Statue Gentle Giant: "Honey Trap" line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is worth the wait. Technically it was only about 2.5 years

2.5 years? :lol yeah I wanted these a while ago but now with so much on the plate since 3 years ago. My collecting has changed a bit glad I don't need these anymore. But they all look awesome! Some of the best sculpts I've seen ever.

Thoughts on Whisper...

I mostly posted about Whisper on the SF. But she's finally here. And let's get this out of the way first. The constant delays were completely unacceptable. I pre-ordered a little over two years ago with an original scheduled release date of I believe 2nd quarter 2014. After she missed the original date, the constant next quarter and next quarter delays began. After early 2015 or so I stopped listening to the shipping updates. They were just going to be wrong anyway. The delay was so long that where I ordered Whisper from wasn't even charging tax in my state back then. The delays cost me money that I could have used elsewhere. At this point it's safe to say I'll never get another Gentle Giant statue again because of how what I believe is their flagship line was handled. But at least I got Whisper for as cheap as possible. For example I got Whisper for lower than the price Sideshow is going to for current PFs and their new Red Sonja. Which is a deal. Still, a year and a half delay...That's crazy. I don't think there is a statue out there that's been delayed that long and few things are worth that kind of wait. But anyway after all that, I finally have Whisper...

Early pics reminded me of Sideshow's first Red Sonja with the darker paint job and I was ready to really cut loose. But Whisper is no where near as bad as that Red Sonja. Even Gentle Giant couldn't photo her well for the box art. But at least they used photos of the actual statue. A question is did the factory send Whisper to the Gentle Giant offices for pics? And if so, who saw this updated production sample, photographed it, created the box art, decided it was close enough to the original prototype, and then thought to not update the order page or forums with new pics similar to what Sideshow now does when they receive production samples? It's baffling after all this time and delays that it wasn't even a consideration. Did they just say hell with it, this is good enough? Who knows...

I think most noticed that Gentle Giant touched up some of their site images of Whisper on both the normal and variant. But even with that knowledge, their site images and Comic Con pics don't look that different. The released Whisper's facial look is different. I'm not sure why either. The sculpt seems the same from what I can tell. But Whisper lost some detail in her expression. I'm not a painter. But whatever the original prototype had that enhanced her lifelike look isn't as present on the final version. Her face is more neutral and not as arrogant or superior like the prototype. Still very pretty but just different. The variant wasn't like this. I've seen pictures of the box but didn't see made in China. Maybe the variant was painted in the US? Or maybe since the variant was an edition of only 100, the top artists at the China factory could be placed on the job? Again who knows...

Physically Whisper is one of the most beautiful and lifelike female statues I own. Quarter scale makes her very impressive. Few statues are on this level. Only statues of a couple other female characters could possibly top her. One is the coming Red Sonja by the same sculptor. She looks to have the same sort of realistic detailing as Whisper. I would love to see him sculpt Black Canary. That would be another one if she's more realistic and not comic. Not that a comic look is bad. But it's just about heightened realism. The textures in the sculpt. More and more sculptors seem to be doing it but this is the first I've seen up close in quarter scale. The twisting Octopus tattoo, transparent wet suit, and highly detailed scuba gear just enhance that realism. Physically she's just a really cool design.

Although Whisper's sculpt is beautiful and the details are amazing. And let's be honest, for the retail price they should be. There should also be zero issues from the factory. Yet, I still see some on my piece. For example:

1. A little glue rub on the back of her wet suit probably during assembly of all the pieces.

2. Some small odd lines. I'm not sure if they are paint. I've seen these on Sideshow statues at times and a little rubbing with warm water can remove them.

3. Other small paint issues. There is some paint on the strap that holds her spear gun. Also some small rubbing on her suit from from the scuba gear that probably happened during transport. Picky things. Stuff I would let slide on a Sideshow piece knowing that it could be worse on a replacement.

4. I don't think her goggles were placed on accurately. Mine aren't fully flush on one side. You can only tell if you are looking at it from above though.

5. Her spear hand isn't completely flush on her inner wrist. I might need to see if the hole is completely clean though.

6. No problems with screws on the base. I really hate using screws though. Having to put Whisper on a pillow just like Sweat Pea and screw in a heavy base to a fragile statue is not ideal. I don't think any other statue company out there uses screws.

7. Not really issues but small changes that I've noticed so far. For example, the lower part of her goggles are different. It was a black color on the prototype version and white the released statue. Also her spear gun is black where she's holding it on prototype and silver on the released version.

I know price is relative. But if we could talk about retail price compared to other statues and what the market is now doing, I think she's just not worth $669 plus shipping and taxes, so around $700, for the normal or variant. The overall presentation and high end statue experience is no where near what I've seen from XM Studios in unboxing videos. I've yet to see an XM Studios piece in person but from videos they look impressive.

When Whisper was first previewed she was one of the few at this level of detail that I can remember. But now many are at this level and they are not charging $700. I knew Sideshow wouldn't charge $700 for Red Sonja which is also by the same sculptor. First4Figures Simon Belmont looks fantastic and is not $700. None of the XM Studios pieces that I've checked start as high in Singapore Dollars as Whisper. Phoenix and Magneto are close but those come with detailed bases, a print, change of portraits, high end packaging, and instructions. Add in that Honey Trap is an unlicensed property and you really start questioning the price tag.

For the price she needs a base. Yes she's very detailed with tattoos and scuba gear but to just have a simple circle base for $700? Nope. To give a hint at what I'm going to do to spice up the base all you have to do is note the background and where Bond is most of the time in the movie. That's going to be my base mod.

I didn't want to jinx things but I really thought Whisper and the whole line was going to be cancelled. That Gentle Giant was going to pull a Sideshow and hope people would forget like with Quorra and maybe one day say "oh we cancelled that because there wasn't enough interest." After all as of this writing Gentle Giant's site for Whisper still says "Pre-Order - Q2 2015 Release" although availability does list in stock, the edition size is still TBD when I have her sitting right here with a 600 edition size card. Of course the old pics are still up too. Let's not forget that the Honey Trap Army site is still down and no comics or any other storyline for that matter was released.

In the end, I think if you paid $700 and expected the facial sculpt of the prototype, and why wouldn't you for the price and after seeing the variant? I don't see how one couldn't be a bit disappointed. But for me, I still like the normal more than the variant. Even with the differences she's still awesome. I always liked the darker look like she was about to go on a night spy mission dive. That she's beautiful yet not the sort of woman you would mess around with. Besides I didn't think they went far enough with the Bond homage on the variant. I posted about that on the SF. However, if those reasons aren't true for you and if you didn't get an amazing deal like I did, then maybe that money on the normal should go towards the more rare and accurate to prototype variant or maybe even Red Sonja.

** Note on a few pics, I used flash to see if it would make her look like prototype at SDCC. I knew it wouldn't but I was just curious.

Whisper_A.jpg

Whisper_B.jpg

Whisper_C.jpg

Just got her today and she looks nothing like what's been posted. This is extremely well done by GG. One of of not their best statues ever produced. So much to like about this statue. If it wasn't for the lack luster base, this is a 10/10 statue.

Agree the face is different in some way :(

Yeah if a painter is checking out this thread or has her I wonder what they think. If it's the sculpt or something missing in the paint job.

She looks so sad now...

True. But it depends on the angle. That's why I tried to photo her like one of those SDCC pics. You can still see a lot of that prototype beauty once you move off straight on and look from angles. But it's still like some of the extra paint details are missing.

Just got her today and she looks nothing like what's been posted. This is extremely well done by GG. One of of not their best statues ever produced. So much to like about this statue. If it wasn't for the lack luster base, this is a 10/10 statue.

Actually she does look that way for the most part. Perhaps when and if someone puts up a video it will better illustrate the differences between the release version and prototype. Besides, I would not have posted pics if I thought they were bad and not representative of what someone who is on the fence will get. I even talked about it more in the review. My pics are certainly closer to what you will get than what Gentle Giant still has on their site. Those photos should be removed immediately as it's false advertising. They could use the pics from the box art. That's representative of what you'll get too. Although they touched those up as well and she looks kind of odd.

I gotta agree. Picked mine up from Spec Fiction yesterday (awesome seller BTW). Whisper is loaded with details and, like so many GG statues, really close to the prototype. Same amazing quality since I started with their Sucker Punch girls years back. Now I'm tempted to get a few more ladies from the collection - particularly Derby.

I gotta agree. Picked mine up from Spec Fiction yesterday (awesome seller BTW). Whisper is loaded with details and, like so many GG statues, really close to the prototype. Same amazing quality since I started with their Sucker Punch girls years back. Now I'm tempted to get a few more ladies from the collection - particularly Derby.
I'm getting the first 3 girls (Whisper, Lucky & Derby) as part of an extension to the sucker punch line. Those were very well done. The 2 lines compliments together well.

I'm getting the first 3 girls (Whisper, Lucky & Derby) as part of an extension to the sucker punch line. Those were very well done. The 2 lines compliments together well.

The GG statues look so good individually and collectively. It allows a lot of artistic interpretation in how you display them. You can even do a "versus" setup with Honey Trap and Sucker Punch. :wink1:

More quality pics man what's happening no one wants to post any pics and there's no vids up on utube either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were only three youtube reviews of the variant. Four if you count the one that ended up going to another reviewer. I wouldn't be surprised if the one guy that said he was going to get the normal changed his mind with all the other stuff coming out.

There is a guy on the SF who took pics as well. He also took quality pics of the prototype at the con. This probably will be it. Gentle Giant took too long and few are interested in this line now. Most barely were to begin with.

Gentle Giant took too long and few are interested in this line now. Most barely were to begin with.

Agreed. I remember the hype when these were first announced. Many members wanted background stories. Some were even talking about a comic book (or was it GG that said they would do one?)... Anyway, it's a real shame and a missed opportunity to capitalize on what could have developed into a huge fan base.

Agreed. I remember the hype when these were first announced. Many members wanted background stories. Some were even talking about a comic book (or was it GG that said they would do one?)... Anyway, it's a real shame and a missed opportunity to capitalize on what could have developed into a huge fan base.
If I can add the prices were crazy to scarring of many interested people

I was one that wanted more story. I posted about it on the SF. And Gentle Giant said the reason for the delay in the release was because they had stuff they couldn't talk about in progress. Comics were mentioned. I guess those plans fell apart since the Honey Trap site is no longer up.

If I can add the prices were crazy to scarring of many interested people

Indeed. Asking for $500+ for 18" statues that didn't require a license to produce isn't easy to jump on board with.

Many were on board if the likeness was like the prototype though. But I think the price, delays, rising prices from others, and entrance of other companies like XM just killed this line. Since the variant of Whisper is only 100 that will probably hold value. But with 600 of the normal that's not like the prototype. The price is too much.

:lecture

I was very excited about Whisper at first but now, especially after seeing the prices, I have no interest.

Someone on the SF found the deals early on. If you didn't get in on that and have patience, then you were basically stuck to $500+ prices. I got her for under $500.

Just got Whisper and I'm very impressed. The paint and details are very intricate. Too bad I don't like the designs for most of the other Honey Traps or I'd get them all. Maybe Lucky and Katya if they don't cancel them.

Just got Whisper and I'm very impressed. The paint and details are very intricate. Too bad I don't like the designs for most of the other Honey Traps or I'd get them all. Maybe Lucky and Katya if they don't cancel them.

I think Whisper's is definitely the best design. The others just aren't quite as memorable. Derby is pretty cool though.

Back