Go Hero - 1/6 Doc Savage

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last I heard some of these smaller producers were having trouble getting factories to commit to runs of less than 1000 units. I give it up for companies like Go Hero and Amok Time who are endeavoring to continue to offer properties that no one else is likely to touch. It's unfortunate that various hurtles they face in production don't allow then to compete on a level playing field with companies like Hot Toys and Enterbay. I'm going to try and find a way to work this into my budget.

So this is shipping now. I know the price has kept some people away, but the limited number available is probably why.

I was a huge Doc Savage fan as a kid so I immediately changed the head for the one that shows Doc as he was on the paperback covers that I fell in love with.

The weapons are diecast, which I don't think was necessary, but at least the articulation is strong enough to hold the heavy guns.

The shirts (there are 2) have real working buttons, not something many 1/6 companies have tried, but is necessary since you're going to want to have it unbuttoned most of the time.

savage.jpg

I absolutely adore Doc Savage, I somehow got my hands on a load of the old pulp stories when I was a kid. That said, I don't think I could justify $250 on this figure, just not doing it for me for some reason.

My 2 figures both arrived late last week (I ordered the Silver Age version from BBTS and had pre-ordered the Double-Danger version early last year from Go Hero). Due to work, I just got the opportunity to open them today.
I've been a Doc fan since issue #1 of the Marvel comic series debuted in July of 1972, and discovered the Bantam paperbacks shortly after. I have a complete set of the books, so there was no way I was going to pass on this figure.
My first impressions are positive; while it isn't Hot Toys quality, it's pretty solid. The tayloring on the clothing is good; as Dave mentioned, the shirts have actual functioning buttons, which are difficult to work with but produce a better look than Velcro or snaps would. The standard ripped shirt is weathered nicely, as are the jodhpur pants. The boots are pliable and are zippered in the back, I would have preferred them to be solid but it's not a big issue.
The body used is pretty good, though I wish it were bigger overall. Doc was referred to in the books as a bronze giant, although he looked perfectly proportional, and his great size was evident only when he was next to an average person. I also think the skin tone should be a bit more bronze in color. My biggest complaint with the body is the dearth of extra hands - at the least, Doc should have come with a pair of (large) fists. There is a right hand that vaguely approximates a fist, but is opened at the thumb and index finger and designed to hold an object. There are also right and left gun gripping hands and a left hand with a relaxed palm. The lack of fists for Doc is inexcusable, though, considering the price.
The exclusive Double-Danger version comes with an extra Golden Age/pulp style head, a clean un-ripped shirt, and an extra Art Deco-style silver-colored ray gun.
Both figures come with the same logo stand with a waist-grabber. I would have preferred the by-now standard crotch-grabber, as I feel a need to use the stand: while the upper body articulation is pretty stiff, the leg joints seem loose by comparison, and I think it would be difficult to get the figure to stand unassisted in many poses.
The sculpting and paint on the 2 heads is excellent I feel, though I'm not 100% satisfied with the sculpt on the Silver Age/Bama head.
Both figures come with the Jim Steranko-designed Super Savage Machine pistol, a black-colored Silver Age style ray gun, and a German Luger, as well as a belt and holster.
All in all, I'm happy with the figures, and they will look great with the Go Hero Shadow figure released a couple of years back. I'd love to see an eventual Avenger/Richard Henry Benson figure released to go with the two, but won't hold my breath. I think any Doc fan would be satisfied, and although the price is a bit steep for what you get, these figures are obviously going to sell to a limited market and are produced in relatively small numbers (the Double Danger Deluxe version is a run of 250). If the body was about and inch taller, a bit more bronze, and fists had been included, I'd be completely satisfied.

Pics:

Both the Silver Age version and the Double-Danger Deluxe version come with the same 5-panel box with James Bama art on the front and Bob Larkin art on the back; the Double-Danger version comes with an additional sleeve that fits over the standard box that features pulp-style graphics:

Last edited:
Looks like a fun figure.
I really like what Go Hero does, I think they are a great niche company, and I hope they continue to make these type of figures.

Having said that, I wonder how companies like Kaustic Plastik can make such intricate figures like their Roman legionnaires in limited quantities (600-800), with metal and leather and keep their prices so low.

Looks like the figure came out pretty much the same as the prototype... so that's good, although I never thought the prototype looked all that good. The shirt just seems very bulky and he's pretty basic for the asking price. Still, cool to see niche figures like this.

Looks like the figure came out pretty much the same as the prototype... so that's good, although I never thought the prototype looked all that good. The shirt just seems very bulky and he's pretty basic for the asking price. Still, cool to see niche figures like this.

The shirt's good, but I think I'm going to water treat the ripped shirt - it will hang better that way.

Yeah, that might be the issue... out of the box it looks a bit shapeless. And honestly, it might look cooler if it was more torn up.

While I've used the KP bodies a few times for customs, I wonder if it was the best choice. There's something about the arms that just doesn't look right; the HT Terminator body isn't perfect, but I think it looks a bit more realistic and it's has better proportioned thighs.

There are only two Silver Age editions still remaining at BBTS.

Only $132.99 each plus shipping.

One is standard grade condition (box), the other sub-standard.

I really wish I could buy the golden age bonus head and weapon without buying the deluxe edition.

Does anyone know of any clenched fists that would be compatible with this figure?

Go Hero 1/6 Doc Savage

Finally broke down and bought one. Upgrade the awful boots that came with him to a pair of Newline Japanese officer boots and they look much better. Not a bad figure.
72ed21d66ab8e8dfdfda7798242cdd52.jpg

Back