Finally - my review of Jack and Sao from Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, to Buttmunch you listen. I can't tell you the number of times that I didn't order something only to finally decide I really do want it after it is too late. So far I've been lucky with the waitlist, but its still an uncomfortable predicament!

I'm very tempted--maybe I'll do that. I've even pre-ordered Gandalf the White in case I suddenly desire to have it. So maybe I will. I'm just scared I'm going to want the other figures--and I haven't even seen the third movie yet!

I'm very tempted--maybe I'll do that. I've even pre-ordered Gandalf the White in case I suddenly desire to have it. So maybe I will. I'm just scared I'm going to want the other figures--and I haven't even seen the third movie yet!

Cap! What are you waiting for man? Go see Potc3 and pre-order Jack while you are at it. Like you said with Gandalf, just in case. You can always cancel without a fee (except with Flex Pays).

Sideshow's new slogan: Betcha can't buy just one. These things should come with a surgeon general's warning.

Oh all right! I'm just worried I'm gonna want the other characters--if they do Elizabeth in her pirate garb I'm done for!

Yeah for Cap! :D I'm in the same postition as you. Not a lot of 'extra' cash so I stick to the 1:6 since they are cheaper, but Hot Toys are about double Sideshow so, so far I've stayed clear of them. I know if I keep Jack, I'll have to get at least Barbossa and Davy Jones if they make them.

Cap join us in getting these figures!! I saw them at the Con. Was impressed with how nice they looked. They'll be worth getting.

If I do go through with this order, I'll not be going too much into the line. I'm not a fan of Elizabeth's later look; I'll wait for a pirate version. Plus I'm not really into Barbossa or Davy Jones either. In fact, none of the characters really mean anything to me besides Jack and Elizabeth. I haven't seen AWE, so I don't even know who Sao Feng is. So really, I should be able to get this figure without any fears of addiction. Right?

Right? :monkey3

If I do go through with this order, I'll not be going too much into the line. I'm not a fan of Elizabeth's later look; I'll wait for a pirate version. Plus I'm not really into Barbossa or Davy Jones either. In fact, none of the characters really mean anything to me besides Jack and Elizabeth. I haven't seen AWE, so I don't even know who Sao Feng is. So really, I should be able to get this figure without any fears of addiction. Right?

Right? :monkey3

Pretty much all you see of Sao Feng is in the trailers. He really is a very minor character when all is said and done. He could have been cut out with minimal effort (some plot things would have to be shifted around, but there really was no need to introduce this 'main' character).

If you aren't a fan of Davy or Barbossa (and I'm not sure how you are not) then I think you should be fine. If these were Sideshow figures and Sideshow's prices, I'd get them all. But at Hot Toy's price, I'm only getting Jack and hopefully Barbossa and Jones in the future. Maybe skeleton/fish pirates if the make them.

Last edited:
Jack and Sao Feng are the best figures I've bought this year. I just bought a second Jack to display without the coat and hat for now, with plans to retrofit him to a Black Pearl version later. The new level of quality set by these two figures makes me wish that all other companies just relinquish their licenses over to Hot Toys. Can you imagine how much cooler a Hot Toys Hellboy could have been?

Nick

I was impressed with these when I saw them. Funnily, I thought the Sao Feng and Elizabeth facial sculpts looked better than Jack. But --- this is a big "but" -- were I to get any of them, I would have to get Jack. He IS POTC in my book. I would also go for Elizabeth, but as good as this current costume is, I think I would prefer her in her dress or pirate outfit in POTC 2. I would also want to get Will.

(and now I remember why I didn't jump on getting Jack....it would mean at least 2 more) but I'm soooooo tempted!......

Good review Michael....you almost got me to cave.

The color of the frock coat is actually not too far off:
ref5-6589.jpg

jackbrowncoat.jpg

What Hot Toys didn't get right is the cut of the breeches:
jackbreeches.jpg

I know you hardly ever see them, but I know they're there and that they're inaccurate. I'm having a couple of replacement pairs custom made. Now where to find a pair of real leather boots...

Nick

Barbossa and Jones just never got to me. Maybe in the third film they're more important? We'll see. For now they just don't really have any appeal for me. :cool:

Keep it up Captain, resistance is futile. Barbossa is wicked. If Geoffrey Rush had played Jack Sparrow we would all be in the same line still. Just another wicked pirate. Arrrr. :arr

The color of the frock coat is actually not too far off:
ref5-6589.jpg

jackbrowncoat.jpg

What Hot Toys didn't get right is the cut of the breeches:
jackbreeches.jpg

I know you hardly ever see them, but I know they're there and that they're inaccurate. I'm having a couple of replacement pairs custom made. Now where to find a pair of real leather boots...

Nick

Actually, you're wrong about the coat, it doesn't look like that. They went brown from the proto, which is what's seen in the picture you posted. If they'd given us that jacket with the rest of the figure it'd be great, but they changed to a brown coat, for whatever reason.

Back