Goblin King - The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullseye

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get one of these kits but have been waiting to see a paintup. Looks awesome. I can now tell my painter to go ahead and finish the job.:D

gob1vk7.jpg

Wow, just wow!
That is an amazing sculpt, and sure brings back all sorts of happy childhood memories! Maybe it's the old VHS tape we used to rent every other week, but I remember these guys as being a little more blue in color, but my gosh is that cool!

That is pretty damn rad!

I can only imagine SS and Weta teaming up for more stuff once the Hobbit is made :monkey3

Damn, that is one fine looking kit! I love that cartoon and have it on DVD as a place holder until the Hobbit is released :monkey3 . I would love to see some pictures once you get the kit put together!

That turned out real nice. I guess I should have kept my order for the kit since I missed out on the painted version. Oh well, you can't have everything. :monkey2

Yeah I can't wait to add mine to the collection. I was very excited when this one got put together.

Thanks for the pic Bulls, I was thinking about this article yesterday and wondered if someone was going to post pics.

unbelievably cool.
I remember being blown away by the sculpt pics. great piece

oxbeard said:
Yeah I can't wait to add mine to the collection. I was very excited when this one got put together.

I was actually wondering what was going on with this project just the other day. It seems like a LONG time ago when it was solicited.

I unfortunately missed out by ONE, on being one of the "nine" who got the
super-de-duper painted ones, (and I'm still annoyed, but life goes on) BUT
I'll get the kit or casting and have it custom painted to match.

Bullseye - would you please lemme know where I can get that article, as I'd
very much like to purchase that to color-match my Goblin King. Thanks!

JS :chew

elwood49 said:
I was actually wondering what was going on with this project just the other day. It seems like a LONG time ago when it was solicited.

The kits were actually shipped sometime back. The one in the article is actually one of the kits not one of the 9. The 9 has been a very slow process, but considered they have passed from Gabe to 3 different paint masters who all have been extremely busy with their day job, I can't complain. Definitely going to be well worth it the end.

Of course, from what Zurb said at SF, it looks like this may be the end of the line though. I was really looking forward to more :monkey2

Please lemme know what spells doom for the end of this line, as I'd surely
love to get many more in The Hobbit series. Were they too costly to make
this first time around to be feasable to continue?

JS :confused:

JSAuctionService said:
Please lemme know what spells doom for the end of this line, as I'd surely
love to get many more in The Hobbit series. Were they too costly to make
this first time around to be feasable to continue?

JS :confused:

I think it may have been more of the time factor. Gabe especially has been very busy of late and of course without him there's no deal. I suspect too that some of it may be that the task of the 9 became much more intensive than first anticipated, but again that is just my pure speculation and there may be nothing to it.

I know at one time Gandalf was supposed to be the next one, but judging from the conversation at SF there aren't really any future ones actually planned now. Although I know we are keeping our fingers crossed that this will get revisited and actually become a line so to speak :D

I hope it works out. There are so many amazing statue possibilities from
the animated Hobbit movie, that it'd be a shame NOT to do them.

Spiders of Mirkwood Forest
Wood Elf King
3 Trolls - live or stone
Bilbo
Gandalf
Gollum!! (still my favorite incarnation of him.)
SMAUG!!!!

JSAuctionService said:
I hope it works out. There are so many amazing statue possibilities from
the animated Hobbit movie, that it'd be a shame NOT to do them.

Spiders of Mirkwood Forest
Wood Elf King
3 Trolls - live or stone
Bilbo
Gandalf
Gollum!! (still my favorite incarnation of him.)
SMAUG!!!!

Yeah, they would definitely make an amazing set, and with Gabe's skills would really come to life!!!!!

Sadly, it's all true. Gabe is currently working working pieces for companies, and has no time in the foreseeable future to work on any more of the line. Oxbeard was right....the project has been VERY time intensive for those involved, but the end is in sight. I currently have the first 4 of the "9" in my possession. They have passed from Phil, to Danno, to me for final work.

The 9 will indeed look different than the pic Bullseye posted. Steve did an awesome job for the article, and the custom base is damn cool.

RickDTM said:
Sadly, it's all true. Gabe is currently working working pieces for companies, and has no time in the foreseeable future to work on any more of the line. Oxbeard was right....the project has been VERY time intensive for those involved, but the end is in sight. I currently have the first 4 of the "9" in my possession. They have passed from Phil, to Danno, to me for final work.

The 9 will indeed look different than the pic Bullseye posted. Steve did an awesome job for the article, and the custom base is damn cool.

Thanks for the info Rick. I can't praise you guys enough. I'm very grateful that even this one was able to get made and there were no second thoughts at all prior to joining in on this. May very well be the best piece I will own. :chew

Back