Frankenstein Mini Bust face repaint - Post #16

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerh

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi All -

Trying to get some practice painting heads... Im just using 12" Hasbro figures to practice on...

Now - I freely admit I dont know what I am doing.... But here is where I am with this figure -

I would love any tips and critique - ALso, would LOVE tips on how to get a good pic.. THis photo makes the lights brighter and the darks darker - So the tonal range is really crippled...

Thanks everyone!

Tyler

photo (13).jpg

Re: Head Painting Practice - Han Solo

I'm no painting expert, and as you said the photo makes it alittle hard to judge, but I think it looks pretty good! You just need a better camera and a better canvas!

I would suggest having a photo of the actor your painting in front of you. It will help with the colors and details.

Im really bad at mixing paints to match skin tones - And I also have a hard time figuring out what areas are more red, blue, etc...

Been watching a lot of video tutorials and reading all I can find here

Takes practice. Keep at it. Seeing tonal and hue changes in the skin are tricky.
A trick I tell my students when trying to see the highlights and shadows is squint. It softens the details and makes it easier to see the variations.

Keep painting, I laugh at my first paint-ups.

So - I toned down the harsh highlights and lowlights with a few thinned down washed of skin tone, and added some "color" to his face (He looked like he had too much foundation on!)

better camera, too!!!

I realize the base sculpt isnt great, but this was just a painting exercise - I learned a ton and on the next one I definately have things to focus on more - And I also know I need a few more fine point brushes!!

han.jpg

Looks good man, my only critique would be to see if you can get the pupils and irises alittle cleaner looking

Definitely an improvement from the last pic though

THanks!! Ya the finer point paintbrushes will help that a lot I think!

Been working on this a little bit at a time - What started as a head repaint is becoming a full on project :) I dyed the coat a bit darker, and painted the boots (Which I liked at first but now I think they could be better....

Really happy with how its shaping up though!

photo (2).JPG

Re: 1997 Hasbro 12" Han Solo Hoth Repaint

Looking better. The only way to get great is to start somewhere.

Nobody starts off at their best. The second photo already shows your chops getting better so just keep painting.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Painting humans has never been my strong point....

Here is where I am calling it "Done" ... This was just supposed to be skin practice, so Im going to stop here and go onto the next victim...
photo2.JPG

And a little before / after....
beforeAfter.jpg

TOnight I did a face repaint of the SIdeshow DRACULA mini-Bust - From the set that was included with the Universal Monsters DVDs!

I always thought Dracula should be more pale.. so I started there - -

One the left is before, on the right is after!

What do you think? This went much faster (and I think better) than the Han.... (I still have to fix the hair line a little..)

bela.jpg

looks loads better - nice job :) the skin looks great - a deathly pallor is a deathly pallor so i think it looks fantastic :)

^o^ ^o^ ^o^ (bats)

TOnight I did a face repaint of the SIdeshow DRACULA mini-Bust - From the set that was included with the Universal Monsters DVDs!

I always thought Dracula should be more pale.. so I started there - -

One the left is before, on the right is after!

What do you think? This went much faster (and I think better) than the Han.... (I still have to fix the hair line a little..)

View attachment 117454

Last edited:
Re: Dracula Mini Bust (Lugosi) face repaint - Post #14

Repaint of the Frankenstein mini bust from the same set as the Dracula above :)

frank.jpg

Back