articulation at that scale, your beef should actually be with McFarlane Toys and the army of people who purchased their figures in droves over the years. That's what started it. DCD actually has better articulation than them and some others.

IrishJedi: the Spawn figures are usually already in poses that are dynamic and they serve as plastic statutes, not figures... dcd's figures, however, LOOKed like action figures (most of them are in static standing poses) but have the articulation of statute..

More posing options.
This. Again I am not being unreasonable and saying they should add so many joints that distract the whole figure. I get that point. But i do not think a hip joint would have compromised the look of the figure. Just saying.

DC Direct doesn't make action figures.
Maybe there's some truth to that. But my hope is that, having the license to practically do every comic incarnation of batman, i would have wanted them to be in more different poses.. imagine.. you have an army of dcd batman figures, with jim lee designs, batman inc., killing joke... etc.. but they are all just STANDING there... you can move their legs a lil bit forward and back.. that's it! The ones I can accept with little articulation are jeph loeb's long hallowan bats... since the legs are sculpted with a more "combat ready" mode (and serves more as a statute really) and also the dark knight returns.

My only problem with their figures is not the lack of articulation, but the inconsistencies in scale from line to line. Of course, I know they might not meant to be displayed together...but these are action figures, come on! I don't want my Alex Ross Supergirl to tower over my 52 Booster Gold!

That is another problem too but not just to dcd alone.. other toy companies seemed to have got scale issues as well.

Maybe this is me trying to beat a dead horse :), but recently i have purchased a marvel select movie thor and was given a marvel select deadpool.

It is common consensus that marvel select have limited articulation as well. I also understand that some of the sculpts were not as decent as dc direct ones but recently they are improving. I got the Thor figure for around 15 US and should be the same price for any DCD figures.

The not so -surprising bit is that even with limited articulation, they added a ball hip joint, which although you can't do a jean claude van damme leg spread, it allows you to create much more poses already.

If I have time I shall show you guys a comparison of the marvel select thor and the dcdirect batman incorporated figure (which has decent upper body joints but again, lack of lower body joints) that the difference the hip joint can make.

In particular, the hip joint of the thor figure does NOT hinder the sculpt, at least definitely not more than the T-joint that Dcdirect figures have..

Ahhhhh the great old DC Direct vs. Mattel articulation debate rages on! :lol

I'll start by saying that I am a DCD man. I think the Mattel sculpts are highly inferior and their paint apps are too generic.
Also, more importantly, I'm in the camp of 'looks over articulation'. Being a mature collector, I much prefer sculpt over articulation, since I only want to display my figures as opposed to play with them.
For me DCD gets it just right. Enough articulation to add your own personal touch to your figures' display without taking away from the excellent sculpts.

DCD are not mass-market distributors. They're not making toys for children to play with and have fun posing the hell out of. They cater for mature collectors, which is why their sculpts focus more on looks over articulation - they realise these type of collectors buy figures to display and look good.

This is why DCD will always be the better company for me. I don't feel as though they need to do any more than what they're doing now in terms of articulation.

There seems to be always a compromise here: Mattel's DCU with the overused bodies but very articulated and fun to play with,
You've said it yourself - 'fun to play with'. DCD figures aren't made to be 'played' with. They're made for mature collectors to display and pose in their own personal way.

and DC Direct has better sculpts but virtually little to no articulation.
It really bugs me when people who argue against DCD's articulation use this type of comment: 'They have no articulation'.
Well, of course, in fact, they do. No DCD figure has ever had no articulation.
I know people use this overexaggeration simply for the sake of argument - but it still bugs me.

However, this is where DC Direct really annoys me.... yes I know they are merely toys but I seriously fail to see the improvement that they have made to make their toys actually TOYS (i.e. ACTION figures) instead of plastic statutes.... if I want a statue, why don't I just buy the statutes released by DC Direct?
Again, they're not trying to make toys. They're 'mission statement' is that they make collector figures that use only as much articulation as is needed without hurting the sculpt.
Also, they are not statues. They are in fact, figures. Calling them statues is another example of a highly overused overexaggeration that really bugs me.

I don't know about you, but I have been sick and tired of hearing DC Direct's argument about "looks over articulation".
Couldn't disagree more!! If you don't like what DCD do and what their objective is, then don't collect their products. It's that simple really.
There's no point trying to persuade them or cling onto the hope that one day they'll change their whole M.O. and start adding more articulation to their figures.
I'm going to presume here that one reason people come down on DCD is because they make characters that their favourite company doesn't, so they feel forced to buy them from DCD just to have them and then aren't satisfied with the articulation.
If so then what they should be doing is persuading the companies they do like to make the characters they want.

Why the hell is it so hard for Dc Direct to add just two extra joints:
(a) the hip joint
(b) the chest/stomach joint.
It's probably not hard for them to do it at all - they just choose not to. This is entirely the point.
I honestly don't see why people can't accept DCD and Mattel as two entirely different entities. They each produce figures in their own way, so if someone has a preference of one company over the other, then just collect that one.
If you like both, buy both, but there's no point trying to compare them.

Also, I do have to say that the chest joint has to be IMO the single most ugly P.O.A. I have ever seen. It seriosuly hurts the look of any figure.
Even if some may prefer them to have no chest joints, i don't think with the technology in the toy industries these days, adding a hip joint is so difficult for the guys at dc direct and will not compromise the look of the figures themselves.
I disagree. I think the hip joint does comprimise the look of the figure.
When you spread the legs you get an odd looking gap between the leg and crotch area, as if the figure has a chunk missing from it's thigh.
b09b14a7.jpg

I will somewhat agree that when the figure is stood upright with straight legs it doesn't comprimise the sculpt - but that completely negates the point of having that joint if that's the only pose it will look good in.

Well anyways that is my rant and thanks for reading... please give me your thoughts, whether you agree or not with my statement. If you do... I hope that our voices will be heard by the fellas at dc direct.
I did indeed give you my thoughts! :D and I hope that no offence was taken in giving them either, it is all of course my own personal preference and opinion. It isn't my intention to offend anyone, just give my honest thoughts.

I will finish on a slightly amusing (to me) point.
I love it when hardcore DCUC collectors rant and complain about DCD's articulation, yet when they show photos of their own collections the figures are in the most generic poses ever :rotfl
00-10.jpg

Last edited:
For me as long as a figure has basic articulation, I'm fine with the toy. By basic I mean, the basic limbs have movement and at least be able to stand straight.

As much as I like the original Marvel Legends line, I find some of the articulation over excessive and spoils the look of the figures i.e. makes it look too multi-jointed.

And I agree, if anyone wants to complete about the lack of articulation in toys, it should be those Spawn toys. If I recall, most of thm became plastic statutes after series 17?

I'll start by saying that I am a DCD man. I think the Mattel sculpts are highly inferior and their paint apps are too generic.
Also, more importantly, I'm in the camp of 'looks over articulation'. Being a mature collector, I much prefer sculpt over articulation, since I only want to display my figures as opposed to play with them.
For me DCD gets it just right. Enough articulation to add your own personal touch to your figures' display without taking away from the excellent sculpts.

DCD are not mass-market distributors. They're not making toys for children to play with and have fun posing the hell out of. They cater for mature collectors, which is why their sculpts focus more on looks over articulation - they realise these type of collectors buy figures to display and look good.

This is why DCD will always be the better company for me. I don't feel as though they need to do any more than what they're doing now in terms of articulation.

This. 100% and all day long.

^^^ Can I just agree with the above statement there regarding this debate?
Signed,
DC Direct Costumer since 2000

It's nice to see a few other DCD lovers in here! :D
Looking at some recent comparisons between the DCD & Mattel Arkham City figure lines, it really goes to show how much better the DCD sculpts and paint apps really are.
The Mattel figures may have more articulation, but the DCD figures have more than enough articulation to display the figures in a variety of unique and cool looking poses.

I have always been a fan of DCD. First one I ever got was the Wonder Woman figure from 1999? I remember as a 13 year old that my Hasbro 6 inch Batman and Superman needed Diana to be complete. And then I have fond memories of the Silver Age 2 packs. DCD has come a long way since those early days but I have to say that I have only had 2 breaks out of the package in all these years. Any other breaks I had were because I caused them or they did a shelf dive. But DCD is and always will be my DC Comics figure line. I can not wait for the DCnU figures next year.

Funny, I just sold a bunch of DC Direct stuff on eBay a few days ago. I prefer more articulation as it gives you more posing options. Part of the appeal of "action figures," to me, means having the ability to pose them in lots of different ways if you choose to. Otherwise, I would go with statues which are more impressive looking but obviously lack articulation. I understand and respect what others are saying here, but this is my preference. DCD also had a tendency to have their paint rub off on other figures if you didn't store them carefully, though that's a fairly minor quibble.

Some DCD sculpts are good, some are bad, but there are only a handful I'm keeping (actually, only 4 I think--Silver Age Batman, Robin, Joker, and Hourman). Awhile back I had a pretty sizable JLA, JSA, Crime Syndicate, and Legion of Superheroes collection going.

You've said it yourself - 'fun to play with'. DCD figures aren't made to be 'played' with. They're made for mature collectors to display and pose in their own personal way.

It really bugs me when people who argue against DCD's articulation use this type of comment: 'They have no articulation'.
Well, of course, in fact, they do. No DCD figure has ever had no articulation.
I know people use this overexaggeration simply for the sake of argument - but it still bugs me.

Again, they're not trying to make toys. They're 'mission statement' is that they make collector figures that use only as much articulation as is needed without hurting the sculpt.
Also, they are not statues. They are in fact, figures. Calling them statues is another example of a highly overused overexaggeration that really bugs me.

Couldn't disagree more!! If you don't like what DCD do and what their objective is, then don't collect their products. It's that simple really.
There's no point trying to persuade them or cling onto the hope that one day they'll change their whole M.O. and start adding more articulation to their figures.
I'm going to presume here that one reason people come down on DCD is because they make characters that their favourite company doesn't, so they feel forced to buy them from DCD just to have them and then aren't satisfied with the articulation.
If so then what they should be doing is persuading the companies they do like to make the characters they want.

It's probably not hard for them to do it at all - they just choose not to. This is entirely the point.
I honestly don't see why people can't accept DCD and Mattel as two entirely different entities. They each produce figures in their own way, so if someone has a preference of one company over the other, then just collect that one.
If you like both, buy both, but there's no point trying to compare them.

Also, I do have to say that the chest joint has to be IMO the single most ugly P.O.A. I have ever seen. It seriosuly hurts the look of any figure.

I disagree. I think the hip joint does comprimise the look of the figure.
When you spread the legs you get an odd looking gap between the leg and crotch area, as if the figure has a chunk missing from it's thigh.
b09b14a7.jpg

I will somewhat agree that when the figure is stood upright with straight legs it doesn't comprimise the sculpt - but that completely negates the point of having that joint if that's the only pose it will look good in.

I did indeed give you my thoughts! :D and I hope that no offence was taken in giving them either, it is all of course my own personal preference and opinion. It isn't my intention to offend anyone, just give my honest thoughts.

I love it when hardcore DCUC collectors rant and complain about DCD's articulation, yet when they show photos of their own collections the figures are in the most generic poses ever :rotfl
00-10.jpg

hi sfa!!! Thanks for posting !! It's great that you post your thoughts and they are very valid views indeed.

I find it especially amusing that the picture you showed - Ppl with dcuc figures but with totally static poses hahha! :) Well rest assured that my shelf isn't like that (too lazy to post picture... let's see if i can do so today)... and i even try to pose with the dc direct figures as much as possible.

I have to strongly stressed that i don't "play" with my toys as well but may i say that it's important for the figure to have poseability to avoid exactly wht the picture you posted shows- a bunch of costumed dudes standing only!!!

I also take your point that the hip joint in the DCUC may have affected the look of the sculpt, and may i please stress again that I am not arguing for DC Direct to have that much articulation as DCUC . but just allow the hips to move sideways, especially for batman and robin since they are known to have dynamic poses in the comics. (Crouching, ready to attack poses require spreading the legs no? ) A good comprise, if you may allow me to say, is the MOVIE THOR figure released by marvel select. Granted, the face sculpt is not the best, but i am focusing on the body and the hip joint they used. It should be noted that the hip joint in that figure is not GREAT but it allows the legs to be spread apart, and also it does not compromise the look as you can barely see the ball joint, which is hidden underneath the "pants". Thes can be easily done with all batman figures. Instead of doing a simple T joint, many innovative ways can be done to the hip to make it not compromising the look of the figure which a lil bit extra articulation (on the hips!! - sorry i know i have said that alot of times :) please bear with me)

Btw in Hong Kong here they have just released the new DC Direct arkham city wave 1 figures..... I saw the robin..nice sculpt for sure.... but can you imagine a robin figure with no hip joint to spread his legs?? He's an acrobat for god's sake! :lol

Nevertheless please don't misunderstand me as a DC Direct hater, i have got my equal share of DCD figures as well but just that I think they have much more space to improve and there are no excuses given the technology of the toy industry today.

One more important thing - I think the poseability issue is actually more important towards adults than kids. Think abuot it - kids care about articulation? I see my 10 year old nephew playing ben ten action figures with basic 1984 gi joe articulation but it doesn't matter to him as he just uses the hero figure to clash the villain... move the legs abit and what not.... articulation is generally not important to them... well ok i am speaking only about my nephew so please share your thoughts otherwise...

Funny, I just sold a bunch of DC Direct stuff on eBay a few days ago. I prefer more articulation as it gives you more posing options. Part of the appeal of "action figures," to me, means having the ability to pose them in lots of different ways if you choose to. Otherwise, I would go with statues which are more impressive looking but obviously lack articulation. I understand and respect what others are saying here, but this is my preference. DCD also had a tendency to have their paint rub off on other figures if you didn't store them carefully, though that's a fairly minor quibble.

Some DCD sculpts are good, some are bad, but there are only a handful I'm keeping (actually, only 4 I think--Silver Age Batman, Robin, Joker, and Hourman). Awhile back I had a pretty sizable JLA, JSA, Crime Syndicate, and Legion of Superheroes collection going.

Agreed. That's exactly what I am thinking. Not dissing DCD totally, but they can really do much better for their own good as well. More competition - better figures for us - better revenue for them.

:) sorry bud... the main point basically is this:

1) DC direct has little to no articulation;
2) Their excuse of having looks over articulation is pretty much invlaid because other companies can do it without the compromise (maybe should learn from marvel select in the articulation dept.;
3) Suggestion to add hip joint at the very least and add an optional crunch/ab joint

I dont want articulation or action figures. The square enix figures look so clumsy because theres so many joings everywhere and the poses are so unnatural.

I like the statue-esque style of the DCD figures. A few poses for most figures, is all you need. Im not playing with them, ill be cherishing them on a shelf/cabinet, switch the pose every so often and oggle them happily.

Only gripe I have is that the Bat Claw doesnt fit great in the hand with the armoured bats.

00-10.jpg

While this may be true for some, those pictures also show why people prefer the Mattel figures to DC Direct. The scope of the DCUC line in regards to character selection when you consider that they are all in the same style is far above anything DC Direct has done. There are many of the same characters that DC Direct has tackled by they may be stylized and in different sizes that don't blend as well together.

I think that both companies make some great action figures and I buy from both. The sculpts and paint apps are better for DC Direct but the articulation and consistency are Mattel's strong points.

Back