FRODO'S UP!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the "adjusted again" picture on page 13 a lot better! I really wish the hair looked something like that. I'd be really happy with the statue if it looked like that. :D

jlcmsu said:
Lots of possible crow out there. ;)

The heck, man?

You have problems if you get your jollies out of seeing people unhappy because they miss out on something, whatever the reason may be.

So what if, best case scenario, you "told them so"? :rolleyes:

Can't you just accept the fact that for a good deal of collectors, THIS:

https://www.rebelscum.com/TF2006/tf06-SSCother/image25.asp

is just unacceptable for $250?

Maybe these will do fine if the ES are kept ultra-low, but let me tell you that if Frodo is indicative of all that SS is going to bring to the table for the human PF figures, then they're in trouble.

Even if the likenesses for the 12" figures aren't all that great (which they are, so far) they're going to encounter some serious competing with themselves when people notice that not only can you get at least four 12" for the same amount of cash as a single PF, you get a bunch of accessories, can pose them how you like, and they take up less space.

The die-hard, fanatic LotR collectors will go with the PFs, but I will be very surprised if we ever get the whole Fellowship in PF, or all the hobbits, or whatever situation existing in which Frodo becomes the "hole" in the set, which is the ONLY likely scenario I see in which people who passed on the (currently) mediocre Frodo now would be scrambling for him on the secondary market after the fact.

Also remember that a lot of collectors come late to the game because they're unaware the line or pieces exist. Laughing at those who miss out is to laugh at these people also, and that kind of elitism is pretty lame, IMO.

Some people like it, that's fine. Others don't, that's fine. Some who don't like it now, might like it later and that's as fine as those who buy it and don't like it once they have it.

But "You guys are gonna be SO-RRYYYYYYY!" especially when totally unfounded at this point = Immature.

And on a personal side-note, unless SS has some PFs offerings forthcoming that will blow people away, in retrospect I wonder if SS maybe should have done a more "artist interpretation" style line with the PFs, like Dr. Doom from the Marvel line or whatever.

With the SS/W statues and busts, and the quality of the 12" figures, making "signature" versions of the characters in PF becomes that much more difficult.

Morris - DAMN you man! :D The "adjusted" pics you've shown have convinced me to order Senor Baggins. I can fix the paint, and I can get the hair added to finish it up.

Thanx for the showing what could be, and giving Lurtz a companion!

Ahhhh, if only we all had your skills Rick! Try as I might I just can't bring myself to like this piece. The "adjusted" pics do look much better though.

Morris Fletcher said:
You have problems if you get your jollies out of seeing people unhappy because they miss out on something, whatever the reason may be.

I never said I was/would be happy if someone missed out. I never said that.

Morris Fletcher said:
So what if, best case scenario, you "told them so"? :rolleyes:

No it's not that but I know there will be several members "if" this gets a LOW ES running to whoever has it to get it. Why? They will either want to make a couple $$$ off of it or be bitching because they missed out. I don't need to say I told you so or get any enjoyment out of it. I've got mine coming and that's all I care about.

Morris Fletcher said:
Can't you just accept the fact that for a good deal of collectors, THIS:

https://www.rebelscum.com/TF2006/tf06-SSCother/image25.asp

is just unacceptable for $250?

I don't think a good deal of collectors feal this way. Just because I've seen a few on some boards doesn't mean everyone feels this way. I've seen lots of folks as well that like it and are getting it so. It goes under if you don't like it don't buy it.

Morris Fletcher said:
Maybe these will do fine if the ES are kept ultra-low, but let me tell you that if Frodo is indicative of all that SS is going to bring to the table for the human PF figures, then they're in trouble.

Really? Dude I can't say I agree. If this is what SS is going to bring to the line then they will be just fine. This is a great looking item and will do fantastic. There are enough collectors out there that will buy these and make the line a success.

Morris Fletcher said:
Even if the likenesses for the 12" figures aren't all that great (which they are, so far) they're going to encounter some serious competing with themselves when people notice that not only can you get at least four 12" for the same amount of cash as a single PF, you get a bunch of accessories, can pose them how you like, and they take up less space.

I agree people will have to figure out where they want to spend there money. Which is totally smart financially speaking of course. There are several collectors here that prefer 1/4 over 12" so they like statues more than figures. Me personally I'm getting the Fellowship in both which I know will be done at somepoint.

Morris Fletcher said:
The die-hard, fanatic LotR collectors will go with the PFs, but I will be very surprised if we ever get the whole Fellowship in PF, or all the hobbits, or whatever situation existing in which Frodo becomes the "hole" in the set, which is the ONLY likely scenario I see in which people who passed on the (currently) mediocre Frodo now would be scrambling for him on the secondary market after the fact.

I think LOTR collectors will go with what they can afford. I don't think if you choose to collect PF over 12" it makes you a die-hard, elitist, etc. You buy what you can afford plain and simple. Like I said above I have no doubts we will see the Fellowship in both formats. I just feel that way. Frodo looks great and will do fine as will all the other PF pieces and 12" pieces. Coming out and saying you think it's mediocre and that's why they won't do all of them is simply abusrd IMO.

Morris Fletcher said:
Also remember that a lot of collectors come late to the game because they're unaware the line or pieces exist. Laughing at those who miss out is to laugh at these people also, and that kind of elitism is pretty lame, IMO.

Again, I'm not laughing at anyone. I just know that "if" he comes out with a low ES and starts selling like a madman then a lot of those that disliked it an called it mediocre will be scambling to get it so they can say they have it. For those coming late into the game I say grab it now and don't kick yourself later. That's not being elitist or anything of that nature that's just using common sense.

Morris Fletcher said:
Some people like it, that's fine. Others don't, that's fine. Some who don't like it now, might like it later and that's as fine as those who buy it and don't like it once they have it.

Exactly! Don't like it don't buy it. Like it buy it. Pretty damn simple if you ask me. The funny thing is all of you that don't like it seem to think "we" that do like it are just plain nuts for doing so.

Morris Fletcher said:
But "You guys are gonna be SO-RRYYYYYYY!" especially when totally unfounded at this point = Immature.

Well, back at ya for saying this line would/will fail because you and a few others don't like Frodo. I'm not saying you'll be sorry anyway I'm saying get it and wait and don't be sorry for missing such a great piece. If that's imature then ok. :D

Morris Fletcher said:
And on a personal side-note, unless SS has some PFs offerings forthcoming that will blow people away, in retrospect I wonder if SS maybe should have done a more "artist interpretation" style line with the PFs, like Dr. Doom from the Marvel line or whatever.

Frodo looks great. Lurtz looks great. This line will be fine. :rolleyes:

Morris Fletcher said:
With the SS/W statues and busts, and the quality of the 12" figures, making "signature" versions of the characters in PF becomes that much more difficult.

Each line will be fine. No need to worry. :D

Morris Fletcher said:

are we sure that SS ISN'T doing artist interpretations of the humans? possibly making the non humans accurate since they've already been "fictionalized" and given the fantasy treatment? maybe they're going for an all encompassing gereric look that embodies the essence of the character, because if not...

jlcmsu said:
No it's not that but I know there will be several members "if" this gets a LOW ES running to whoever has it to get it. Why? They will either want to make a couple $$$ off of it or be bitching because they missed out. I don't need to say I told you so or get any enjoyment out of it. I've got mine coming and that's all I care about.

With some of the comments and smilies I've seen you post, you come across as otherwise. If "all you care about" is really getting the piece and enjoying it, you would never bother posting about people having to eat crow if Frodo sells out and now they suddenly want it. Who cares?

I don't think a good deal of collectors feal this way. Just because I've seen a few on some boards doesn't mean everyone feels this way. I've seen lots of folks as well that like it and are getting it so. It goes under if you don't like it don't buy it.

Judging from reaction in general, it has been more negative than positive. Not overwhelmingly so, but even from some fans who pre-ordered or say they'll get it, there have been comments like "It's not that great but good enough."

I think LOTR collectors will go with what they can afford. I don't think if you choose to collect PF over 12" it makes you a die-hard, elitist, etc.

If you collect the PF, you're already spending $600 + taxes/shipping, etc. On TWO characters.

That is NO small chunk of change, and ANYONE who isn't a member of a forum like this one would consider you quite the die-hard fan for spending that much money on "dolls".

Like I said above I have no doubts we will see the Fellowship in both formats. I just feel that way. Frodo looks great and will do fine as will all the other PF pieces and 12" pieces. Coming out and saying you think it's mediocre and that's why they won't do all of them is simply abusrd IMO.

Just trying to be realistic. Unless ES is kept really really low, or unless the likeness representation improves, then I don't see how the Fellowship will happen unless it's the next 8 after Frodo bam-bam-bam, which is even less likely considering most collectors who drop that kind of coin want the Ringwraiths and the more "badass" characters.

Again, I'm not laughing at anyone. I just know that "if" he comes out with a low ES and starts selling like a madman then a lot of those that disliked it an called it mediocre will be scambling to get it so they can say they have it.

OR . . . alternate scenario, he could come out exactly as seen in the TF pictures, and with too high of an ES, and can be found on eBay for $50. Who knows?

But "so they can say they have it"?? I don't get it. Like, bragging rights? If so, that's beyond embarrassing.

For those coming late into the game I say grab it now and don't kick yourself later. That's not being elitist or anything of that nature that's just using common sense.

I'm talking about people who come late, as in, a year or so from now. Collectors who are unaware these pieces even exist right now. You know, not every LotR fan in the world is sitting at the computer counting down the seconds until these things go on pre-order. ;)

The funny thing is all of you that don't like it seem to think "we" that do like it are just plain nuts for doing so.

No, not nuts. Maybe just different standards I guess, or less disposable income.

For my part, the criticism is merely out of concern for the products. I don't think ANYONE here WANTS these to be bad pieces. As fans of both LotR AND Sideshow, we want these to be the best they can be because we have personal stake in seeing Sideshow continue, and improve, their standards of excellence, and seeing our favorite characters and actors accurately represented.

I'm sure there are some losers out there who look for any opportunity to get on their high horse and feel like "My all-seeing eye can detect even the most MINUTE flaw!! I see ALL!! Muuahahahahahah!!!" But I really don't see many of those around here anyway.

Well, back at ya for saying this line would/will fail because you and a few others don't like Frodo.

Not saying it will fail. I just don't see the entire Fellowship in PF as a sure thing right now. If that is what you consider failure . . .

We'll see how sales do, and we'll see what the PF after Frodo will be. For all I know, Frodo is the only misstep.

Morris Fletcher said:
With some of the comments and smilies I've seen you post, you come across as otherwise. If "all you care about" is really getting the piece and enjoying it, you would never bother posting about people having to eat crow if Frodo sells out and now they suddenly want it. Who cares?

So I can't comment that I think that there might be some crow eaten if this comes out with a really low ES and everyone then loves it and scambles for it? I don't care but I'm just simply commenting there is a difference

Morris Fletcher said:
Judging from reaction in general, it has been more negative than positive. Not overwhelmingly so, but even from some fans who pre-ordered or say they'll get it, there have been comments like "It's not that great but good enough."

There has been several posts with a negative reaction but its been a lot of the same people over and over again.

Morris Fletcher said:
If you collect the PF, you're already spending $600 + taxes/shipping, etc. On TWO characters.

Yeah, that's a lot of money but doesn't make you a die-hard IMO.

Morris Fletcher said:
That is NO small chunk of change, and ANYONE who isn't a member of a forum like this one would consider you quite the die-hard fan for spending that much money on "dolls".

Your right they would. I don't think anyone on the boards does because there are people that go even nuttier than that.

Morris Fletcher said:
Just trying to be realistic. Unless ES is kept really really low, or unless the likeness representation improves, then I don't see how the Fellowship will happen unless it's the next 8 after Frodo bam-bam-bam, which is even less likely considering most collectors who drop that kind of coin want the Ringwraiths and the more "badass" characters.

I think your so wrong it's not even funny. Frodo looks fine as will the other humans. The Fellowship will be done and many more will come. SS would get raked over the coals if they did this line and didn't do the Fellowship. The only way they won't get done is if they decide to drop the license.

Morris Fletcher said:
OR . . . alternate scenario, he could come out exactly as seen in the TF pictures, and with too high of an ES, and can be found on eBay for $50. Who knows?

I hope he does come out like what we've seen at TF. I think he looks great and think he looks a little crappier with some of the photo shopping that's been done. If he is found cheaper great for those that can get a awesome piece for a steal of a deal.

Morris Fletcher said:
But "so they can say they have it"?? I don't get it. Like, bragging rights? If so, that's beyond embarrassing.

There are plenty of folks who have that attitude.

Morris Fletcher said:
I'm talking about people who come late, as in, a year or so from now. Collectors who are unaware these pieces even exist right now. You know, not every LotR fan in the world is sitting at the computer counting down the seconds until these things go on pre-order. ;)

Well, those piece just like those of us who came into the SSW game late will have to pay either higher prices on some or get steals like on some of the latter SSW pieces.

Morris Fletcher said:
No, not nuts. Maybe just different standards I guess, or less disposable income.

So your saying my standards aren't as high as yours or others then? That's pretty arrogant IMO. My standards are as high as anyone on this board but I feel this piece meets those. I'm sorry there are folks that don't agree but that's how it goes.

Morris Fletcher said:
For my part, the criticism is merely out of concern for the products. I don't think ANYONE here WANTS these to be bad pieces. As fans of both LotR AND Sideshow, we want these to be the best they can be because we have personal stake in seeing Sideshow continue, and improve, their standards of excellence, and seeing our favorite characters and actors accurately represented.

That's cool but just because a few say it's a bad piece doesn't make it so. As much as me saying it's a good piece doesn't make it so. It's all up to the individual to decide.

Morris Fletcher said:
I'm sure there are some losers out there who look for any opportunity to get on their high horse and feel like "My all-seeing eye can detect even the most MINUTE flaw!! I see ALL!! Muuahahahahahah!!!" But I really don't see many of those around here anyway.

Don't kid yourself there are SEVERAL here.

Morris Fletcher said:
Not saying it will fail. I just don't see the entire Fellowship in PF as a sure thing right now. If that is what you consider failure . . .

Well, if you'd like to bet some $$ that's a bet I'd take for sure.

Morris Fletcher said:
We'll see how sales do, and we'll see what the PF after Frodo will be. For all I know, Frodo is the only misstep.

The line will be fine. Frodo is fine. :D

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to respond to every part again, but I feel it's going nowhere and I don't want to clutter the thread anymore.

I'll only respond to this:

jlcmsu said:
So your saying my standards aren't as high as yours or others then? That's pretty arrogant IMO. My standards are as high as anyone on this board but I feel this piece meets those. I'm sorry there are folks that don't agree but that's how it goes.

Ah, I said "different" standards, but you read higher . . . whatever.

My point is, some people want him to look EXACTLY like Elijah Wood. Others think Elijah Wood was wrong for the role, so having him resemble him slightly is fine so it's accurate to the films, but no lost love if it's not a spitting image. Others prefer he look more like their mental picture of Frodo derived from Tolkien. Others want a combination, or degrees between, or something else entirely. Different. Standards.

But obviously, two people who look at the exact same photo of the exact same piece and come away with totally different opinions aren't going to be able to see eye to eye. Which is fine!

I honestly hope Frodo sells out fast as hell. I'm not buying one, but I do hope he does well. :D

And yes . . . Photoshop is fun. :joy :wacky :naughty

Nah it's cool. It was a fun little conversation. I didn't take anything personally and I hope you didn't either. As I like to say it's all good. :)

When we did the poll about nameplates it was fairly equally divided between liking and not liking them with a big majority not caring as long as it was consistant from figure to figure.

Personally I like the nameplate myself.

Darklord Dave said:
When we did the poll about nameplates it was fairly equally divided between liking and not liking them with a big majority not caring as long as it was consistant from figure to figure.

Personally I like the nameplate myself.

I refuse to acknowledge any opinion that differs from mine. :p

Mediocre... maybe I was spoiled by Lurtz. Sideshow you can still do something about this.

A lot of energy has been spent discussing the likenes of the sculpt, but even critics have to admit that the costume is incredible. I wish there were more close-ups but the layering and the leather look awesome.

I also LOVE the dwarf skull and helmet. I think these pieces are always a lot better with a little "darkness" thrown in.

Put me down as liking the name plate... I would even have liked it if they added the name of the sculptor and costumer down in the corner. I like going for the "museum" type look.

Back