GG Obi-Wan Clone Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh. wow. that is really bad. i'm glad i didn't buy this. how could this happen? heads are gonna roll.

This was the Star Wars item I was most anticipating this year.

I decided last night to cancel my preorder, even though it's going to cost me $21.

I really don't want to hurt my retailer, but I can't spend $150 on something that's just going to piss me off everytime I see it.

I could not be more disappointed in Gentle Giant.

This fact that this issue has gone on for three days now and GG has yet to come forward and offer some sort of statement other than "We're looking into it" speaks volumes about this company and how this fiasco will ultimately turn out. :monkey2

In all my years of collecting, I've never seen anything this bad or been so disappointed in a product. A highly anticipated piece with such potential is going right down the toilet.

Batty said:
That is really bad! What happened? :horror

Wow! I'm am speechless. Where was quality control on this one??? You can't even say that touching it up with paint will save this. I'm disappointed in GG , it's proto and final are night and day. It's a shame , I've been looking forward to this piece for many months.This piece had so much potential. The prototype looked like Ewan so much. :confused:

By far this is the very worst statue I have ever seen, and to make things worse it comes from Star Wars no less.

It is almost as if someone sat on the mold! :google

I agree with Bob that even though everyone is pissed off right now collectors tend to forgive quickly if the next piece is awesome. We can vote with our dollars on this one but any talks about "I am dropping GG forever because of this...THIS IS THE LAST STRAW" are taken as "in the heat of the moment" reactions.

I tell you this: any GG non-maquette release from now on will not be preordered by me. It will all be wait and see.

I feel really bad about it. That was (in my opinion) the best Ewan McGregor likeness out there... Now it just looks so bad.. Not even exactly human looking... Like the fired the original sculptor and hired a 13 year old to do the sculpt... It is that bad. :(

Really, I pity the sculptor. He must feel like one of his children was maimed.

Where is Collector Freak to tell us how much better GG is than SS?

I like GG pieces, but this is unreal. I am in shock if that's the piece they actually ship to people. Wow....just wow. Could not have turned out much worse.

Yikes, that's really bad. I feel for anyone who ordered this and was expecting the prototype.

I have to say though, after studying those pics.... most of what is wrong with that piece could be fixed by a repaint... maybe not all of it, although it's possible... but definitly most of whats wrong.

It's hard to tell... the sculpt might have been stretched, but i do think that the way the beard and moustache has been painted on is making the face look longer. And even if it has been stretched a little (without the piece in hand I can't tell), the visual effect of it could definitly be made to look a lot better with some sneaky painting tricks.

Something to think about for those who are keeping/are thinking about keeping theirs

Darren

KitFisto said:
Where is Collector Freak to tell us how much better GG is than SS?

I like GG pieces, but this is unreal. I am in shock if that's the piece they actually ship to people. Wow....just wow. Could not have turned out much worse.

Okay, lets not go there. Because all you have to do is sit Obi-Wan beside his long lost sisters Willow and Faith ... then it becomes apparent EVERYONE drops the ball on occasion.

However, I will agree that Obi is the WORST case of this I have ever seen.

Um... maybe its the camera angle :monkey5

Obi16.jpg

Did Ewan McGregor see this sculpt at SDCC and request that it be altered to look nothing like him? :lol Worst proto to production pic I've ever seen. I can't imagine ever preordering a product from GG after seeing this.

ok, I've just been studying those pics again... and I believe that the effect of the longer/thinner face and larger nose is just down to the fact that the recent pics were taken with the camera lens much too close to the item.... which always give a fish bowl effect to the image. (if you look at things like the shoulder armour/suit/hair/ears etc you can see the difference if you know what you're looking for

the paint thouhg.... that's just nasty and needs repainting... NOW

That is just a laughable attempt by GG. There's no way im paying $150 for that. Going to cancel my order right now.

I don't know Hunky. I saw a profile picture of the production piece (can't remember where.. I look for it) and it is definately alot more than the sculpt that is wrong... The bridge of the nose sinks into his face like a cartoon character (think Disney's Peter Pan)... It is a totally different sculpt, I believe.

If someone finds that profile shot, post it. I will dig around for it when I get the chance.

Oh my God! It was the GG statue I was mostly looking for... now, Is there a chance they'll fix it?... I see it had to be shipped along with the plo koon bust and the C3po/Jawa animated maquette but this time is not shipping... could we expect a them to fix the head or not?

I was really going to have to think about getting this as I loved the sculpt, pose, driod, everything about it. Now, there's nothing to think about. I wonder how cheap we'll see these selling for over the next few months.

This upsets me.

I preordered a GG Slave Leia from my store, and now I'll have to tell the store owner I don't want that piece, even though he can't cancel from his distributer. I don't know how that will effect our relationship but I can't spend 150 bucks on something that doesn't look anything like the prototype. I know this is Slave Leia we're talking about and not Obi-Wan, but if it happened to him, and others in past GG SW statue releases the very same could happen with her.

I am disgusted as well. This isn't fair to anyone who picked up this piece. Gentle Giant should be ashammed.

We should really complain to the source rather than complaining on here, so GG can see how majorly they f'ed up. To let these go out really says something about their quality control, or lack there of.

Darth Loki said:
I was really going to have to think about getting this as I loved the sculpt, pose, driod, everything about it. Now, there's nothing to think about. I wonder how cheap we'll see these selling for over the next few months.

Think McDonald's $1 Value Menu. :lol

Back