Favourite Atmospheric movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2001 is the one that instantly comes to mind. The whole movie could almost play out with no dialog at all.

Always feel the creepiness when watching "The Ninth Gate" and "Angel Heart" :)

Edit : and when the ghosts are shown in "the Innocents" I can not sleep :)
(very simple effect but so effective)

For me it's Alien, Requiem for a dream, The Ninth Gate, Event Horizon, Blade Runner, Pan's Labyrinth...

VERY underated film there. One of my favorite space-psychological movies.

I thought it was a very good movie but then the silly ending with annoying camerawork just ruined it for me. I would prefer the ending to be more mystical like 2001 and not just the SPOILER: guy went crazy and started killing everybody scenario.
I might watch it again one day, I think it has a chance to grow on me with the second viewing.

I thought it was a very good movie but then the silly ending with annoying camerawork just ruined it for me. I would prefer the ending to be more mystical like 2001 and not just the SPOILER: guy went crazy and started killing everybody scenario.
I might watch it again one day, I think it has a chance to grow on me with the second viewing.

It's funny you say that. Thought the same with 28 Days Later. Had a great opening, great storyline, but kind of fizzled out towards the end. Don't know if it's Garland's writing or not, but both movies kind had the same thing going on.

It's funny you say that. Thought the same with 28 Days Later. Had a great opening, great storyline, but kind of fizzled out towards the end. Don't know if it's Garland's writing or not, but both movies kind had the same thing going on.

Yep, once they got to that farm with soldiers the film died for me. I don't know what the problem is. Maybe they just rushed both films into production without ironing out the last act?

My favorite all-time atmospheric movie is Eraserhead - it's a waking nightmare. Begotten is a great atmospheric movie as well. Both of those movies just absorb you into their world - doesn't get much better than that.

Thought it would be interesting to hear what your favourites are,gotta love a good(more creepy) athmosphere in a movie.Add Tv Series if you feel like it...

Dont have to be the best movie,simply that it has the little unique athmosphere,creative filming,music that sets the right mood in a scene,keeps you on the edge of the seat and you know something might happen,but you dont know when or how.Little hard to explain but i think you know what i mean :)

There is 3 that clearly stands out for me:

Movies:
-The Shining(Kubrick)
-The Thing(Carpenter)

Tv Series:
-Twin Peaks(David Lynch)

There is alot worth mentioning but these 3 are in a league of their own of anything ive seen.
My favourite Director is David Lynch which is famous for his athmospheric movies like:
-Mulholland Drive
-Lost highway
-Blue Velvet
-Wild at Heart

David Lynch is my favorite director as well. If you haven't seen Eraserhead though you'll be in for a treat.:D

David Lynch is my favorite director as well. If you haven't seen Eraserhead though you'll be in for a treat.:D

You have good taste my friend:)

Twin peaks is my favourite tv series of all time,no i havent watched Eraserhead yet but i will.By the way,since you like Lynch so much...have you watched his Shortmovies that is on the "Dynamic:01" dvd?

I love "Boat" and "Neighbor Boy" by Lynch,Boat is just so typical Lynch.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/LHZ2mYXV4GA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/LHZ2mYXV4GA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

you gotta have the sound pretty high on this one to hear the background music.

You have good taste my friend:)

Twin peaks is my favourite tv series of all time,no i havent watched Eraserhead yet but i will.By the way,since you like Lynch so much...have you watched his Shortmovies that is on the "Dynamic:01" dvd?

I love "Boat" and "Neighbor Boy" by Lynch,Boat is just so typical Lynch.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/LHZ2mYXV4GA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/LHZ2mYXV4GA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

you gotta have the sound pretty high on this one to hear the background music.

Funny, Twin Peaks is my favorite tv show of all time as well....even though season 2 was a noticable sloucher. Funny how when it came out the major complaint about it wasn't that it was wierd but that the mystery wasn't solved fast enough and now we have show like Lost that are doing what Twin Peaks did about 18 years ago. It was too far ahead of it's time.

As far as the shorts.....yes i have seen them. Other than a couple of clunkers i thought they were a great study of a director finding his "voice."

John Carpenter's The Fog has a lot of atmosphere. Can't say much for that bastardly remake.

Back