Feedback on Your Buying Decisions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corrose

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, so one thing I have always been interested in, especially with the sorts of things we collect, are people's motivations and reasons about what they order and why. I had some questions I was hoping you guys could comment on, I'm very interested to see some of the thoughts here.

1) Have you ever bought a statue, figure, prop etc that was just simply outside of your budget and if so, how did you justify it financially and mentally?

2) Do you find the rush of getting a new collectible in the opening and un-boxing part, or is it just more about having and owning it?

3) If some cool figure or statue was announced that has a great wow factor, and they only made 10 of them, if you were offered a spot for one of them, would you consider it even if you didn't care about the character, but rather the excitement of the exclusiveness?

4) If someone was making a limited edition of your favorite movie blu ray release, or even a video game collectors edition, and they had say, $200 to budget, would you prefer they put all the budget into a high end statue or figure, where you only get one thing, and maybe not so great packaging, or would you rather see a bunch of smaller things that make up the $200, like an artbook, poster, papercraft figures, keychains, USB drives...more paper based items and a cool packaging experience. Which one and why?

5) Does nostalgia fuel your buying choices, or is it just cool factor? Like with me, I tend to buy a lot of Star Wars, because I grew up on it, and it brings back a lot of those childhood memories.

6) If you receive a statue, figure, prop or collectible that had a considerable pricetag to it, if you receive the item and there is an obvious issue with a paint color, or just something that is way off from being screen accurate, are you the kind of person to just let it go, or will you insist on the manufacturer make it right? If something is way off like a likeness that you couldn't tell from the prototype, would you just keep it or insist on a refund?

7) When it comes to Hot Toys/Sideshow/Gentle Giant etc, making decisions on what to offer, do you wish they would be more interactive with the fans on deciding what to offer, or do you think that since they are the developer, it's best to let them make those choices?

1) Have you ever bought a statue, figure, prop etc that was just simply outside of your budget and if so, how did you justify it financially and mentally?
Yes. Justified mentally/financially as I knew it would cost me way more down the road and so far out of budget I may never pick it up.

2) Do you find the rush of getting a new collectible in the opening and un-boxing part, or is it just more about having and owning it?.

Varies with the character

3) If some cool figure or statue was announced that has a great wow factor, and they only made 10 of them, if you were offered a spot for one of them, would you consider it even if you didn't care about the character, but rather the excitement of the exclusiveness?
I wouldn't consider it.

4) If someone was making a limited edition of your favorite movie blu ray release, or even a video game collectors edition, and they had say, $200 to budget, would you prefer they put all the budget into a high end statue or figure, where you only get one thing, and maybe not so great packaging, or would you rather see a bunch of smaller things that make up the $200, like an artbook, poster, papercraft figures, keychains, USB drives...more paper based items and a cool packaging experience. Which one and why?

I'd prefer the resources all go into the quality of figure/statue as I wouldn't be bothered if the packaging was forgettable as long as it served the purpose to protect the piece during transit.

5) Does nostalgia fuel your buying choices, or is it just cool factor? Like with me, I tend to buy a lot of Star Wars, because I grew up on it, and it brings back a lot of those childhood memories.

Both. :)

6) If you receive a statue, figure, prop or collectible that had a considerable pricetag to it, if you receive the item and there is an obvious issue with a paint color, or just something that is way off from being screen accurate, are you the kind of person to just let it go, or will you insist on the manufacturer make it right? If something is way off like a likeness that you couldn't tell from the prototype, would you just keep it or insist on a refund?
I'd think that the prototype would indicate whether the piece was screen accurate, so if I were bothered by that I wouldn't place the PO initially.

If I receive a portrait that is disturbingly different/weaker or there is an obvious issue with paint compared to the prototype that baited my PO in the first place, I'd send it back for full refund.

7) When it comes to Hot Toys/Sideshow/Gentle Giant etc, making decisions on what to offer, do you wish they would be more interactive with the fans on deciding what to offer, or do you think that since they are the developer, it's best to let them make those choices?
Communicating with the fans who you want to buy your products and depend on to survive as a company seems like a no brainer thing to do.

Back