Fortress of Solitude styled caves found in Mexico

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
return-crystal-caves-27_27283_600x450.jpg

It looks like Superman's Fortress of Solitude and is nearly as hard to get into, but that hasn't stopped explorers from uncovering new secrets in and around Mexico's deep, deadly hot Cave of Crystals.

Outfitted with ice-cooled suits, teams have found biological mysteries, parallels with other planets, and the "Ice Palace," an unexplored cavern lined with rare crystal formations—and just in time too. Parts of the complex may soon be returned to their natural, submerged states.

LINK -Mexican Crystal Caves

thats pretty amazing, hard to believe there are places like that that are still undiscovered

That is amazing! Reminds me a little of a scene in the movie the Core

The extreme humidity and heat mean your lungs would act like a cold soda can and begin to condense water as you breath. Stay in there long enough and you die of heat stroke or your lungs fill with fluid. Even with special suits geologists are only able to stay in there for 30 minutes, limiting their ability to explore them.

The caves are attached to privately owned silver mines and were discovered by accident. the crystals are gypsum (not a rare mineral) so the mine owners see no financial incentive to maintain the caves. Some day when the silver mine no longer produces, the mine will be shut down, and along with it the water pumps that make this cave accessible.

Back