Girls play with dolls, boys play with action figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say action figures. But generally refer to them as glorified expensive toys lol. Which when ever I tell someone (that doesnt get this sorta thing) that I collect this stuff, their response is always *THAT* look accompanied with "you collect toys?"

They may not appreciate it when they only glance at it but when my friends see my collection closely they are usually in awe. I guess the Tumbler helps as SIZE DOES MATTER :lol

I call them toys but my 3 year old niece walked into my toy room, looked around and said.. "You have dollies." She is now banned from that room. :)

I refer to them as my Toys, but if anyone that comes in my house has a problem with my "doll" collection can GTFO!!!! Seriously, I've asked someone to leave my place before.

Yeah. Not surprising though. Before Dragon came along and made 1:6 figures really marketed towards 'normal' (not scare quotes) guys, the perception was only über-nerds or gay men collected 'dolls'. Think John from the Simpsons as an example of the later. I'm sure there are a lot of close-minded people with those attitudes, probably the same kind of people that think a comicbook has no literary merit based on being a comicbook, rather than its actual content.

can you tell us this story, what did he/she do to get kicked out?
A friend and his GF stopped by once and brought one of her friends along with them. I never met this person before that night, and thankfully never saw her again afterwards. I ordered a UFC fight and was planning on watching it with my neighbors, but the neighbors cancelled and my friend said they would come over to watch. Well they arrived and we started watching the fights when the tag-along started inspecting the collection pieces and shortly after she began making comments about the 40 year old virgin and grown men playing with toys. I normally have a thick skin and can take jokes and what not, but I don't appreciate people I don't know coming into my home and doing it. After about an hour of her making random comments I told her she needed to either keep her trap shut or GTFO. Sorry, but I enjoy watching the fights and she was definitely not there to watch so she had no business being there. Lol...well, she didn't like that and told me to lose the attitude. I stood up, turned the TV off, and told her to leave. Since she rode with my friends they all ended up leaving.

About an hour later my friend called and apologized about the girl and said he didn't know that his GF invited her to come along until they were leaving. I told him not to sweat it and that he could come back, but I'm gonna charge anyone else that his GF decides to bring over.

probably the same kind of people that think a comicbook has no literary merit based on being a comicbook, rather than its actual content.

:lecture :lecture I hear that one.

interesting article.

frankly, i couldn't care less what other people call them. to me they're works of art.

but i do agree with hairlesswookiee that it can be quite annoying when women make judgement calls about u based on your collection. but that's merely their perception of things, doesn't make it true. i did date this one girl who kept on making disparaging remarks about my collection. the last straw was when she called my 1:1 t800 endoskull "disgusting" and "stupid". i politely showed her the door and never went out with her again.

if the only thing separating an action figure from a doll is gender, then imo they are one and the same.

I like the term action figure, unless its got real clothes and is not a statue. but i dont mind any of the terms in a non offensive context. but if someone is a jerk about my collection i let em have it. i insult their cars, girlfriends, intelligence, style and taste in music. lol

I usually call my figures "dolls" instead of "action figure". In my opinion, "action figure" sounds really cheap, and reminds me of the $10 stuff that I can find at a Target store.

I've never had any confrontations about my figures before. My non collector friends are in fact, very jealous of me for the stuff that I have.

For me, if the purpose of the figure is to dress it up in girly clothes and have miniature tea parties, ride ponies, or play house, then it's a doll. But if it's purpose is to be a scale representation of an action hero or foe, or some iconic person whether real or fiction, it's an action figure.

Personally, I've dropped the whole doll vs action figure thing a long time ago. They are all just figures to me, be they poseable or statues.

I just call them figures. :dunno
As for people making negative comments on them or making fun of the fact I collect them , I guess I just don't care.
I just brush it off and presume its either ignorance or jealousy.
Most of the people I know or who are around most of the time have enjoyed looking at the them or found them cool anyway.

For me, if the purpose of the figure is to dress it up in girly clothes and have miniature tea parties, ride ponies, or play house, then it's a doll. But if it's purpose is to be a scale representation of an action hero or foe, or some iconic person whether real or fiction, it's an action figure.

Personally, I've dropped the whole doll vs action figure thing a long time ago. They are all just figures to me, be they poseable or statues.

Which reminds me, that Snake and Jack Bauer are long overdue for a tea party! Snake hogged the purplely pony at the last party, but this time Jack gets a turn! :chew Oh, and no cookies for Jack, until he finishes his brussel sprouts - I'm dead serious!

hahaha ^^^ and i like that statement uscmhicks. very clear. if it is based off an action hero, it's an action figure. no doubt. there is no argument.
all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. rectangles are a type of doll tho. lol

Re: Girls play with dolls, boys play with action figures?

Yes.

Though there are differences in the figures with regard to durability and prettyness ... I'm not sure the difference is so much in the figures as the style of play. I have a boy and a girl -- and, even when the figures are similar, the play is completely different.

Girls play house, tea parties, etc. ... the play is more real-life, domestic and subdued. Buy a girl a Barbie Corvette, and she loads the Barbie kids in the back and drives them around. She plays schoolteacher, doctor, or mommy with them. Boys play gunfights, fistfights, and death-defying stunts. My son will take the same pink Barbie corvette (when my daughter isn't looking), load it up with soldiers, ram it into things, and firebomb it. Girl's figures come with accessories ... boy's figures come with weapons.

That's why its a doll for a girl, and an action figure for a boy.

As for me ... I don't really play with the toys I buy ... I set them on the shelf and play with the chick that tolerates that I buy them.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Yes.

Though there are differences in the figures with regard to durability and prettyness ... I'm not sure the difference is so much in the figures as the style of play. I have a boy and a girl -- and, even when the figures are similar, the play is completely different.

Girls play house, tea parties, etc. ... the play is more real-life, domestic and subdued. Buy a girl a Barbie Corvette, and she loads the Barbie kids in the back and drives them around. She plays schoolteacher, doctor, or mommy with them. Boys play gunfights, fistfights, and death-defying stunts. My son will take the same pink Barbie corvette (when my daughter isn't looking), load it up with soldiers, ram it into things, and firebomb it. Girl's figures come with accessories ... boy's figures come with weapons.

That's why its a doll for a girl, and an action figure for a boy.

As for me ... I don't really play with the toys I buy ... I set them on the shelf and play with the chick that tolerates that I buy them.

SnakeDoc

Gender stereotypes FTW! :banana

Back