Grand Theft Auto V

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GTA V - September 17, 2013

kogtaj1ooy.gif

It looks to just be the actual animation. Yes, intentional.

You forget, though. GTA doesn't use normal, cut and dry animations, it uses Euphoria, which combines "target animations" with ragdoll physics. Essentially, there is a preset animation, but the character model will only complete it if physics don't prevent him from doing so. If physics do intervene, however, the character model does not simply complete the animation unaffected, or revert to full ragdoll. Instead, it attempts to right itself, or continues the attempted animation, now redirected by whatever physical force has intervened. Also, it allows the character to naturally step all over elements in the scenery, including prone bodies, as evidenced in both GTA4 and RDR, and possibly, in the picture above.

In this picture, it looks like either: A) a preset animation in which Franklin steps on the man's chest after he punches him; or B) Franklin punches the man and knocks him down, but due to the player still pressing forward on the joystick, continues moving forward along with the forward momentum and inherent forward step of the punch, and coincidentally, steps on the guy's chest in the process. Either way, the end result looks awesome, and planned, but the more I watch it, the more I lean towards option B.

Last edited:

I think it's B as well. It wouldn't make much sense in GTA for that to be a canned animation. It would only make hand to hand combat clunky and awkward if you occasionally posed on top of downed enemies against your will. Everything about that looks awesome, so I really want to see someone else getting punched hehe.

I think you guys over analyze everything

That's the kind of thing that's cool to me. It's the little things. Rockstar probably spent months trying to make stuff like that punch look awesome. I love that kind of stuff.

I think you guys over analyze everything

Actually, the introduction of procedural animation is huge landmark in gaming that most people just don't notice. It's a very exciting thing, if you follow game development.

That's the kind of thing that's cool to me. It's the little things. Rockstar probably spent months trying to make stuff like that punch look awesome. I love that kind of stuff.

Exactly. I love Rockstar for their obsessiveness. Does anyone know where that GIF came from? Is there a full video somewhere? Links would be appreciated, if so.

The fact that Franklin continues looking down at the guy he punched makes me think its all one animation, but perhaps whenever his foot makes contact with another object the head reacts to it :dunno

The fact that Franklin continues looking down at the guy he punched makes me think its all one animation, but perhaps whenever his foot makes contact with another object the head reacts to it :dunno

It's hard to say since we can't see the full event. It's possible that your character head tracks any enemy he's engaged with and the guy on the ground isn't completely out yet.

I've known about the euphoria engine about a year or two before Grand Theft Auto 4 came out. I know exactly what is the physics and everything about it

Could just be that he automatically looks at people who are near him, or who he's in combat with, and maintains his gaze. You'll notice he basically maintains eye contact (or at least looks towards the subject's head) the entire time. I believe Niko did that in GTA4 also. One of the good things about procedural animation, is that the parts of the body move independently, regardless of the current animation being attempted. But you're right, the way he continues to look at him definitely adds to the effect that it was intentional.

It's hard to say since we can't see the full event. It's possible that your character head tracks any enemy he's engaged with and the guy on the ground isn't completely out yet.

:exactly:

Last edited:

I've known about the euphoria engine about a year or two before Grand Theft Auto 4 came out. I know exactly what is the physics and everything about it

That puts you far ahead of most people, who don't realize that Rockstar was pioneering in groundbreaking new technology, and instead just complain about how 'wonky' the controls are in GTA4. Admittedly, they can be wonky at times due to this being a first foray into Euphoria and the like, but the benefits that will come once this technology is polished and perfected far outweigh a little wonkiness at the start.

I think I might pop GTA 4 in, just to see if I can recreate that moment. :lol

That puts you far ahead of most people, who don't realize that Rockstar was pioneering in groundbreaking new technology, and instead just complain about how 'wonky' the controls are in GTA4. Admittedly, they can be wonky at times due to this being a first foray into Euphoria and the like, but the benefits that will come once this technology is polished and perfected far outweigh a little wonkiness at the start.

Absolutely. GTA IV was so fantastic to me. It's definitely a little awkward and clunky, but I loved it. It was a quantum leap ahead of San Andreas in terms of technology and gameplay. People always seemed to focus on what was missing from GTA IV that was in SA which is really too bad. Rockstar was trying something new and ballsy. Already, the step up from GTAIV to RDR with the Euphoria engine is huge, so I'm expecting great things from GTA V.

You forget, though. GTA doesn't use normal, cut and dry animations, it uses Euphoria, which combines "target animations" with ragdoll physics. Essentially, there is a preset animation, but the character model will only complete it if physics don't prevent him from doing so. If physics do intervene, however, the character model does not simply complete the animation unaffected, or revert to full ragdoll. Instead, it attempts to right itself, or continues the attempted animation, now redirected by whatever physical force has intervened. Also, it allows the character to naturally step all over elements in the scenery, including prone bodies, as evidenced in both GTA4 and RDR, and possibly, in the picture above.

In this picture, it looks like either: A) a preset animation in which Franklin steps on the man's chest after he punches him; or B) Franklin punches the man and knocks him down, but due to the player still pressing forward on the joystick, continues moving forward along with the forward momentum and inherent forward step of the punch, and coincidentally, steps on the guy's chest in the process. Either way, the end result looks awesome, and planned, but the more I watch it, the more I lean towards option B.

Well the ? was preset or physics engine. But with above, it is definitely not A, due to reasons you say in B. Back in the day of games, it would have to be A, but now...

So it is a mix, as most do now days (obliviously not 100% purely physics based). The player punches. Him and his target are aligned. Animations are played. Restrictions as you mention are taking into account throughout this. Also as mentioned, the code probably takes over of the head parts of the animation to look at the target. Would assume psychics aid in the falling. Then for the foot on chest part, that is right, parts of the engine will take over to snap feet to ground. Much easier to do that than to have X number of animations just for a raised foot, then you take into account different heights. :thud: The follow through is either an attribute of the animation or (as said) due to player movement.

In my defense, that gif / this question is the most I have looked at GTA's animations. I haven't even played GTA since Liberty City, but I am looking forward to this one.

Absolutely. GTA IV was so fantastic to me. It's definitely a little awkward and clunky, but I loved it. It was a quantum leap ahead of San Andreas in terms of technology and gameplay. People always seemed to focus on what was missing from GTA IV that was in SA which is really too bad. Rockstar was trying something new and ballsy. Already, the step up from GTAIV to RDR with the Euphoria engine is huge, so I'm expecting great things from GTA V.

GTAIV was using Euphoria, in fact it was the first game to use it, although it wasn't supposed to be the first. LucasArts was part of the development and were using it for The Force Unleashed, but they got a bit delayed so GTAIV ended up getting released with it first.

I just know, the first thing I'm going to do is go find Grove St again, start some fights. :D

Back