Gandalf the White PF - Official Picture thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still not looking right. His face seems squashed and he looks like he got in the way of Darth Sidius :emperor
And the pose - what is he doing? Going one way, looking the other and looking totally confused.

If his top lip did show, I think it'd be more accurate.

1032.jpg

It's still not looking right. His face seems squashed and he looks like he got in the way of Darth Sidius :emperor
And the pose - what is he doing? Going one way, looking the other and looking totally confused.

With the exclusive sword the pose is similar to that at Minas Tirith where pippen stabs the orc, here is the best reference pic i could find

rotk1268ti0.jpg

Great pics. This is a very nice PF. I too am holding out for the Grey version of Gandalf, to obtain in PF format.

The outfit is simply beautiful. The headsculpt looks fine. The beard and particularly the moustache is a bit "thick" but it's not a deal breaker to me.

It's that pose that bothers me still, though. Leg twisted behind, waist twisted and torso straight up, leaning back some. It's just not a natural pose. Try posing that way yourself and you'll see what I mean. I can't figure out what exactly he's doing or about to do or just did...

I understand about off-balanced poses but this one just confuses me.

Mine finally arrived. The detail on the costuming is AMAZING and besides the thick stache this is an awesome piece.

img0138tc8.jpg

img0139ed1.jpg

img0143rd8.jpg

img0145af9.jpg

img0147ou0.jpg

img0149vt7.jpg

img0153sd2.jpg

img0146md9.jpg

img0157yy1.jpg

img0158be6.jpg

Awsome pics Isildur! You can really see some of that skin texture in your pics. It looks awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is that FedEx truck!?!?!? :horror :emperor:emperor:horror

So no one else is bothered by the sword hilt? :huh

So my exclusive just arrived, but I don't dare take any pics now --- the lighting wouldn't be good at all.

Here are some random thoughts:

1) The skin tones aren't too dark really, though it is funny when you connect the alternate hands to their MUCH lighter arms. Nice touch, the right arm (sword arm) is held on by a magnet. The only area where he might be a touch too dark is in the forehead, but I don't think I will find myself dwelling on it much.

2) The costuming is amazing, honestly, downright amazing! While the drape isn't quite what I want, I think with some time I can get the waist section to lay a bit more naturally. Down to the eyelits in the wrist sleeves, there is no lack of attention here. The cape is big, and it makes a nice drape down around the base.

3) The pose actually makes sense, especially when viewed in profile. He is merely standing on his back foot; almost as if he were surveying the fray, anticipating his next move. From the front, I don't think it will bother many people either, this is a non-issue for me anyway.

4) WHY oh WHY do they keep using that flakey foam ... me s it! I got a calendar with mine; and it is incorporated into the foam, so it would appear that Sideshow will be using this promotion throughout the beginning of the year at least.

Aside from the hilt issue I have mentioned, the head on his staff is too large, that is a somewhat glaring problem.

On the whole, I am keeping it - I wasn't sure, and tried to remain objective; but this really is a keeper. :clap

Glad to hear you like it Matt. Your pretty much a straight shooter when it comes to reviews.

Next Tuesday for me.

:chew

Aside from the hilt issue I have mentioned, the head on his staff is too large, that is a somewhat glaring problem.

On the whole, I am keeping it - I wasn't sure, and tried to remain objective; but this really is a keeper. :clap

That is the one issue that really gets to me, however overall it is still a keeper.

Glad to hear you like it Matt. I knew you would and I'll be able to give my two cents tomorrow.

Looks really nice, especially the costuming... the work SS can do on the PF clothing is pretty insane, and this is a great example. Although to me the Lurtz is still the prize of the PFs (not that there are that many) so far.

I've seen the GTW PF in person and I have to agree that the likeness just pales in comparison to Aragorn. I'm quite a big collector of SSC products and I l love what they're doing, but this one just can't escape my criticism.

I just couldn't get over the harsh lines on his forehead, the cartoonish eyebrows, the oversized nose. the thick stache, the onnatural and innacurate way the beard moves up to the lower lip and not to mention the lack of detail in the hair and the way it springs from the forehead.

Now some people might say it captures the 'essence' of the GTW, but I don't think it does that either. I just don't believe in statements like that. It's obvious they tried to capture the likeness of Sir Ian here and it didn't work out. Would it have been a random likeness it could have worked, but seeing the bad likeness of Sir Ian on this piece ruins the rest for me, it's the movie Gandalf they were after (not some random bearded dude). The pose is also something I wouldn't associate with Gandalf at all.

I DO have to give them alot of credit for the costume (Which aside from a few nitpicks) looked very good. I just don't hope that if we start praising subpar products like these, it will take away the criticism of SS products and they'll continue to make products (read: likenesses) like this one. I'd rather wait a long time for a good statue like Aragorn, than to have a dozen PF's that just aren't up to standard.

All IMO of course, let the flaming begin!

All IMO of course, let the flaming begin!

No, I think you're right. I don't care for the likeness either. Of course, I don't really like the likenesses on any of the Star Wars or Lord of the Rings PFs up until the latest crop with Anakin and Aragorn. Luke and Obi-wan are passable, but Han and Leia look very little like the actors to me. Frodo does look like Elijah, but not in a good way, if you know what I mean. Lurtz is the only one I really like, and there's no human likeness involved.

I don't want to take away from the people who just got the piece and are excited by it, since there is a lot of good in the piece as well. I'm sure as a whole it's very cool. I'm just saying the sculpt could be better.

Back