famous people you meet who were jerks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People are supposed to pay for autographs and photo ops and Ferigno's all about business at conventions. You're not really descriptive about what you did, but on the surface it looks like you were trying to be sneaky and didn't ask permission.

no i had just paid for an autograph, like 5 seconds before then some random person ran up and took a picture with him. i had waited in line just bought an autograph so i thought i'd ask for a picture with him thats when he screamed give me 35 dollars. Mind you he was only charging for autographs people were getting pictures with him

How so??? people were just walking up to him at the booth and taking pictures with him i was in line bought an autograph and asked if i could be in a picture with him, thats when he wanted even more money.

A quick search shows me that a lot of people consider Ferrigno a jerk. The question is why did he single you out? He obviously had many opportunities to bark at other people for money while they were taking photos without permission.

I've met lots of celebrities at conventions and they are usually quite generous and pleasant, the only one that left a bad impression on me was Tom Savini... He was at the first Texas Frightmare Weekend and the room he was in had about five other guests as well. The lines were formed so that you got to go by each table and meet the celebrity there. He was at the last table and kept ranting to the two convention volunteers working with him that it was taking too long for people to get to his table. Not really an a-hole, but certainly seemed to have very little patience with the process. When I got to him< i expressed my gratitude at being able to meet him and he just signed my photo and continued venting to the volunteers...

On the other hand Sid Haig, Kane Hodder, Ray Park and Thomas Jane were class acts all around.

Oh, Sex Machine. I've read a few of these stories on IMDb. I've yet to meet a celebrity. :/

A quick search shows me that a lot of people consider Ferrigno a jerk. The question is why did he single you out? He obviously had many opportunities to bark at other people for money while they were taking photos without permission.

Most of the time these people are idiots. I see them at cons, talking down to him, thinking he's ignoring them, thinking he's being rude to them when he asks them to look him in the face when he's talking to them or repeat what they said 3+ times because they're speaking too fast. Hardly anybody takes the time to realize that the man is reading lips and not responding to people he can't really see because he's deaf. Add his gargantuan size (he's 6'5" and still built like a bear), and it's a no-brainer.

Most of the time these people are idiots. I see them at cons, talking down to him, thinking he's ignoring them, thinking he's being rude to them when he asks them to look him in the face when he's talking to them or repeat what they said 3+ times because they're speaking too fast. Hardly anybody takes the time to realize that the man is reading lips and not responding to people he can't really see because he's deaf. Add his gargantuan size (he's 6'5" and still built like a bear), and it's a no-brainer.

That could very well be the case many times. Also adding to that is the fact that people like to look for one small negative interaction with a celebrity to sum them up as a jerk overall.

And that is a good segue for a few stories Tom Savini told at his Q&A last year. He told the audience that people think he's a jerk and gave two examples of moments with fans at conventions while he was at his booth that may have contributed to the sentiment:

While he was sitting at the booth, his associate was right behind him, talking on the phone. A fan was approaching his booth. Tom overhears the associate say something like, "Tom's here, wanna talk to him?" So Tom says, "I don't want to talk to anyone." The fan quickly turns around and takes off. After a few moments, Tom realizes that the fan thought he was addressing him.

Another time at his booth, a fan approaches while Tom is busy counting money. His associate asks if he wants to talk to her and Tom holds up the money, gesturing that he is in the middle of counting. The girl scoffs and turns away, maybe thinking she can't meet him unless she pays.

IIRC in one of those cases Tom managed to have the fan chased down and brought back to him so he could explain himself, but the other was nowhere to be found.

:lecture it is true,he does read lips and people forget that he's deaf

met Lou at CC...he seemed like a cool guy

plus he smiled when I told him he was always bigger than Ahnuld

I think the main reason I've had good experiences with celebrities is because I don't pressure them or get up all in their face. In other words I give them their breathing space. I might wave or just nod my head to acknowledge them, and most of the time they'll wave or nod back, and sometimes if I'm lucky they'll even want to strike up a conversation with me which is even cooler. And if you do talk to them just be respectful, but don't kiss their ass either and say "I'm you biggest fan" or "I watched all your movies and worship the ground you walk on". This might creep them out and they'll most likely want to get the hell away from you. Just be a cool person to them and you'll have a better experience.

P.S.
1. Don't ask them to perform a line from one of their movies or do a funny character voice just so you and your drunk ********* buddies can have a cheap laugh.

2. Don't tell them how to pose for the camera shot, like "flex" or "look mean".

3. And the biggest sin of all. Do not bother them when they're eating. Common sense should tell you this, but believe it or not there are still lots of idiots who break this rule.

I really don't care about all that stuff. Now if I could chat someone up and get a phone number, or give mine, it might be worth it. :lol

:D

I would never pay either, I would pay the price of admission to a horror convention or a comic convention yeah,
but not for their autograph, I would rather just take a pic of them from away, not with me on the pic but just a pic of the person, as memory maybe,
I guess even a pic With the person might even be kinda cool,
but their signature in a piece of paper for 50 bucks? or 30, or a 100 (in some cases)
no freaking way,

meeting them or seeing them up close is much more valuable for me as an experience than a piece of paper

Thanks for moving my post. :)

Ive met quite a few celebs,but the one(s) I remember being jerks were Chyna and Triple H. I caught them and Shawn Michaels leaving a RAW show in my hometown. SM was a cool cat but Chyna mega ****** and Triple H well he was as arrogant as his character Hunter Herst Helmsley. I liked him up till that point and told him to suck it DX style lol and ran away.

I can't recall any celebs that were truly jerks to me.On the contrary, most have been quite polite. Of course, I tend to treat them politely as well.Makes quite a difference, I guess...PS

My dad met Steven Seagel and Jeff Goldblum who were both jerks he says. :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Met Todd McFarland back when he was drawing Hulk and got him to sign his Hulk vs Wolverine issue. Very nice.
Cold called Drew Struzan who picked up and proceeded to have about half hour conversation about art. Very soft spoken and gracious individual.
William Shatner on the other hand....meh.

My dad had dinner with Andrew Sachs from Fawlty Towers. AKA; Manuel
Sorry didn't spot the 'jerks' part of the title.

My old man was on his own at a hotel eating dinner and Andrew Sachs invited him to join his table with his wife. Super nice guy apparently and my dads a huge fan of Fawlty towers so he was stoked !

cleese.jpg

Last edited:
Back