"Gee Lois, that's swell!" - Christopher Reeve CLARK KENT heads incoming!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Gee Lois, that's swell!" - Christopher Reeve CLARK KENT heads incoming!

Thanks everyone.

It is a variation of my long standing Superman head, which I have offered before, but am no longer offering at present. This thread is just for the Clark Kents.

That still doesn't answer my question. Is this sculpted from scratch or was it modified from another sculptors work? The reason I ask is I'm interested in purchasing one, but I only support original work, not modified castings of someone elses work.

i dont know this answer but dude this is a custom site. everyone here paints, adds sculpey, modifies, improves. good luck on here in having any cool customs or fun! if thats your stand lol

i dont know this answer but dude this is a custom site. everyone here paints, adds sculpey, modifies, improves. good luck on here in having any cool customs or fun! if thats your stand lol

Thanks Doc. I agree, I would have never been able to solve any of this without the base I was sent to work from. And months of research and feedback that helped me to do it. I am not by trade a sculptor, but I learned a lot from this project, and it has been a most successful, albeit VERY reserved and hard to get sculpt, in my portfolio. Only recently have I even allowed it to be sold as a head, and that in limited amounts.
I think anyone that has ever wanted it, can attest to that. I have not made it an easy head to get.
And there have been MANY opportunities to sell it, believe me. I only sell these Clarks now, because I promised to make them available when he was done.

Ok, here again is the history of my Superman head.

Sometime in 2004 or 05, I received an already BADLY altered and reworked Jim Mattox bust sculpt, that the owner/commisioning person purchased on Ebay, about three years ago and sent to me.
He asked if there was anything I could to to fix it. That purchaser worked with me, over the internet, using photo references, to completely alter the already badly reworked sculpt.

When I got it, it was a mess. You could kinda see Jim's work in there, but it was badly altered. Whoever had tried to fix it, had only added width to the head, with putty, and more hair. It was less than acceptable, and was no longer even Jim's work anymore. It had lost that also.

I spent about two months reworking that mess, into what you see.
All that is left of Jim's sculpt really, is the placement of the nose (which was reworked) and eye placement (which was also). I totally resculpted the rest. Totally sculpted the hair. I claim that without reservation. Totally (and eternally it seemed) sculpted the chin. I claim that. The mouth was toughest. That I had to totally resculpt from scratch.
The eyes were tweaked. The original's placement was ok, but way too thin. It needed widening, which resulted in a total redo.

I did NOT use or refer to an original Mattox headcast, nor have I ever altered one. I only altered the copycat recast that was sent to me.

I claim this sculpt as mine, since I did at the very least 95% of it. Jim's, if shown next to it, is a very different animal. You can see some base for where I started, but it is not the same head. End of that.

As for the Clark Kent, he is a further reworking of the Superman.

I told Jim of this "alteration of an alteration project" back when it was going on, and his words were, "have at it". I promised him I would not, and do not ever, recast his work as my own. He knows that, and this is not his work.

All this is documented, and has been all this time, years now, at my own website, and at ETERNAL COLLECTOR.com, in the customs section, on this head and my subsequent figure. It is not news. Go here to see more about the Superman and the first Clark I did:
ETERNAL COLLECTOR article on FML Superman

Again, I only have four painted Clarks left. After that, no more.

Last edited:

Just want to say again you did an outstanding job on this Les :rock

Just sick, Les! Great stuff. If I were a Superman collector I'd be all over these.

Only three painteds left now.
Seems all this talk made someone want it even more. Thanks!

Thank you for the explanation. I realize a lot of customizing figures involves resculpting and repainting. I have hired sculptors and painters to do that myself as one off projects. I have a personal issue with supporting the molding and casting of these types of projects that aren't 100 percent original. Most people on this board don't have a problem with it. I'm not comfortable with it is why I ask. I appreciate your honesty in explaining the process. Good luck with selling the rest of the heads.

Hello Les-

Sent a PM [and email] late last night. Can I claim a painted head?

Thanks!

looks great les. i'm really tempted which is saying something because i don't have a superman and clark without superman just doesn't make sense but the job you did is so good it might pull me over.

Beautiful, Les. Awesome Clark. :rock

You know well that I would love to add this to my Collection. :D

Last edited:

Les, you know I definitely want one of these Clark Kent head sculpts! I would love to get a painted one from you too. I paint okay I guess. But, you're MUCH better than I am at painting! Please put me down for one painted CK head sculpt from you. I'll try to pay you as soon as I can. :eek: My money's tight as usual. The wife watches it like a "hawk". :rolleyes:

Only one open painted head left in the queue.

About seven unpainteds left.

Email me as my PM box is about full. But let me know asap and this will be a closed set soon.

Glasses are all ordered for the painted head run, and will come with those, and be painted also.
You can still get them at Cotswold if you need them for the unpainteds.

Les, email sent re the last painted one!:D

Painted Clarks are gone. Thanks all for the interest.

There are still about six unpainteds left. No rush as those will be here til they sell. The painteds are the only ones I had a turnaround time frame on. The unpainteds will be here until they sell out.
Thanks all!

Back