Gandalf 12" up for order!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, so much doom and gloom around here, Until Sideshow says otherwise I'm going to assume that this line is steaming along regardless of what all the forecasters around here say:lol

As for the figure itself I'm already having second thoughts on it. Not whether I'll get Gandalf or not because I will get him, but rather if I really need Balins journal . I'll wait and see what AD's will be charging and if it's in the 60-70 dollar range then I'm jumping ship. I don't think the book is that essential, not like the elven cloaks on the others.

Indy is on the new body. Not sure about Gandalf, though.

I would assume Sideshow would like to make some kind of specific announcement re: the new 1:6 bodies before they actually mention them on particular items.

That said, I see no reason why an eventual 1:6 Gimli and Merry & Pippin should be any more than Frodo and Same. Let's at least see the rest of The Fellowship before worrying about a possible end to the line.

They've said for quite a while that developing the LotR 12" is a lot more difficult than any other line they've done. Many people said they'd pay higher prices for the LotR because of this. This guy is pretty loaded and and since the costume isn't form fitting I can't really see the need for a different body for him.

But if the price really does turn people off and he doesn't sell better than the other LotR figures I fear that this will be the last one no matter what they have in the pipeline.

new sideshow sales technique

scare them into buying it

buy this or else...:lol:lol:lol

The thing is, Sideshow don't mind cancellations because there is always 5 more people willing to pay the price and buy them. On the other hand Sideshow says a line is done and dusted if it doesn't sell well. So what is it??? They all eventually sell out, so why does a line really die???

I don't find the book that essential, so I will wait for the distributor, here, to get them in and see what discount my retailer can give me.

The new body may still be getting tweaked, so I don't expect an announcement till they have every aspect covered. Time yet before production is in full swing.

I apologize in advance for the Josh-esque type of posting. But I wanted to address some good points that Darklord Dave brought up. ;) No insult intended, Josh!:D

They've said for quite a while that developing the LotR 12" is a lot more difficult than any other line they've done. Many people said they'd pay higher prices for the LotR because of this.

I have no problem paying more just as long as the quality is there. This figure looks fantastic but with the Buck body still being utilized, it's getting difficult to justify the big price hike. I don't collect Medicom and Hot Toys figures because of the high price. I would hate to loose Sideshow to the increasing pricing as well.

This guy is pretty loaded and and since the costume isn't form fitting I can't really see the need for a different body for him..

Here is where I disagree. The Buck body is terrible for nuanced (read more natural) poses. Plus, I've gotten figures with the dreaded "locked elbows", "broken shoulders", "Loose joints", "difficult to replace hands", "can't look down", etc................

But if the price really does turn people off and he doesn't sell better than the other LotR figures I fear that this will be the last one no matter what they have in the pipeline.

I again have to disagree, my friend. Sideshow can't afford to cut loose another line before the major characters are done. It would not bode well marketing-wise. People will think twice in getting into a line if they think that Sideshow's track record in supporting the line is in doubt. I'm not saying that the line won't eventually end, but to not release the "Fellowship Nine" in this line would be pretty sad for those of us who have been waiting specifically for this line to do so.

I'm not one of those people that say, "Well, if the 12" figures continue rising in price, I'll just quit buying them and turn to PF's instead." My main collection consists of 12" figures, so once those sail to the "Unbuying Lands", I won't automatically be switching to even more expensive PF's. I'll simply end my 12" collecting and move on.

BUT if the line ends, then I'll end up buying two extra Frodo's/Sams and getting some custom headsculpts of Merry and Pippin done. Outfits will be modified as necessary. I've got the Toy Biz Gimli standing in for Sideshow's version for the time being and can live with that version in the collection. The Fellowship Nine shall LIVE!!!!!! :dance

The thing is, Sideshow don't mind cancellations because there is always 5 more people willing to pay the price and buy them. On the other hand Sideshow says a line is done and dusted if it doesn't sell well. So what is it??? They all eventually sell out, so why does a line really die???

They may eventually sell out, but that doesn't mean a figure was profitable. If they have to carry it in inventory for a long time, that eats into the profitability. And if Line A is having trouble selling 2000 of a single character and line B sells out 5000 in a couple of months - where do the development dollars get spent?

Creecher-whereabouts in Aus are u??and how much do u normally pay for a SSC 12inch??
Im in Newcastle-cheers

They may eventually sell out, but that doesn't mean a figure was profitable. If they have to carry it in inventory for a long time, that eats into the profitability. And if Line A is having trouble selling 2000 of a single character and line B sells out 5000 in a couple of months - where do the development dollars get spent?

Okay let me say it this way. If they have, say 5, people waiting to buy their stuff, dependant upon whichever line we're talking about, then why does a line die? Everything should sell out because of its limitability.

Creecher-whereabouts in Aus are u??and how much do u normally pay for a SSC 12inch??
Im in Newcastle-cheers

Im east of Melbourne. I have to say I haven't purchased many 1/6th figures in Australia for some time, because I've been on the Hot Toys boat, so I purchase them from the Asian market. I reckon my retailer knows me well, so I reckon I'll still get a great discount, usually about halfway between wholesale and retail.

I see Figuremania is now calling themselves Popcultcha. Whatever they say their price is less about A$20-A$25 roughly.

I'm with you there... might not make it for Indy but we'll see.

I used some this AM to get GTG for $8. So the two combined will probably cost me somplace near $25-30 bucks. :rock

Plus I've got another 700-800 points that will be moving over in the next month.

I will soon have over 5000 points available. Im just not sure when I should use them. Right now I could get $260 worth of stuff for that but Im just not sure what to buy with them.

I will soon have over 5000 points available. Im just not sure when I should use them. Right now I could get $260 worth of stuff for that but Im just not sure what to buy with them.

That's a lot of cheddar. Ouch! Do you have any pics of your collection? Sorry if I missed it.

That is a lot of points. I was sitting at over 3k going into today but will be down to zero after Indy.

Back