Gentle Giant's Vintage 12" Star Wars Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the wampa is about double the size of the other retro 12" figures. All GG really needed to do was double the price of the regular retro figures. It would actually be under $200.

Too bad they had to get greedy.

Last edited:
I'd blame the high price on the limited run. Sadly this means we'll probably never seen a Rancor. :(

I was also thinking this piece would be huge but 22 inches actually puts it under the height of the Tusken Raider PF. Fail and fail from GG.

I'd blame the high price on the limited run. Sadly this means we'll probably never seen a Rancor. :(

I was also thinking this piece would be huge but 22 inches actually puts it under the height of the Tusken Raider PF. Fail and fail from GG.

Limited run and also who know whats it costs them(another license fee) to remake a trademarked item.

After the news of the Wampa's price, I've heard a lot of people talking about how they're reconsidering collecting the entire line. I can't help but wonder if GG hasn't shot itself in the foot with this move. Some people will of course buy it at $400, but if they alienate a significant portion of their customer base, they're going to be losing money in the long run.

Also, in-hand pics of Bossk have made it pretty clear that they have extensively resculpted this and other figures to add detail that's not present on the originals. Since the entire point of the line is to play on people's nostalgia for the originals, I question the wisdom of this.

980282_10151735996157695_2103927291_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/gentlegiantltd

After the news of the Wampa's price, I've heard a lot of people talking about how they're reconsidering collecting the entire line. I can't help but wonder if GG hasn't shot itself in the foot with this move. Some people will of course buy it at $400, but if they alienate a significant portion of their customer base, they're going to be losing money in the long run.

Also, in-hand pics of Bossk have made it pretty clear that they have extensively resculpted this and other figures to add detail that's not present on the originals. Since the entire point of the line is to play on people's nostalgia for the originals, I question the wisdom of this.

I stopped buying these because the scale was all over the place. I hadn't heard about Bossk.

Holy crap! That Wampa is huge! :thud:

I stopped buying these because the scale was all over the place. I hadn't heard about Bossk.

Yeah, the inconsistency is what gets me. The scale and appearance of these figures varies wildly. I never really considered collecting the whole line (I'd certainly complete my collection of actually vintage figures before I did that, even if these were fantastic).

Yeah, I stopped as well. In fact, I'm currently selling my Death Star Droid, R5-D4, Power Droid and the Cantina Playset Backdrop (all MIB) in the For Sale-Action Figure section here in case anyone needs those at a good price.

Hi guys,

To everyone collecting this line I just wanted to get some opinions.
I passed on these when they came out because I was too busy and tied up financially with sideshow stuff and other props but I've got the opportunity to get the whole line in one hit including variants to date for 3k obviously not the pre orders but every figure that's been done.

I know cost is killer walking into this line but my dad was a tight wad when I was a kid and I had like 3 SW figures and I always wanted those figures but never got the chance. Didn't bother later on because getting the whole original set was impossible and I eventually ventured off into props and statues.

Basically is it really worth it to collect this line or will I regret the purchase and is 3K for all a good deal ?

I guess I can fill my walls and it saves on expencive framing and art work and knowing I could finally have a whole line of these figures would be cool. But if I regret the purchase and don't follow the line that will really be upsetting and I would be looking at them thinking how I should of gotten other things.

Wampa price is crazy and the fact that GG seem to want to empty our pockets on fact that they know we would want them doesn't sit easy with me as a collector.

All opinions would be appreciated :)

Hi guys,

I passed on these when they came out because I was too busy and tied up financially with sideshow stuff and other props but I've got the opportunity to get the whole line in one hit including variants to date for 3k obviously not the pre orders but every figure that's been done.

I know cost is killer walking into this line but my dad was a tight wad when I was a kid and I had like 3 SW figures and I always wanted those figures but never got the chance. Didn't bother later on because getting the whole original set was impossible and I eventually ventured off into props and statues.

Basically is it really worth it to collect this line or will I regret the purchase and is 3K for all a good deal ?

I guess I can fill my walls and it saves on expencive framing and art work and knowing I could finally have a whole line of these figures would be cool. But if I regret the purchase and don't follow the line that will really be upsetting and I would be looking at them thinking how I should of gotten other things.

Wampa price is crazy and the fact that GG seem to want to empty our pockets on fact that they know we would want them doesn't sit easy with me as a collector.

I would love to collect them all myself, but they are just way too big and over priced, especially the Wampa. They take up so much room, plus the fact that GG is altering from the original figure does not make me happy. I have a lot of the first 12, but after that, I sort of stopped. It's really up to you if you want them or not. I think 3k is way too much for all of them.

Hi guys,

I would get the original Kenner loose figures if I was sending that kind of cash. I think these are great if you love a character (or a couple) but to get the whole set is crazy. I picked up r2 to go with all the other carded r2 figures I have.

I have a single shelf with stair steps raisers with all the original figures displayed. I have a another shelf with Jabba setup.

Plus displaying everyone of those would take insane room.

How many figures is that? 3K seems extremely high to me. And you should also keep in mind that these are very hard to display well when you get a lot of them together. Also, who knows how many more Gentle Giant is going to be releasing? Are you in it for the long haul, knowing they could release another 30 or so figures?

Actually, let me just make this decision for you. :) I think you would regret spending that kind of cash on this line. And even if you are determined to do so, it's not like it's a fantastic deal. I kind of think you could do about that well buying them all one by one, although I haven't priced them all out. In short, I would pass.

Why not go for the actual vintage figures? Couldn't you get a full set of loose figures for less than 3K? Maybe not all of the really obscure variants, but certainly the main figures.

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

They will take up a LOT of room so that's why I was going to cover both walls with them. And I agree on just getting the figs I like but the problem is some of them online like the jawa for example are over $300 and then there is the chance of damage during transit. This guys collection is mostly mint to near mint condition and if I pay the price online of just the figs I want it will still jump to nearly $2500 so I was thinking 3k for the lot wasnt bad but now I'm thinking other wise haha gotta love collectors giving it to you straight. If he were reading your comments to me he would be like Nooooooooooo!!!

Plus if it boils down to what I just want then even the pre orders I want all of them even wampa but the price is CRAZY!

Waiting for ones I want to go on auction would take up a lot of time with searching like a crazed maniac all day.

For me it's , collect the line or don't ...

Advice on here seems like don't ..

Thanks for the input guys

Cheers!!

30 figures so pretty much $100 each. And that's the thing I have a lot of loose figs already I love the look of them still on the card like the hasbro re issues so if I were to get them they would never be opened and I can't see myself dropping 3K on loose figures I'm still trying to decide if I should drop 3K on this lot but looking at it as $100 a figure doesn't seem too bad... Considering online they want over $100 and some over 2 and $300...for just one figure..

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

They will take up a LOT of room so that's why I was going to cover both walls with them. And I agree on just getting the figs I like but the problem is some of them online like the jawa for example are over $300 and then there is the chance of damage during transit. This guys collection is mostly mint to near mint condition and if I pay the price online of just the figs I want it will still jump to nearly $2500 so I was thinking 3k for the lot wasnt bad but now I'm thinking other wise haha gotta love collectors giving it to you straight. If he were reading your comments to me he would be like Nooooooooooo!!!

Plus if it boils down to what I just want then even the pre orders I want all of them even wampa but the price is CRAZY!

Waiting for ones I want to go on auction would take up a lot of time with searching like a crazed maniac all day.

For me it's , collect the line or don't ...

Advice on here seems like don't ..

Thanks for the input guys

Cheers!!
I am not sure if you have seem the packages in person yet. Just measuring my r2 package it takes up just over 2 sq feet. So if you get 30 of that's 60 sq feet of wall space. Now remember if they go the whole series they are less than 1/3 done. Plus figures like Wampa will likely take up twice as much space.

Who was the *** clown that turned all the heads on the Tusken Raiders before they were sealed on the card. ********r.

BB

Back