Forrest Ackerman very ill

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winter

Super Freak
Reaction score
From aintitcool news Forrest Ackerman, founder of the great magazine FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND, is very ill. His address is listed at the bottom, to send your well wishes...
https://www.aintitcool.com/node/38960

Forrest J Ackerman is slipping away...

Hey folks, Harry here... I spoke briefly with Forrest J Ackerman earlier today, he wasn't sounding very strong, it hurt to hear his voice knowing that it wouldn't be here with us much longer. But at the same time, it was nice to say goodbye to one another.

Ackerman is one of the founders of my love of cinema. My father is the geek he is, because of his magazine - and I'm the geek I am because of his magazine as well as the influence it had on my father. That magazine was, of course, FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND. In speaking with Uncle Forry's caretaker, an amazing gentleman named Joe Moe, I was told that Forry was lucid, peaceful and not even on pain medication, but that he was progressively getting worse - and was ready to move on. However, he was wanting to say his goodbyes to as many of his neice and nephews that he has created in his almost 92 years on this Earth. His 92nd Birthday is this November 22nd.

Many friends of Forry have visited his bedside, hearing one last story, one last pun and to say one last goodbye. Ray Bradbury even flew to his bedside. We here at AICN are preparing a fitting memorial - and something, most likely, permanent to AICN. In the meanwhile - there is a chance for you to say your final goodbye, here's how...

I talked to Joe Moe, Forry's caregiver and best friend. He told me to spread the word about Forry. Forry is leaving us quickly. If youre going to write or call, do it now before it's too late. He's in good spirits and not in any pain or taking any meds. He did not have any heart attack or stroke. He is home resting comfortably, but his body is starting to shut down and he's sleeping alot now, hes very weak.
Even if you do what I did, just write "I love you" on a piece of paper and mail it, please do something if he touched your life in some way................joey OBrien

FORREST J ACKERMAN
4511 Russell Avenue
Los Angeles, CA

Forry made me the girl geek I am today, his Famous Monsters of Filmland was a staple of my misbegotten youth.

I wish there was a faster way to send my regardless and loving thoughts.
Regular mail is to slow.

Forry made me the girl geek I am today, his Famous Monsters of Filmland was a staple of my misbegotten youth.

I wish there was a faster way to send my regardless and loving thoughts.
Regular mail is to slow.

Global Priority will get there in about 2 days.

This is so sad but not unexpected. Forry will never know how many he has inspired or touched. A great man who I had the privilege of meeting at a show once. You're in our thoughts Forry.

:lecture

He's a true historian when it comes to horror and sci-fi. I've always wanted to meet him.

Me too. I remember watching a show about him as a kid and he always seemed like an interesting person...

This is sad news. God Bless ya, Forry. May you go in peace and free from pain...

:lecture

He's a true historian when it comes to horror and sci-fi. I've always wanted to meet him.

I was lucky enough to get to meet him, talk to him and get some things signed at his auction in New York back in the 80's! Man, the item I wanted the most was the effects dummy of the Frankenstein Monster that was created for Bride of Frankenstein! The head was a fantastic replica, with the arms and legs being wood planks under the suit.

I was lucky enough to get to meet him, talk to him and get some things signed at his auction in New York back in the 80's!

Is it too much hope that you have a pic of the signed items? That would be sooo cool to see. Yeah, I'm pretty bummed. Great magazine that brings back so many memories, including an old glow-in-dark Frankenstein and Godzilla I think I ordered through the magazine.

Is it too much hope that you have a pic of the signed items? That would be sooo cool to see. Yeah, I'm pretty bummed. Great magazine that brings back so many memories, including an old glow-in-dark Frankenstein and Godzilla I think I ordered through the magazine.

Unfortunately, they are packed up back at my Mother's house in KY (I'm currently in TX). During that time period my job required me to travel around the country a lot, so stuff got boxed off and dropped off at home as I traveled from one city to another. I hope to retrieve it all in the spring and finally have a chance to go through it and sort it out.

I was lucky enough to get to meet him, talk to him and get some things signed at his auction in New York back in the 80's! Man, the item I wanted the most was the effects dummy of the Frankenstein Monster that was created for Bride of Frankenstein! The head was a fantastic replica, with the arms and legs being wood planks under the suit.

That's pretty cool, Lonnie.

It's a good thing we have people like Forry and Bob Burns who have preserved so much movie history.

May God Bless you Forrest Ackerman & your family. Sir you are a God when it comes Classic Horror & Si-Fi. Thank you for Famous Monsters Of Filmland. Those are Awesome!!!!!!!!! I would LOVE to own every issue in Hardback Books someday!!!!!!!!!! Keep fighting the good fight Forrest & know that your Family & Your Monster loving friends love you & are thinking of you.

God Bless you Forrest!!!!!!!!!!

The Monster

Nick

I was privileged to meet and briefly chat with Unca Forry on three occasions.

I'll always remember my wide-eyed, nearly non-comprehending discovery of Famous Monsters of Filmland #1. It was a Sunday ritual that, after church, my Dad would take my brother and I to Ben's Candy Store and Soda Shoppe in Queens, NY, to splurge our $1.00 weekly allowance on comic books, model kits, and candy. (Yes. A dollar went a looonnnnng way in the late fifties! Our dad would spring for the malts!)

And there it was, like a glowing beacon among all the other titles on Ben's spinner-racks of comics and magazines, FM #1. To this day, I'm still not certain If my 9-year old self was more mesmerized by that stark red cover depicting a very dapper, ascotted Frankenstein's Monster, or the buxom blonde with the daring décolletage gazing lovingly up at him — after all, puberty was on the horizon and loudly calling my name!

Of course, my brother and I were both monster-crazy, thanks to the Shock syndication revival of the classic Universal monster films that debuted on our little black-and-white TVs the year prior to FM's launch, so without hesitation, we both eagerly plunked down our respective 35-cents and devoured every image and word in that magazine in the car ride home and happily-ever-after for years to come.

Thanks for the memories, Ackermonster! You are a visionary and your place on this Earth will be always be treasured and very fondly remembered by this first-generation Monster Kid!

Last edited:
Number one!!!! You lucky...

I think my first issue was somewhere in the 40's, but I do know I was buying regularly by around issue 60 or so. I bought a lot of back issues (sometimes 5 or 6 at a time) from Captain Company in the back pages; sometimes I think the Captain Company pages were the best part of the magazine (for some issues). I think I got issues all the way down to single digits buying back issues that way, and I know at one point, I was only missing about 15 or 20 issues to be complete. Sadly, I parted ways with my copies of FM in the early 90's (to help fund a vehicle), but I really need to go back and build a collection again!

Very sad news indeed! Famous Monsters of Filmland was my favorite magazine growing, the only actual "magazine" I read besides comic books for many years,and is also the reason I am the 'girl geek' that I am (nicely put, dr2red!). :monkey3

When Forry goes, so goes a great era in history... :monkey2

My dad is going to be very sad about this news. He has really wanted to visit Forry's Mansion tour. He got to speak with him a couple of times the last few years at SDCC.

Number one!!!! You lucky...

I think my first issue was somewhere in the 40's, but I do know I was buying regularly by around issue 60 or so. I bought a lot of back issues (sometimes 5 or 6 at a time) from Captain Company in the back pages; sometimes I think the Captain Company pages were the best part of the magazine (for some issues). I think I got issues all the way down to single digits buying back issues that way, and I know at one point, I was only missing about 15 or 20 issues to be complete. Sadly, I parted ways with my copies of FM in the early 90's (to help fund a vehicle), but I really need to go back and build a collection again!
Just born at the right time, Lonnie!

Of course, all of those vintage mags were read to bits and pieces and never "collected" in the sense they are today. I'll second Nick the Monster's notion of a hardbound collection of FM à la the EC Libraries!

Jim Warren's Captain Comany got a lion's share of my allowance: the Don Post Calendar Masks — and hands! Big Frankie; the Creeping Crawling Hand; Horrible Herman; posters and books; etc., etc.

What a great time it was to be a kid!

Back