Go see Serenity!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw it, expected to like it a lot despite any problems, just as I was able to get up some love for the SW prequels. The reviews haven't been overwhelmingly positive, so I expected a competent TV episode, hopefully as good as the pilot.

But I was blown away! It far surpassed my wildest expectations. Great emotion, character and action with a "oh yeah!" coolness factor of 10.

Unfortunately it's on track to do less then 20 mil. this weekend, which makes it less than a blockbuster. But if we can get others to keep it going so the fall-off week to week isn't so great, perhaps we can achieve more Serenity in the future.

Unfortunately it's on track to do less then 20 mil. this weekend,

it's looking like it will make about 12-13 million this weekend. that's not so great. but the production budget was "only" 40 million.

this film will probably do "punisher" type box office numbers(about 30 million domestic). punisher did well on DVD, so it's supposidly getting a second film. maybe serinity will do the same?

im PRAYING this will do extremely well(thats why Ive seen it 3 times) Joss deserves it. it really hate fox for wot they did, i mean can you imagine! a truly superb show is brought on air, it was planned for 7 SEASONS, 7!! I cant imagine how much he'd thought out for it all, planning for the future season, the development of characters etc.. and BAM! just like that those d$#@s at Fox cancel it!
i still dont know why fox canceled firefly, it was doin well! and after only a dozen eps! and they say hey! its not making enough, lets cancel. im just abit sour about it all.

GO SERENITY! GO FIREFLY!

All shows are planned to run 7 seasons, and I could easily have seen Firefly run that long. But Fox has a history of cancelling quality shows if they don't hit certain ratings numbers out of the box.

The weekend numbers are disappointing, but not the end of the world. With the strong buzz surrounding it, how likely do you think it is that it may actually do a little *better* the second weekend? People who hadn't planned on seeing it will maybe be going second weekend after seeing Ebert and Roeper this weekend and hearing good buzz at the office. I think a few movies have done this - Pulp Fiction and the original Star Wars to name a couple.

Joss always knew this wasn't an opening weekend blockbuster movie - slow growth is what he sold it as to Universal, just like Firefly was supposed to be. I'm holding on to my optimism here, based on wonderful reactions from Firefly newbies :)

This has always been an experiment in "buzz" factor on Universal's part. Some fans took it a little more to heart and got a little carried away, IMO. We'll see if the rabid, die-hard, "I'll burn your house down if you don't announce Whedon as a god" fans have scared too many people away! I certainly hope not, because this movie deserves to be given a chance, no matter who directed it. Somehow, it needs to attract those people who don't know who the heck Joss Whedon is. I don't know if it will though... I guess we'll see! It's got a lot of biases against it going in - it's sold as sci-fi, so people who hate sci-fi will not go see it, which is a shame because it's actually more of a humanitarian drama than sci-fi. And people who hate Joss won't go see it because they've already decided it sucks, sight unseen. And people who think it's just a long television episode won't go see it because they're movie snobs (I have a friend like this who I had to DRAG by his ears to see it - and guess what, he loved it I could tell, but he STILL ragged on it and said it was great... for TV... arg)

It's got a lot of barriers, and it will be even that much more successful if it breaks those! I agree with BD - GO SERENITY, prove Hollywood wrong :banana

I have now seen it three times this weekend - I know, I'm a little obsessed - but this movie is truly wonderful. I keep bringing different friends to see it... trying to spread the word - and all of them have been blown away. My brother even said, "I don't want to jinx it, but this could be the next Sta - NO!! I won't jinx it!"

So, please, everyone... I know faith in Hollywood is not common these days, but have faith that Joss Whedon and all the Firefly lovers out there know a little about what they're talking about. Go see Serenity - it will not disappoint.

Wouldn't it be clever if whatever movie you go see in the next four weeks, if it's not Serenity, just buy the ticket to Serenity and go into the movie of your choice. Aren't multiplexes wonderful?

Not that I'm advocating anything like that...

Good idea Dave!

We just saw it!! Awesome movie!!! Were going to have to start a spoiler thread for it. I do wish the theme song was in it, that was the only thing I thought was missing.

eriatarka said:
I have now seen it three times this weekend - I know, I'm a little obsessed - but this movie is truly wonderful. I keep bringing different friends to see it... trying to spread the word - and all of them have been blown away. My brother even said, "I don't want to jinx it, but this could be the next Sta - NO!! I won't jinx it!"

So, please, everyone... I know faith in Hollywood is not common these days, but have faith that Joss Whedon and all the Firefly lovers out there know a little about what they're talking about. Go see Serenity - it will not disappoint.

Ive seen it 3 times too, me and my friend REALLY want this to do well(were Joss Fans- but not overobsessed!) Its an AWESOME move, one of the best this year and it really should be seen!

Viking28 said:
Good idea Dave!

We just saw it!! Awesome movie!!! Were going to have to start a spoiler thread for it. I do wish the theme song was in it, that was the only thing I thought was missing.

I thought the same thing, but then i realised it probably wouldnt have worked with the movie. it woulda slowed it down and taken the "epic" ness from it i guess. i also woulda taken away from the first few lines i think.

"Was that the primary buffer panel? did the primary buffer panel just fall off for no apparent reason!"
lol ahhh wot a great movie!

I thought about that and thought it would of fit perfectly right at the end of the movie.

Viking28 said:
I thought about that and thought it would of fit perfectly right at the end of the movie.

How funny.... if you hang out until the credits are done rolling, you are treated to an accoustic version of the theme song. It's there, peeps, just wait and you'll hear it. (Made me happy. Oh, wait... I already was.)

lol thats REALLY strange i cant recall hearin it! and i was there till the end the first time coz Joss came on after.

I just wanted to let you know that I work as a projectionist at a local theatre and even though I can see any movie I want for free as an employee perk, I PAID to see Serenity TWICE this weekend. And each time I brought PAYING people with me to spread the word. :D

Also, I think part of the reason that the numbers are lower than hoped for is that it is opening in over 1000 less screens than most anticipated blockbusters. I you look at the projected per screen average, "Serenity" did better than the #1 film of the weekend "Flight Plan"!

It may have had a tame opening, but we need to help this film have legs. The reason "Titanic" is the #1 grossing film is not because it had a big splashy opening weekend. It's because it kept on having $10-15 million dollar weekends. Over and over again.

Personally, I can't see this film NOT be considered a hit. It had a negative cost of only $39 million. I think when the day is done... when the film has had it's theatrical run (both foriegn amd domestic) and has been released on
DVD and has been shown on the pay channels... this film will be soundedly in the black. Heck, we just saw "The Family Guy" come back after a hit DVD release... so anything is possible.

So if you want more "Serenity", you must vote with $$$.

Last edited:
I know that Boxoffice mojo says that the negative cost was only $39 mil., but I swear that I read somewhere that is was $65. Either way, it's way cheaper than most sci-fi films nowadays. Hopefully it will do well enough that Universal recognizes it as a viable franchise and Fox kicks themselves for letting it get away.

Back