Statue Gentle Giant: "Honey Trap" line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally saw Whisper up close and I was a little underwhelmed. I really thought I would be pushed over the edge, but it's just not as impressive as I hoped. IDK. It's not the price, it's just not enough bang for the buck. But it sold out every day. Actually, almost everything was selling out at GG.

attachment.php

Last edited:
basically the price gouging on this line is just as bad as the LSF line. I have absolutely 0 interest in these non known characters regardless how great they look. I would say people are crazy for paying these prices, but that would be pretty hypocritical.

Outside of Whisper....we have no idea, unless I missed some news, what Gentle Giant plans on pricing the rest of the line at.

For all we know they could be in the $300 - $400 range. :huh

Wishful thinking in my opinion. I would be shocked if any of them have an msrp less than $500.

This guy tries so hard to justify the price. I keep hearing "real and rubberized". I am not convinced. He's not even convinced.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdo3y5WMim4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdo3y5WMim4[/ame]

This guy tries so hard to justify the price. I keep hearing "real and rubberized". I am not convinced. He's not even convinced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdo3y5WMim4

All that matters is that the fans are convinced and judging by the sell out they were indeed convinced :dunno

We can be non believers, but in the end value really does boil down to the person. If someone really likes this statue and thinks it's worth the price then more power to them. I see people blow hundreds of dollars over retail on Sideshow and PCS pieces all the time and I think that's absolutely absurd (seriously you just commission a statue twice as nice and perfectly tuned to your liking instead of buying some of these statues that are expensive just because of their age and ES and not because of any real merit). At the same time I preordered the new Conan PF and see nothing wrong with the price, but many do. It's hard to say if GG are exploiting the fans. If these rubber components and being painted in the US add a lot to the costs of production perhaps it's a fair price. Hard to say without someone more well versed in the field giving us the facts.

I have this statue. Bought it on the last day of the Con.

Yeah the price was a major pain but it is beautiful - to me anyway.

The eyes don't look like the piece they sent out promo pics of. Mine has quite a bit more of a smokey makeup application around the eyes.

All in all, there is a lot more detail on it than anything I have gotten from Sideshow. Not knocking Sideshow but GG obviously worked hard on this one.

The eyes don't look like the piece they sent out promo pics of. Mine has quite a bit more of a smokey makeup application around the eyes.

All in all, there is a lot more detail on it than anything I have gotten from Sideshow. Not knocking Sideshow but GG obviously worked hard on this one.

I haven't seen actual in hand photos. I forgot con people have the statue already. Could you post pictures and talk to us a bit about the quality of the materials and the paint application? Compared to Sideshow or other companies, do you think the quality and quality control are superior?

I think these are the questions we need to be asking.

I'm in Seattle, come over and see it :p

But honestly now, it is much better than most Sideshow pieces I own or have owned.

Generally speaking when you buy a statue any belts, straps, pouches, what have you are sculpted into the overall piece. Most of those things on this statue are separate sculpts and then added to the main piece.

I like the wet suit on this one because I feel like I can see the tattoo under it better than on the regular release.

The wet suit, goggles and flippers are made of something else compared to the rest of the statue. They aren't resin but not rubber either as far as I can tell. I am going to say they are some sort of plastic but whatever they are using, it works.

I have her standing next to a Sideshow Talon and AH! Mystique. They are pretty much the same overall size but it is pretty darn clear that much more work was put into making Whisper.

Without a doubt $669 is a major kick in the shorts. I am not going to lie. I hem-hawed over the price for the pre-order and missed out on it. It was by sheer luck and determination (and knowing the right people) that I scored it at con on the last day. They only sold 6 per day at the show and they lasted about ten minutes each day. One joker bought at least 3 of them before he was told no more.

Now that I am a few days removed from the pain in my wallet, I don't have much regret. Yeah, it was a ton of money but I didn't get a cheap piece either. And it was limited to only 100 which makes me feel even better about it.

:clap Congrats on acquiring this magnificent looking piece. Please... post some pics of your score. :1-1:

Back