Garbage Disposal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fopflugel

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Nope no collectibles in the disposal, yet.

But maybe a strange question but here it goes. Next month we're going on holiday to California. In my new house i want a garbage disposal. In Belgium we're not allowed to have them :mad:,
So it's very hard to find them here. If you can find one here, they'll cost +$1500.

So where can i buy a garbage disposal unit in or arround California?

So this thing:
garbage.jpg

Re: Grabage Disposal

why cant you have a disposal there?.. weird...

Garbage costs money here. Per pound we pay $1 + each year $70 for having the garbage can. With a garbage disposal unit it cost's only the water. And they also say its bad for the sewers :slap.

You can buy a garbage disposal unit at any home improvement store in the US. The two largest home improvement retailers are Home Depot and Lowes. Either one will have a variety of models to choose from, and the prices at both stores will be similar.

Probably the best brand to buy is InSinkErator (such as the one you pictured).

Re: Grabage Disposal

Garbage costs money here. Per pound we pay $1 + each year $70 for having the garbage can. With a garbage disposal unit it cost's only the water. And they also say its bad for the sewers :slap.

Yes, these are horrible for any sewer system. I believe they'll be outlawed in the US soon.

A properly designed and maintained sewage treatment system has no trouble handling garbage disposal waste matter. It is true that without proper treatment, there can be a negative environmental impact, but even the city of New York lifted its ban on disposals after it found that, with proper treatment, it is a far better alternative than sending all of that waste to the landfill.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/i7gIpuIVE3k?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/i7gIpuIVE3k?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

What in the heck are you guys putting in your disposals? Only a little bit of whatever food is leftover on my plate goes in mine and gets pulverized before getting washed away. I don't see how that could be more harmful to the sewage system than the terds I'm deucin' everyday.

The only problem I know of (which is why I said it "can be" a negative impact) is when processed foods loaded with chemicals and preservatives get disposed. Natural foods (fruits, veggies, and most meats) shouldn't pose any problem at all, as I understand it.

fopflugal...have you made your trip to California yet?

Here is the reason that I ask...

I was driving down the road today when I saw a box laying in the middle of the road. It was roughly the size of a Sideshow action figure box so I got curious. I stopped and picked it up and guess what it was...

Yep. Brand new, still in the box, factory sealed. 1/3 hp Maintenance Warehouse brand (which is a Home Depot brand so it should be a good disposal). If you want it, I will send it to you for the cost of shipping only. Let me know.

For some reason, my disposal has started to lock up and not spin when turned on and I have to use a hex wrench beneath the unit to give it a good half or full turn, then it works fine.

It usually does this if it's been left off for a long period of time.

I wonder if it's about to go out soon.

For some reason, my disposal has started to lock up and not spin when turned on and I have to use a hex wrench beneath the unit to give it a good half or full turn, then it works fine.

If fopflugal does not want this one...you can have it.

one tip i have for disposals. never put a roast of corned beef down it. its a nasty mess to pull out from the pipeworks.

Sounds like your motor is going out. Its got a dead spot and when you turn it, it gets past the dead spot.

If fopflugal does not want this one...you can have it.

Seriously? I'd take you up on that if he doesn't want it.

We were talking about garbage disposals at lunch, and a buddy of mine thinks that the manufacturer purposely builds these to break after a certain amount of time. His started leaking, so he looked under the sink, and the leak was coming from a perforated hole pattern that went around the perimeter of the unit. like there was no reason to have a hold pattern there except to make the walls a thinner metal that would eventually rust out, forcing the customer to buy a new unit. He was able to put silicon over the hole to stop the leak, but I just thought that was an interesting hypothesis if the manufacturer did indeed knowingly build and sell units that had planned failure spots that would give out over time.

I don't put anything down mine except for food scraps. I remember being a kid and dumping all sorts of crap in the garbage disposal when I had to clean. It was easier than taking out the trash. :lol

We were talking about garbage disposals at lunch, and a buddy of mine thinks that the manufacturer purposely builds these to break after a certain amount of time. His started leaking, so he looked under the sink, and the leak was coming from a perforated hole pattern that went around the perimeter of the unit. like there was no reason to have a hold pattern there except to make the walls a thinner metal that would eventually rust out, forcing the customer to buy a new unit. He was able to put silicon over the hole to stop the leak, but I just thought that was an interesting hypothesis if the manufacturer did indeed knowingly build and sell units that had planned failure spots that would give out over time.

I don't put anything down mine except for food scraps. I remember being a kid and dumping all sorts of crap in the garbage disposal when I had to clean. It was easier than taking out the trash. :lol

I got no issue with it at all. If fop doesn't get back to me in a day or two it is yours.

I'm by no means an engineer, but I think the perforated holes have something to do with air flow to prevent 1) a vacuum or 2) from overheating.

Back