Geil's humble beginnings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As always thanks for the comments. I have been so busy with life but hopefully picking up on continuing my quest to finish my display aehhh living room soon

:borg "Resistance is Futile"

A newly regained old space in a new way .....

photodec03224738.jpg

photodec03224951.jpg

Bring it on Batmobile or Camo Tumbler!!!!

Temporary lighting in place for now

These look like bestas, but how did you fit the Tumbler inside? Besta's come at ~15" deep...the Tumbler is about 18" at widest. Any hints?? :)

Oh it's actually not Besta. It's an older design from ikea. Maybe 9yrs old and has been discontinued for almost just as long. It's a low 2 drawer Cabinet that is almost 24" deep and can be configured as a shelf or w drawers. I picked up 4 of these back then and have been using them mainly as a huge entertainment unit with tons of storage space. Converted a few of them few years back to hide away my AV components to free up space to start displaying my new found hobbies on top of it. And glad it is actually deep enough :D

Ahh that would explain it. Darn :/ Another question for ya, you mention you used CCFL lights under the translucent plexiglass...what exactly did you use here? I can't seem to find anything thin enough to put under the glass and have it sit level on a shelf.

Ahh that would explain it. Darn :/ Another question for ya, you mention you used CCFL lights under the translucent plexiglass...what exactly did you use here? I can't seem to find anything thin enough to put under the glass and have it sit level on a shelf.

Yeah that is the challenge. brighter LEDs are starting to come out namely the 5730 series but I have yet to be able to track any down myself. testing 5630 very soon though. Hopefully I find a way to provide some comparison
CCFL I used is the same as this listing for Logisys
I found and bought them in my local computer store years back but pretty much have dried up when I tried to get some more last year so I had to track some down on eBay. I got lucky and found some for $10 amd S/H $10 while most other listings where the same price as the one I listed. Even at $20 a piece I ended up spending too much for 12 of these :p I say wait for 5730 LEDs and hope they come close in brightness

Gotcha thanks for the tip. Another question :) Where did you get your plexi from? Is it just standard frosted plexi?

actually I have a wholeseller I get my materials from. Frosted is actually a lot more translucent and really is the type that is being used in showerdoors and will not get the results you want ( I got some samples to test) In the end it was down to white or a slightly translucent white which both are typically used in for lightboxes. The white helps diffuse the light giving a better even lit surface though the closer the lightsource is the more you will see "hotspots" in my setup the lights are barely 1/4" away from the plexi so the light will not difuse evenly but a compromise I was willing to accept. Unless I get my hands on what LCD manufacturers use to do the job (but no luck in tracking any down so far) this is likely the best I can do using shelves that are barely 1.5" thick and to be honest I am happy enough with the result ;)
Hope my insight can help you find a solution but keep an eye on the "How to display your collectibles" subsection as I will post LED comparisons there if I ever get to it ;)

Thanks it is my grail no matter what else comes out the MF will be my most valued and pride piece ;)

Thanks and finally I cleaned it up a little and opened a few more boxes as I realized the "89 Batmobile won't be here for a little while longer anyways
photoapr01004219.jpg

photoapr01004227.jpg

photoapr01004241.jpg

I since have added two types of LED strips for testing and with very different results but will share it tomorrow in a more LED focused thread. Going to have to try to see if I can take some useful pictures for comparison

I have it on order but really no idea where it can go lol. I already got a second bane to likely go with that and it will have to be in a new space I "find" around the house ;)

I have it on order but really no idea where it can go lol. I already got a second bane to likely go with that and it will have to be in a new space I "find" around the house ;)

Yeah, finding room is going to be an issue for me as well. But, congrats and can't wait to see what you have in store for the display.

Thanks guys. Just scratching my head where to go with all the figures ones the '89 is here. I guess my debate is to have the camo in this display and squeeze as many Nolan figures in and have the '89 Batmobile and figures separately or mix the '89 batmobile and figures in here and banish the camo somewhere else :(. The first option makes more sense but the second would be more epic. I fear whatever does not get displays here isn't going to see the light in some time :p ok more cleanup of my place this weekend and hopefully a more complete shot of my living room :p

Back