Favorite film with an open/ambiguous ending?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
If you're going to discuss a film's ending in depth, use spoiler tags, please.

Been thinking about a couple films that are currently first-page usuals here in the movies/tv section. I thought people could mention their favorite film (or tv show) with an open ending.

I can only think of a few a the moment, but my favorite would have to be David Lynch's Mulholland Drive.

Trailer:
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/96R9MG0DxLc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/96R9MG0DxLc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Runner up: David Cronenberg's eXistenZ

Last edited:
Being a huge Coen Bros. fan, I guess I'll go with Barton Fink. As far as Cronenberg films, I LOVE the ending to A History of Violence. In fact, I love every goddamn single thing about that movie. Perfect movie. So, I change my mind. That's my choice :D

Really Plasmid!? I thought it was obvious how Mulholland Drive ends. Nothing open/ambiguous about it. At least when I watched it. :dunno

Last edited:
Really Plasmid!? I thought it was obvious how Mulholland Drive ends. Nothing open/ambiguous about it. At least when I watched it. :dunno

The whole movie is rather ambiguous, and Lynch refuses to ever talk about it. I read on Wiki that whenever someone attempts to interpret Mulholland Dr., he just smiles and says something along the lines of "that's interesting".

I was actually anticipating that someone here would argue with me on whether or not Mulholland Dr. was ambiguous or not. :lol I know the popular theory is that...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Being a huge Coen Bros. fan, I guess I'll go with Barton Fink. As far as Cronenberg films, I LOVE the ending to A History of Violence. In fact, I love every goddamn single thing about that movie. Perfect movie. So, I change my mind. That's my choice :D

Barton Fink was awesome!

I was actually anticipating that someone here would argue with me on whether or not Mulholland Dr. was ambiguous or not. :lol I know the popular theory is that...

Spoiler Spoiler:

No. I don't believe that. For me..

Spoiler Spoiler:

I can point out exactly how if you want.

No. I don't believe that. For me..

Spoiler Spoiler:

I can point out exactly how if you want.

woops, forgot to spoiler tag.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
How does the strange cowboy fit in?

Diane sees him at the dinner party. Briefly. She never sees his face or talks to him. So she invents him. Like most dreams, your sub-conscious fills in the blanks.

That scary creature that appears at certain parts of the film (Also those two guys in the diner who first see the creature)?

Creature!? He's a regular bum. :lol

He represents "the truth" and how scary it is to face that. For Diane it represents
Spoiler Spoiler:

Those two guys are also seen in the dinner where Diane hires the hitman.

Also, there are too many unrelated plot arcs involving side characters that I don't believe Diane would have dreamed up herself.

Two explanations there:

1. You always dream about yourself? I don't. I've had dreams where I wasn't even in them. :lol

2. Mulholland Dr. was originally going to be a TV series. When no one would pick it up, Lynch turned it into a movie. So it's also possible there's scenes that would've been separate plots in the show.

But I don't really believe the 2nd explanation because everyone you see in the movie can be accounted for in the "real world" scenes. Everyone in Diane's dream/fantasy is seen in some form (sometimes just briefly) in the "real world".

You can call it a bum if you want. It was terrifying. :lol

While I do agree with that particular framework, I still don't believe that all of it was some sort of dream manifestation of Diane's final moments. There's just too much hidden in there for it to be so simple.

Anyway, even if Mulholland dr. is cut and dry, there's still eXistenZ. :lol

Last edited:
Ive seen Mulholland Drive many times,one of the strangest movies ive ever seen,just like any other Lynch movie :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

If you haven't seen Shutter Island,don't click this Spoiler Tag!:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
The blue box/key

Spoiler Spoiler:

I've actually been discussing with some friends that...

Spoiler Spoiler:

The blue box/key

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back