GG 12-inch Vintage Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C3PO was the first SW figure I ever saw, so it's a must. Still a good sculpt.. with a good vac metal job it should be awesome.

I bet they don't get thru all 12 of the ones they have listed. Granted these are blatantly simple to produce, I just don't see all of them moving at the $70+ price tag. Once something like the R2 or Jawa starts to shelfwarm in online stores, I think this line might tank.

Really, the materials/paint-apps here could easily be run by Hasbro at the same size and scale for $30-40, and they would make a killing. GG is just being money hungry. In fact, I'll just wait for Hasbro to release a Vintage re-issue set/series sometime down the line in a 4" scale. I mean, they already have that mail-away vintage Boba on the way.

I bet they don't get thru all 12 of the ones they have listed. Granted these are blatantly simple to produce, I just don't see all of them moving at the $70+ price tag. Once something like the R2 or Jawa starts to shelfwarm in online stores, I think this line might tank.

Really, the materials/paint-apps here could easily be run by Hasbro at the same size and scale for $30-40, and they would make a killing. GG is just being money hungry. In fact, I'll just wait for Hasbro to release a Vintage re-issue set/series sometime down the line in a 4" scale. I mean, they already have that mail-away vintage Boba on the way.

You're looking at this all wrong. Gentle Giant won't be producing these in nearly the amount of numbers Hasbro does their mass market toys. That's reason for the pricepoint differential, for one. They're not geared toward retail stores, they'll be direct-market items aimed at collectors. You'd only be able to get them online, or directly through GG, maybe your local comic shop, and at conventions. You can't compare these to mass market toys like Hasbro.

Every day GG is revealing a new figure until the complete Stormtrooper cardback is shown on their Facebook page. In three more days the cardback will be complete. Looks like the first 12 are already in the can! :google

SWGG.jpg

No Leia!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Oh hell, no. They make a ____ing Jawa but leave out one of the three main characters, not to mention Chewbacca as well.

No Star Puffs,™ no thank you.

Um, aren't they going to be releasing pictures of the final 3 in the next 3 days?

If that is the case, then I will have overreacted.

Then again I may have to add this to the list of Marion Ravenwood, The Bride, Ripley from Alien, Arwen+Galadriel+Eowyn from LOTR and all the other 1:6 females not made.

If that is the case, then I will have overreacted.

Then again I may have to add this to the list of Marion Ravenwood, The Bride, Ripley from Alien, Arwen+Galadriel+Eowyn from LOTR and all the other 1:6 females not made.

Take it easy Princess. :lol

You're looking at this all wrong. Gentle Giant won't be producing these in nearly the amount of numbers Hasbro does their mass market toys. That's reason for the pricepoint differential, for one. They're not geared toward retail stores, they'll be direct-market items aimed at collectors. You'd only be able to get them online, or directly through GG, maybe your local comic shop, and at conventions. You can't compare these to mass market toys like Hasbro.

I know GG won't be making these in numbers like Hasbro could. But I also know that there are lots of "high-end collectibles" that are gathering dust at online retailer stores. Even a company like SSC with their numbered figures/statues still don't have the numbers game down to a reasonable science. GG won't be able to anticipate what something like this might do, because it a fairly unique concept.

I wasn't making comparisons. I was stating that this is an easy idea and that another company (like Hasbro) could churn them out just as well and for a cheaper price. Really, these things are not alot of material and considering they've already been tooled and whatnot, there is no design cost. I'm just pretty positive that if any other company were releasing these, they would be much cheaper. GG seems to be pushing the price too high... even for a collectible figure item. To get thru all 12, GG is really going to have to watch the numbers on figures like the Jawa, etc.

I do sort of wonder about the pricing. If they were $20-$30 I could easily see buying them all, but not at the prices they're talking about. But of course the number of potential buyers for something like this is somewhat limited, I think. Hasbro's not going to be interested in something like this. And even though these are very simple figures, GG can't hope to match the economies of scale that a company making mass-market figures can.

The concept is still a little strange to me. The idea is definitely fleshed out better with them being the group of the original batch of SW figures + Boba. I just can't help but feel that making them in 1:6 is excessive. I understand that making these vintage figures they had to be bigger than their original 3 3/4" conuterparts. Part of their charm is that they have limited articulation and are a little primitive in their sculpt. But at 12" the charm maybe works a little against them. Maybe they could have split the difference and done these as 6" maybe. 12" figures just seems overwhelming.

I don't see the appeal myself. The size, the price...meh. Maybe I'll feel different once I see the actual figures.

It'll be interesting to see how the wonkiness of the original 3.75" figures translates into the 12" scale.

IJ, can you stop by GG's booth and take some photos for us so we can see what these look like in person?

Back