Furystorm's Sanctum Sanctorum (aka my office)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furystorm

Super Freak
Reaction score
After much consternation and deliberation, I finally took the plunge and began construction on my Sanctum Sanctorum. You know, my office where I put all my collection stuff.

After seeing Minmay's Besta shelving unit, used for Premium Format figures and the like, on this forum last week, I had a fever designing session last Sunday night and came up with an Ikea solution I thought would work for me. My office formerly housed my massive comic book collection, of over 10,000 individual issues, which I am now systematically auctioning off because I want to reclaim my space for Sideshow dioramas, the impending G.I. Joe 1/6 collection, other Alien items, and shelf space for hardcover graphic novels, signed or otherwise. I feel like I collect too much stuff, but definately not as much as some.

I wanted to share my initial attempts at converting my office into my Sanctum Sanctorum. Kind of cheesy, but I could not get that term out of my head while designing, transporting, and assembling my new shelving. The closest Ikea to me is 3 1/2 hours away in Los Angeles, at top speed. I have a 2008 2 door VW Rabbit, and you might not believe what I fit into it for this trip. My final design included five seperate cabinets, seven large boxes for those, and twelve glass doors, so twelve more boxes, for a total of 19 boxes in all. I've got to tell you, if there was one more box, it would not have fit. I regret not taking pictures of my hatchback filled from the floor to the ceiling. As a sidenote, I initially packed them in poorly, proceeded to pull onto the highway, and the top boxes began to come over into the driver's seat area and crush me. I decided to pull off after only two exits and pull most of the top packages back out and repack them in a more stable manner. The trip was fine after that, but believe me, there was only room for me in there with all the boxes.

So, I spent one whole day going to aquire the new shelving units, and the next whole day, and a subsequent sick day, getting them all put together. They are by no means finished, but I think they are looking mighty spiffy! I am very pleased with the outcome. I'm only waiting on one pair of legs to complete the setup (my own oversight) and may add some of the specially created bookends when I get down to San Diego for next years Comic-Con.

So here is my progress:

watermark.php

watermark.php

Thanks for looking!

Update with more of my very humble collection on the shelves:

The whole right side setup:

watermark.php

My pride and joy, signed by H.R. Giger, #135/500 (not $1000, got a deal from Toyrocket)

watermark.php

Alien & Alien3 Dioramas:

watermark.php

Aliens & Alien: Resurrection Dioramas:

watermark.php

All of my Palisades Aliens, I still want the full sized Space Jockey:

watermark.php

The only Hot Toys Alien to survive a recent purge, I like him, but the feet are aweful:

watermark.php

My Grendels (I wish Sideshow could make a Hunter Rose statue):

watermark.php

One of the main reasons for this setup with the frosted glass at the bottom. I can hide all of my graphic novels, trade paperbacks, signed hardcovers, and my new obsession of high end signed art books of which I currently only have the limited copy of Tori Amos' Comic Book Tattoo and the signed by Ralph Mcquarrie, Art of Ralph Mcquarrie book, which is huge and beautiful. Thank you Dreams & Visions Press!

watermark.php

More to come, like the SS Excluisive Predator Diorama, on its way right now!
Oh, and still waiting on my last set of legs for the right side too.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty damn sweet setup you have there, its always worth the effort when Ikeas involved, once there you never have to worry about not finding something suitable.

Looks great, now fill them damn things up! :D

Me likey, you need some of the ikea strip lights the led ones, twould set them of beautifully

Was going to get the lights, but with the number I needed, to fill each transparent shelf, the cost would have been another $700 or so. So I put off on installing the lighting for now, and kind of like the predominantely Alien collection sort of emerging from the darkness. The look varies throughout the day.

My most logical solution is to install directional type of lighting in place of my one static centered light fixture in the room. That way I can direct light onto each of the shelves and hopefully avoid too much reflection. There is a lot of reflection with natural daylight though.

Like I said, there is work to be done on this setup, not the least of which is filling the shelves up!

:horror

Those are some mighty fine shelves and I see that you have the signed Giger Alien head. Wow. Congrats!

Honestly, you could probably just get some cheap LED or fluorescent lights at Big Lots or Wal-Mart for each shelf. Probably wouldn't run you more than $100, if that. Yeah, kid and make fun, but they're cheap, they work, and they look fine. :D

More pics of the Alien please main. I really would like to see some good pics of him. The one under the ALIEN Giger head.

Awesome collection too main!

looking nice. way to start out . as for the lights if you have a Lowe's around try and get a discount on some that have the packaging beat up. also if you can find out when they do their inventory you can get good deals on "non-stock" items. keep the update pics comming.

Looking good. Very nice choice on shelves. Can't wait to see more updated pictures with all your stuff in it.

Beautiful. What are the specific names of the shelves you bought?

The trip to Ikea is most worth it. Very neat & nice office, you gonna to a repaint of the wall?

Also a little request when you take more photos of your room can you post a picture of the Ralph Mcquarrie book please. Thanks!

My newest addition today! I was finally able to pick up this and one other SS item at UPS today after chasing them around for two days last week. I've asked SS to send everything to me by FedEx from now on. I just can't take the headache of UPS anymore.

watermark.php

watermark.php

My photography skills are poorly lacking, but I wanted to update my shelf thread with the latest. Since this exclusive converted for me I have also decided to keep the P2 exclusive as well when it comes in December. These are very nice, with a lot of great detail for the size and price. I love these dioramas!

I'm having the same problem with getting the turret all the way down that I have seen others on this board mention. And I did just notice a small chip in the polystone on some of his shoulder gear, but I think I can live with it.

:D

I'm having the same problem with getting the turret all the way down that I have seen others on this board mention. And I did just notice a small chip in the polystone on some of his shoulder gear, but I think I can live with it.

:D

I just trimmed the length of the peg and then used a file to reduce the the sides of the peg a bit. I don't know what to suggest for the small chip, but alot of people here are professional fixers and if you post a close up of the area I'm sure members here will try to help you out. You shouldn't have to live with it. :)

Back