GENTLE GIANT....YOUR HAVING A LAUGH....LIMITED EDITIONS???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: hmm

stewieyoko.jpg

Hi Everyone,

The Clone Wars Pieces have a nice edition size. 20,000 isn't limited. I mean, they made 10,000 Lava Vaders and I thought that was alot. Yet, you really can't find one. I think it will have an impact on price, but it will still be in big demand. Don't forget Star Wars is hot overseas as well and at least for Vader, he is an Icon so I think they will be available for probably 10 months before they dry up. I think you would be able to get a pretty good deal on them. Same goes for Yoda. I think Yoda will be the one to be really low priced because 15,000 is alot for his character (IMHO). As for the Biker Scout, 5000 pieces isn't that much considering the demand and how hot the piece looks. As for Sandtrooper, people collect them 6 at a time, LOL (Armies). Those I think will sell out first. I think some of these companies wing it based on demand for the product and presales once it's first announced. If GG was going to make 10,000 Vader busts, but presold 16-17,000 then at that time, I would think is when they bumped it up. As for being collectible? At 20,000 pieces, I don't think it's a piece which will double in price in 3 years. But then again, who knows? Sometime you can not call this stuff.

Thanks,
Mike
:ted

I for one haven't got a problem with high edition sizes even this high but in the case of the speederbike diarama increasing an edition size from 1500 to 5000 after retailers and distributors have been preselling them for months based on a lower edition size is very shoddy.

I thought I heard last year before the Sandtrooper on Dewback piece that all dioramas would be around 1500. Anyone else remember this? Thought it was in an interview with GG or something....hmmm....I don't know...just a bad memory most likely. :\

I think the big gripe also is when you have 15,000-20,000...probably gonna see some great prices. People don't like to think that they pre-ordered something at a price that will be higher than they actually end up selling for when they ship. Because when they pre-ordered...they were assuming a reasonable LE.

The Lava Vader thing...kind of different since price was a bit cheaper, more tikes may've wanted, more parents would buy an action figure than a fragile bust for their kids, etc...all types of things that can be compared though. Marketing may be one too...buying at Target and visible in ads...how many people really know about Gentle Giant or even Sideshow...or the collectible industry in general? A lot of people know about toy action figures. Another topic, another story...don't rambling. ;)

Man, I'm cancelling these to get them off Ebay. Even if I get charged a 5% fee from one of our board dealers, I'll still come out WAAAY ahead in the end. This is rediculous.

reeeper

It is a joke to even call them limited editions. :puke ..But that speeder biker, is going to go for nothing on ebay.:D :yay

:bliss

Re: reeeper

I think the big gripe also is when you have 15,000-20,000...probably gonna see some great prices. People don't like to think that they pre-ordered something at a price that will be higher than they actually end up selling for when they ship. Because when they pre-ordered...they were assuming a reasonable LE.

That's EXACTLY what my gripe is. I've had these on order for months, but people who decide to get them now can do so for even cheaper than what I paid/will pay. I preordered the Biker Scout assuming an LE of 1500 as was originally indicated.

If I knew it was 5000, then I would have held off for Ebay. I think the Dewback might really start to skyrocket later this year now that these ES's are so high. I mean, I remember seeing Dewbacks with a $129.99 BIN on Ebay when it was released, and it retailed for $240. Surely I can get the Biker Scout for $120-$130 tops.

Just my 2 cents, the Biker Scout is a statue, not part of the diorama series...

Well that was part of my gripe if it was part of the diorama series...the base should've been from Endor. But, it's still part of their 7" series with the Dewback, so Diorama/7" series...whatever you want to call it...I thought they were all said to be an LE of 1500 originally. :dunno

yes this sucks indeed. i have already cancelled my preorder for the scout trooper/speeder bike. not that the edition size matters to me, but the people who rushed to pre-order because being told of the LOW edition size are indeed getting the shaft.

Hi Everyone,

I can't wait for the scout on speeder bike to come out. The piece really looks incredible. 500 or 5000, 1 is mine.
:lol

The edition size will hurt sales, but not when they are first released. About 1 month later when they are selling on street corners in hot dog carts since everyone will have them in abundance is when the market will drop.

Still about 1 year later when they all sell out, prices will stabilize and may even rise a little (Code 3 made 10,000 Millennium Falcons). Try to find one now, which is not used (In someone's collection). Some people are paying retail for that ship and 10,000 is a real big number on that piece.

Mike
:ted

I remember the outrage when the edition sizes for Gandalfax, ML and Sauron were announced. Sounds like the order 2 (one to sell) has infected GG customer base as well.

Yup, that will always happen in collectibles when money becomes the bigger deal.

Are you kidding me? At GG prices (busts in particular) it's a buy 6-8 scenario, not just 2. :lol

But, yeah...it's just like Sideshow...then the edition sizes jump and the profits on resell go down...good for collectors, but a bit of a backlash as prices really drop for their product...doesn't look as good when your products sell for pennies so to speak and you decrease the edition size again...etc. Never ending in the money game...everyone wants some.

I'm just surprised GG didn't do it years ago. The last 6 years would've been good to them, but they were slower to start in the game I think. Production may have been an issue...don't really know the reason for smaller editions previously.

Money makes the world go round...everyone wants a piece of the pie or smaller costs...it never ends...just have to live with it and follow the circle round and round. Just gotta be glad things are being made that you want to collect. 20,000 Darth Vader busts is better than GG not making busts/statues at all.

I wonder what the original estimates/expectations for ES of Vader and Yoda were?

Just looking at the entertainmentearth site, they never sold out of preorders for those 2 bust, but did sellout of preorders on the Speederbike and the 2 Sandtrooper busts. Now I notice that the Speederbike is available again, not surprising with a larger allocations and likely cancellations since the ES announcement. While the Sandtroopers are still soldout, again somewhat understandable. I figured the Sandtroopers would handle a larger ES better than anything else since 1) the ES is divided among the 2 bust and 2) a lot of collectors actually army build with the busts as well so buy more than 1 of each.

Has anyone noticed these trends anywhere else?

Just gotta be glad things are being made that you want to collect.

Thats my mind set. I'm just glad stuff is being made from movies that bring me happiness are out so I can buy and have a piece of them.

Oxbeard, remember that just because a particular site is sold out or not...it doesn't mean a whole lot since they may not order as many as possible. They may've only ordered so many, regardless of the LE size.

I know Marz was still selling both to retailers...anyone can look at their site (just can't see the prices). But, they could be sold out with GG before Marz has removed from the site. Or GG could merely over allocate and have a bunch of shortages.

I think it's pretty obvious when an edition size isn't announced...that the manufacturer is waiting to see how many pre-sells they get before setting the edition size. Much how Master Replicas is doing with the sabers...just retiring eventually although still numbering. Maybe they should just pre-sell without an edition size announced that way they could at least number their sabers...xxx out of yyyy. I don't like the xxx, but you don't know they yyyy way they are doing it right now. Like Yoda ROTS LE is retired...how many did they make of him? I don't know that I've ever heard.

Back