First attempt at adding hair, beard and re-paint whadda ya think?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShapeShifter

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I had an extra head that came from the hot toys narrow shoulder and though I would attempt to cut off his hair, give him and beard and some new colour to his pale skin, what do you guys think? Be gentle it's my first time and don't mind the ears I melted them off cause my oven right now won't go below 170 so I had to use a toaster oven so lets just say that frost bite was the cause of this poor incident

Here is a quick bash I threw together for now

Last edited:
Looks like it turned out pretty good... if you do it again I'd recommend being a bit more intentional with how you sculpt the hair. I'll a sculpting tool through the hair and then knock it back a bit with some rubbing alcohol to give it a more natural look.

And to blend the edges it helps to really thin out the material so you don't get a sharp line between hair and no hair... and after you've baked the head you can go over everything with a light sanding to smooth it out even further.

Sure... well for painting hair I like to use a 3 layer approach. Start with a dark solid layer of paint over all of the hair... you might have to do two coats. Then dry brush on 2 progressively lighter shades. So for a medium brown I will start with a dark brown color, then two lighter shades of brown to give it a sense of depth.

As for the edges... one thing I'll do (especially on a beard) is after I paint the edge of the hair line, go back over it lightly with the flesh tone I'm using in order to get a subtle transition, if you look at how hair looks in real life it's not a clean break between skin and hair, there's a transition so you want to replicate this in 1/6.

As for the sculpting, it's kind of the same thing... you want to try and get a subtle transition between the two... and usually working the edges lower and tapering them off helps to acheive this. As I said before after I get the basic shape (but before baking) I'll use rubbing alcohol on a small paint brush to smooth out the sculpt and even help with that gradual transition into the skin... you'll understand what I'm talking abuot the first time you try it, the alcohol does a great job of smoothing out the sculpting materials.

Awesome bro thanks for the tips, I need to get a new oven before I bake anything again cause my oven won't go under 170 maybe cause it's digital? I don't know But I don't want to burn another sculpt so I will have to wait, but thanks for the tips I will definitely use them

I guess some people will boil sculpey rather than bake it... I've never done it, but many swear by it. But before you ask I'm not exactly clear on how boiling it works :lol

No I have a second kitchen in the basement that I haven't used since I moved in so I don't even know if that one will work, it's older so I will check it out cause I would hate to ruin a whole sculpt

I boil Sculpey - simmer gently for about 20 mins and it should be fine.

I even re-sculpted some hair on a resin head and boiled it and it came out ok, though I will be re-working it when I have more time (using the tips above ;) )

I think you could try to give his hair more of a "sweep" effect. With a fringe like hat, you would usually use some gel or wax to scrape it up. Try to replicate that scrape or sweep when sculpting the hair by dragging up from the top of the forehead to the peak of the hair. The flesh colour looks great and eyebrows and eyes too.

I usually just use a hair dryer to make my super sculpey stuck to the head a after rescuplting a beard or hairstyle. It will never melt anything on the sculpt. Here's a beard and hair mod I did using these techniques. ...
e3y4ymug.jpg

I usually just use a hair dryer to make my super sculpey stuck to the head a after rescuplting a beard or hairstyle. It will never melt anything on the sculpt. Here's a beard and hair mod I did using these techniques. ...
e3y4ymug.jpg

Looks great! Hair dryer for just the hair? Or the entire sculpt? And how long with a hair dryer to fully cure?

Looks great! Hair dryer for just the hair? Or the entire sculpt? And how long with a hair dryer to fully cure?

It takes about 10 min or so to fully cure with hairdryer on high. Just don't hold it in one spot for too long. Keep rotating the sculpt. The hair is usually pretty thin so it doesn't take alot of heat to cure. Same goes for beard. Give it a try man

Will do man for sure, any tips for curing a head sculpt? My oven won't go under 170 and I don't know if I want to attempt the boil technique so would 170 be too high?

Back