Getting back into comics. Where do I start??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoGS

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello Freaks!

I'm about to be 30 years old. My dad used to buy me comics every week as a child. The older I got, the more interested I got in other things *ahem* girls *ahem*, and being into comics wasn't exactly scoring me "cool points". Well fast forward 16 or so years, and F it! I have a fiancee and we have a daughter of our own, I wanna read comics again! Lol.

I used to really enjoy the AMS and Uncanny X-Men. Though, I'll admit that RDJ's Iron Man is what sparked my Marvel revival in the first place. I'm totally immersed in the MCU now. That said, I've never read an Iron Man comic but would love to if it's worth the read. But, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START! Seems like there are all these different titles, all these different universes, etc.

I will say these things though, I really am into stuff that is canon or perhaps the "main" title or story. I may be sending away some great reads but I feel like it's a good place to start to at least build a foundation on who these characters are now in the comics.

Any info is greatly appreciated! I know I only really mentioned Spider-Man, X-Men, and Iron Man, but if you feel there are other great Marvel comics out there, I'm all ears. Thanks!

The Marvel U just had a massive shake up with the last event book, Secret Wars. Essentially it consolidated the main 616 universe with supplemental universes (eg. the 1610 Ultimate universe). A list of the resulting titles can be found here though many of the classic characters like Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner have new people taking up their super-hero identities so it might take some getting used to.

Now is a good time to start. Marvel has restarted all their comics at issue one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guys! Great to hear that I won't be too behind if I decide to start now. And I appreciate the link to all the current stuff.

Comixology / Amazon Comics might also be good to check out. They offer a lot of the #1s for new series for free and often have theme / publisher sales where you can pick up a lot of quality stuff for cheap. There is a lot to be said for portability and not worrying about messing up a physical copy.

Dipped into Invincible Iron Man (surprise surprise considering my sig lol) and I really like what I've been seeing. Really reminds me of MCU Tony. Looks like I've found one to start with. Glad I'm catching this close to the start. Appreciate all the help fellas!

I'm really not feeling the whole revamped Marvel U. Feels like in a year or 2, they'll be doing it again. That and Marvel is becoming more and more PC with SJW undertones, especially in their writing. It's stuff like this that makes me not want to support them:

CZxWEBHWIAAcky9.jpg

IDW's TMNT is amazing. Story arc, characters, all of it. I look forward to each issue. Btw, they are making a new video game featuring all of the iDW TMNT characters via IDWGames, Inc.

So after semi-splurging on 15+ comics and reading through them, I feel a little more inclined to go with a Marvel Unlimited subscription. Simply for the fact that some of the comics are, for lack of a better word, boring. I think I'll only go with physical copies for story arcs I really enjoy or if I enjoy the artist's work. Reading a comic digitally would pretty much be my screening process.

One thing I do want to know though, do the digital copies release the same day the physical copies are released?

Yes, they do. The physical copy of Marvel comics also come with a digital copy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've been reading the new antman series and its been somewhat boring. I've found myself wanting to hurry and get through them. It's not bad but a bit boring. Amazing Spider-Man hasn't been bad. But I love Spider-Man so.....

I actually buy the hard copies with digital codes so when I'm done, I can sell them discounted and get some of my money back. I'll only keep if I love it.

Back