Gentle Giant Balrog Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good exposures and compositions, Pixar! Not to mention, stable tripod. :)

I like all the shots very much, except from the extreme up-angle. The shoulders of Mr. Shadow & Flame don't really join to his body in a most appealing way.

Otherwise, it seems to be a minor masterpiece.

Can anyone compare it to Baby Balrog?

Yeah, the left arm doesn't attach really nicely to the body when the lights are on. That's my one complaint.

I still prefer both SSW versions to this but overall this piece is one of cooler busts I have.

great pics P1 :D

should have mine by Friday. Now hurry up with the Sarumon already GG

Fantastic pics everyone :bow

This is the only piece from the GG LOTR line up I've not ordered (except Glorfindel of course) but having seen all these pics you are making it very hard to resist adding this one to my collection too.
:D

Can anyone compare it to Baby Balrog?

Baby Balrog? you mean this one?

IMG_7725.jpg

IMG_7726.jpg

I give em this much, they really know how to do light-up features. First the Gandalf Bust now this guy. I can't wait to see Saruman's palantir!

After many repeated viewings of the Moria scene with the Balrog,,I"m convinced that the "wings" of the creature are in fact made of Smoke and not the fleshlike wings of a bat,which the statues all have. I mean he has the fingerlike structure like a bat,but there is just smoke or shadow,if you prefer that makes up the wing. I have still framed the dvd and i'm convinced I'm right. So are the company's who make the statues correct in making the wings the way they are,also why is the GG Balrogs chest a flesh color,when the chest was all dark and cracked with fire the same as the rest of his body? Otherwise,the light up effect of the GG Balrog is the best representation of the Movie creature.

I say kudos to GG for keeping this sub $50. I think they could have sold it for more due to size and light-up effect. The Jabba throne at $300 is another story...

The thing I don't like about the GG bust is that the pose doesn't seem to fit with the creature. It's too much like an angry wrestler or something--'look at me, roar!', while the baby Balrog looks like a real creature, a demon that's more horrible than just some burning monster. The GG is posed like some devil that happens to be burning, the SSW really is a thing of shadow and flame. Not to say it's a bad piece, it's beautiful (well, for a Balrog that is) and the lights are AMAZING--I'm just not a fan of that pose.

Thank you for the pics, Pixar!

This is what I suspected -- virtually the same scale, and yet almost completely different. Weta's sculpt is art, that's also obvious. GG's, well, lights up. I'm not sure how much I'll end up liking it in broad daylight, what with that pale belly and all. Guess I'll just call him Baby Balrog's obnoxious step nephew Tim from up in Angmar, or something.

Lordsidi -- excellent point on the consistency of Balrog wings in the films! It's especially apparent as it falls down to the foundations of stone in TTT -- the wings almost blow out, only the struts remaining. It was a great way in which Weta Digital solved the age-old debate on whether the Balrogs had wings or not, and they're rarely given credit for it.

(As for myself, I don't care much -- Melkor created them at will, so he could have given some of them wings, or winglike appendages to spread shadow around themselves, without giving them the ability to fly. And I don't think the scenes with the Balrog in both the first two films can ever be bettered.)

Lights really give the statue that extra umpp...

hey P1X4R, I added some lights to my Naruto statue. I'll post it really soon :)

Hmmm... now I'm torn. Which balrog!?! Kinda hafta agree that the Weta is nicer looking of the two. What can he be had for these days?

Although I like the Weta version better as well, I think it's important to note that the statue's MSRP is $150 while the bust's is $55.

Back