Future Superman Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artistrex

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I'm watching Superman: Doomsday with some friends last night. And we got into the discussion about wether or not that they should just pull a Highlander2 with Superman Returns and pretend it never happened. And just let hold off on any more Superman movie until Tom Welling from Smallville can take over.

Personally I liked Superman Returns, I do think they dropped the ball on a few things (Superman's a Dad) But all in all I thought it was a good movie.

Anyway with Justice league on it's way, and George Miller saying he's looking for a new Superman, and Batman my question is this...

Should Warner Bros, let Routh play Supes again? Or should they just move on and let him fall to the side like George Lazenby's James Bond?

I would like to see Routh, and Bryan Singer take another crack at the man of steel. Singer even said this time he would bring in Brainiac. Though he also was toying with Zod again but I think that would be a bad idea.

Besides who wouldn't want to see Routh and Bale as the head of a live action Justice league?

Last edited:
With the exception of the new Batman movie franchise, DC has VERY little confidence in their character movie franchises.

It has been trouble getting Superman back ON-SCREEN for years and with Superman Returns bombing, it'll be more trouble to get it back on. I do think Routh deserves another chance and I liked him as Supes but it really was the script and Singer that dragged the movie down. I remember reading a production blog from someone who worked on the film that cited that Singer did A LOT of changes to the script. For example, the Kryptonite Island was supposed to literally flood Metropolis...much more than the few "waves" that splashes on the floor. Also, Singer apparantly did not want to show much of people in harm's way or even getting hurt...which I think should've been done because obviously one of Superman's biggest weaknesses is the people he protects.

Not to mention Lex Luthor being an evil real-estate agent again...the list goes on.

Needless to say I think Routh and yes...even Singer deserve another chance. Singer definitely brought his A-game for the X-Men movies (X2 was awesome) but he needs the studio to tighten the reins on him a bit more. And oh yeah...I'd do away with the Super-kid.

I didn't think much of Superman Returns, but to be fair I've nothing against Routh and thought he did a good job as Superman. I think Superman Returns serves best as a reunion movie for all those fans who loved the 80's originals.

Warner Brothers should now reboot the franchise, make Lex cooler (more like the animated series version and less like the Gene Hackman version), bring in more comic book villains and plot lines and get rid of the Super Kid, taking us back to those early days with Clark and Lois in Metropolis.

To be fair though if Warners did go this route (and I think they should if they want to make many more sequels) they'll probably want to bring in a new leading man to front the new series, like they did with Christian Bale in the Batman Begins reboot. So Routh would probably be out.

That would be sad as he was a decent Superman, but I think it's a price worth paying to get the franchise out of the rut it's got into.

Its gotta be a clean slate, which means no Singer and no Routh.
However, Routh deserves no blame for the calamity that was 'Superman Returns'.

Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth and Superkid ruined it !!!

I still don't understand all the hate for Superman Returns. I thought it was a great movie and a nice way of bringing Superman back onto the big screen after all those years. I don't mind if Singer returns for the next movie or not, but Routh has to be back. I think he did a really nice job as Superman. But, like most people, I hope the next movie will be more action oriented and will have a "super villain" like Darkseid, Doomsday, Lobo, Brainiac, Mongul, etc. I know once everyone sees Superman in action and actually fight someone full force, the Superman franchise should be back on track.

I've said this before, but I liked SR but I had a huge problem with them clinging to the Donner mythos. I hate this interpretation of the Clark side of the character and many other aspects of it. That was find for the 80s, but we needed a newer, cooler Superman. I really like Routh, but if they continue with him I'd like them to drop Singer since he's the one that insisted on the remake rather than a reboot. And with Singer out then a doubt Routh has a chance of sticking to a new project.

Ideally I'd love to see them use the Smallville mythos - the movie would be Clark's donning the suit, Lex's commitment to evil and a truly big, earthshattering confrontation. Smallville already has Brainiac, Bizarro, Zod - so a villain team up might be the way to go and really up the budget.

But I don't see this happening. Usually a studio has it in it's head that a TV property can't translate to a feature.

I've said this before, but I liked SR but I had a huge problem with them clinging to the Donner mythos. I hate this interpretation of the Clark side of the character and many other aspects of it. That was find for the 80s, but we needed a newer, cooler Superman. I really like Routh, but if they continue with him I'd like them to drop Singer since he's the one that insisted on the remake rather than a reboot. And with Singer out then a doubt Routh has a chance of sticking to a new project.

Ideally I'd love to see them use the Smallville mythos - the movie would be Clark's donning the suit, Lex's commitment to evil and a truly big, earthshattering confrontation. Smallville already has Brainiac, Bizarro, Zod - so a villain team up might be the way to go and really up the budget.

But I don't see this happening. Usually a studio has it in it's head that a TV property can't translate to a feature.

I remember Roger Ebert saying that pretty much the entire plot for SR was already in the 77 STM, I don't want to see the same movie again. If they brought in ZOD, it would be a horrible ripoff of S2. Honestly, I had no problem with Singer directing the movie, just get new scribes to get a truly original idea that has not been made into a previous superman film.

BTW...I thought Superman: Doomsday was horrible, saw it at SDCC and just rewatched it, it was just as bad now as it was then.

My only real beef with Superman : Doomsday is the fact it's only one movie. I am still waiting for the big trilogy of the death, world without, and return of superman. But seeing how it's been 13 years since the comics came out I think that it's a little late to go back now. They can still take the plot of Superman Returns and run with it. It would be a little weak but once people start seeing Superman and one of his Rivals Destroy each other and Metropolis They come flocking back to the films. As for his kid (ugh) Even that could work. Bring in Conduit, he has a grudge against Clark, he could use his son as fodder. Just a thought.

I hated Superman Returns I think it hurt the franchise for now. At least get rid of singer. The effects were good but the story and the baby, then Lex gets out of prison becuase the star witness (superman) is missing, complete garbage.

The best thing Superman has is Smallville. I like Smallville more then any of the movies, great show.

So I'm watching Superman: Doomsday with some friends last night. And we got into the discussion about wether or not that they should just pull a Highlander2 with Superman Returns and pretend it never happened. And just let hold off on any more Superman movie until Tom Welling from Smallville can take over.

Welling has said multiple times he has no interest in playing Superman. He mentioned during the Wellingites pull for him in SR that even if it weren't a scheduling conflict he doesn't want to do it. Whether or not that is still the case who knows but with the WB's quick casting of the Flash in Justice League for example and not using any of the Smallville actors to simply make the leap from small screen to big screen shows that they have no problem with keeping that continuity to itself.

Personally I liked Superman Returns, I do think they dropped the ball on a few things (Superman's a Dad) But all in all I thought it was a good movie.

It was a natural progression to an unanswered question in Superman II. It wasn't a problem with that line of thinking it was a problem with Singer treating the Donner era like Dogma instead of looking towards the future of a new franchise.

Anyway with Justice league on it's way, and George Miller saying he's looking for a new Superman, and Batman my question is this...

He was looking for one anyway, he want a really young cast that could essentially be locked into a franchise and hold the title characters for a while and "grow" into their roles....He wasn't even considered even Bale who was wildly successful in the Batman reboot.

Should Warner Bros, let Routh play Supes again? Or should they just move on and let him fall to the side like George Lazenby's James Bond?

Routh is the only real saving grace to Superman Returns he played Clark and Superman beautifully with a great nod to Reeve but still playing it youthful enough and enough like himself to really show he was made for the role. He should absolutely be allowed to play Superman again.

I would like to see Routh, and Bryan Singer take another crack at the man of steel. Singer even said this time he would bring in Brainiac. Though he also was toying with Zod again but I think that would be a bad idea.

I think Singer is a hack. Other than that he is too in love with the Donner era to be effective, if he were allowed to make Man of Steel it'd be another bomb I'm sure. Even he admitted while he wasn't disappointed with SR he needs more action in those movies, the same thing happened to a more severe degree with "The Hulk". He needs to be thrown away and never looked back on.

Besides who wouldn't want to see Routh and Bale as the head of a live action Justice league?

It will never happen, while Bale is only optioned for one more film, he has said he is willing to do more, Nolan is the real question, but WB will definitely keep signing Bale to singular Batman films before optioning one of his films to be in a Justice League film. Anyway with Miller's Justice League coming out if it bombs it'll be a looooong time before another collaborative film will be attempted again.

Another Supes film needs to be done with a different director and writer but keeping Routh (who is still signed for two more films) and looking past SR. If they used a villain to kill Jason it'd undo SR and still continue down the line...its a viable story option.

If SR is rebooted completely don't look from another Superman film for another 5-6 years....WB will want the Superman film to fade from the crowd's memory before going that route again. Batman and Superman are their tentpoles with one succeeding and one failing its critical time for them. They don't have a ton of Comic "successes" like Marvel does at this point to play around with reboots and lesser characters.

Another Supes film needs to be done with a different director and writer but keeping Routh (who is still signed for two more films) and looking past SR. If they used a villain to kill Jason it'd undo SR and still continue down the line...its a viable story option.

If SR is rebooted completely don't look from another Superman film for another 5-6 years....WB will want the Superman film to fade from the crowd's memory before going that route again. Batman and Superman are their tentpoles with one succeeding and one failing its critical time for them. They don't have a ton of Comic "successes" like Marvel does at this point to play around with reboots and lesser characters.

I agree that they need to keep Routh or else this reboot is pretty much dead and a new one won't happen until 2015 or something. The other option is that rumor that was flying around about dumping Routh for the unknown playing Supes in JLA but thanks to the strike and its weak script, that movie looks to be dead.

Personally I liked SR. I don't mind it being a sequel to Superman II at all. I thought the only thing wrong with it was the pacing and the lack of an act three brawl to keep the action fans happy. I thought the movie worked for what it set out to do, but that it didn't set out to be an action movie.

The JL movie already has cast a new and younger Superman and Batman.

Singer is pretty much out of a Superman sequel but Routh will be back after being rumored to be out as well.

I'm glad that Singer won't be with the new Superman. AT was trash IMO. Routh was decent and should get another chance. The writing definitely needs to improve though.

Question: Did Dc have any say as to how the script went, or was is simply up to Warner and Singer? I ask because I'm sure that anyone in editorial would of nixed both the Luthor real estate plan, and the whole Superman junior thing. Another thing that would of been shelved is the Lois Lane finds another guy thing. In the entire history of Superman, Lois would never forget about the Man of Steel and find some one else. How many story lines have there been when Superman is away from earth for long periods only to come back to lois. That's the dychotomy of her character. Here's this strong independant woman in a world of ordinary men who falls for the only man that is better than all the rest.

I believe that DC also has a person in charge of handling the film aspect like Marvel had with Ari but I believe the film rights are controlled in majority by WB.

bring in chris nolan to do the superman sequel. and no Zod! as much as I love him, i already saw him in Superman 2.

i really enjoyed Superman Returns, but i also recognize that it could be a lot better. Brainiac or Doomsday!

bring in chris nolan to do the superman sequel. and no Zod! as much as I love him, i already saw him in Superman 2.

i really enjoyed Superman Returns, but i also recognize that it could be a lot better. Brainiac or Doomsday!

metallo could be fun. so could parasite. I'd rather not see doomsday, since he really doesnt have much of a personality

Back