Explosion in Boston?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. The majority seem to just want their own opinions reflected back to them and this controversy seems to align with that.

Don't see how it glorifies him at all. To me he looks like a psycho. Maybe I'm projecting because I know what he's done, but I think either way it's effective.

Think the sub-header says it all: How a Popular, Promising Student Was Failed by His Family, Fell Into Radical Islam and Became a Monster.

Doesn't sound too sympathetic. If it's like any other marquee RS article I've ever read, it'll be well written and insightful. Not sure if I'll bother, myself, because I don't know how much interest I actually have in understanding why this guy cracked.

Wow!

If I have to explain why putting him on the front cover of RS magazine does nothing but glorify him, then I am lost for words.

The article is irrelevant to me. No matter what journalistic approach they have taken, the front cover is inexcusable!

It's just bad taste. I always find it unbelievable in situations like this, that anybody could actually not have an issue with it.

All I will say, had it been one if your loved ones killed in the blast, would you still have the same relaxed viewpoint? I think I can answer that question for myself.

...I think I can answer that question for myself.
I doubt you can, because if one of my loved ones was killed in the blast I'd likely have bigger things to worry about than the cover of the RS. There's a difference between a magazine running a photo of a psychopath (e.g., Charles Manson) and that same person being "glorified". I'm sorry you can't see the difference, but to me it's night and day.

And honestly, why are you so outraged about such a fleeting issue? Next month there'll be a new cover and this one will be forgotten. No offense, but if you care so much, spend your time and/or money to good use by helping out those affected somehow. Yelling at people on the internet about how offensive the cover is accomplishes nothing.

I doubt you can, because if one of my loved ones was killed in the blast I'd likely have bigger things to worry about than the cover of the RS. There's a difference between a magazine running a photo of a psychopath (e.g., Charles Manson) and that same person being "glorified". I'm sorry you can't see the difference, but to me it's night and day.

And honestly, why are you so outraged about such a fleeting issue? Next month there'll be a new cover and this one will be forgotten. No offense, but if you care so much, spend your time and/or money to good use by helping out those affected somehow. Yelling at people on the internet about how offensive the cover is accomplishes nothing.

Smart arse retorts only go to defend my point, thank you :duff

It doesn't matter that he looks like that. What matters is that he got on the cover of Rolling Stone because he looks like that, and it's beside the point that he's accused of being a four-time murderer.

Sachiel's right. Even if they were using it for shock value to direct people's attention to an important piece of journalism, **** them for using that.

That's really all there is to it, and that's why it's disgusting.

And honestly, why are you so outraged about such a fleeting issue? Next month there'll be a new cover and this one will be forgotten.

wont be the case at all.
Years from now if people are asked to name one person who appeared on the RS cover in 2013 the answer will overwhelmingly be the Boston Bomber.

^^^ Then I don't see what people are so worked up about then.

Because the photo stands alone separately from what the focus of the article was. If it was a sympathy piece (which isn't really even worth mentioning because that just would've been insane) then that's just adding insult to injury. There are tons of different pics that could've been chosen to convey a better message. This looks like he just made the cover of GQ

Because the photo stands alone separately from what the focus of the article was. If it was a sympathy piece (which isn't really even worth mentioning because that just would've been insane) then that's just adding insult to injury. There are tons of different pics that could've been chosen to convey a better message. This looks like he just made the cover of GQ
Kinda surprised you have an issue with it, Pop. Would it somehow be better if he was disfigured or looked more overtly crazy (Mason style, say)? I think the overwhelming reaction from the public will be that he looks off (psychotic, a bit). Again, that may just be because I know what he did but I'd guess a lot of people will have a similar reaction.

Bingo. Having freedom is one thing but what you do with it is another.

There are a lot of meaningful messages behind this picture but they are far outweighed by the negative ones. Again, I feel that anything positive or noteworthy that this photo says was better off written in the article.

RS knew the controversy this would cause and they knew exactly what they were doing. They did roll the dice though. If the public REALLY took offence to this and made a stink about it then it would've blown up in their face.... and then we would have gotten an apology which of course makes everything better :rolleyes2

Media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M9rssz6tIE

:exactly:

:goodpost:

wont be the case at all.
Years from now if people are asked to name one person who appeared on the RS cover in 2013 the answer will overwhelmingly be the Boston Bomber.

...but they won't know his name. What's his name again?

Don't google it, it was a rhetorical question.

Kinda surprised you have an issue with it, Pop. Would it somehow be better if he was disfigured or looked more overtly crazy (Mason style, say)? I think the overwhelming reaction from the public will be that he looks off (psychotic, a bit). Again, that may just be because I know what he did but I'd guess a lot of people will have a similar reaction.

I really do have an issue with it brother. From where I'm standing I'm kinda surprised that some people don't. I get that opinions vary but this is one of those situations where I'm surprised that the general opinion isn't nearly unanimously against this. At first glance this pic says a lot of things to me.... and they're all negative. IDK why this image doesn't speak to everyone the same way. Maybe these aren't the first feelings that some people have at first glance and have to wrap their brain around it a little more. Maybe some people just don't think in these terms. The more I thought about it I saw some positive messages in it but not enough to be the cover page of a nearly globally recognized magazine.

I NEVER want to see an image that even REMOTLEY portrays this d__k bag in a positive light. He was bleeding out in someone's boat where they caught him, right? Show me a pic of that. Show me him in his prison suit cuffed and doomed. Show me him walking down the hall to the gas chamber in his darkest hour. Show me him suffering like he made people suffer. That is all part and parcel of justice in my book. Not this insult. I'd feel even more strongly about this if I lost someone in this mess.

I'll just point out something I've pointed out before. Look how many people here have Joker and Bane avatars. Movies and media have made villains too likable for a while now. Even my avatar and sig are bad guys. I mentioned this in the Game of Thrones thread about how nobody roots for Walder Frey or those villains because they are portrayed realisticly as the scummy unredemable, and completely unlikable characters that type of a person would be. Walter White isn't a good guy to look upto but he's very likable. Bane is a terrorist who wants to murder million of innocent men, women and children.

I couldn't help but notice that when things like the theatre shooting or this marathon bombing happened, that a few members here with Bane sigs and avatars were posting nothing but graphic pictures of the carnage and nothing else. Or just continously updating the body count with no additional comments. That actually kind of freaked me out.

We have made villains way too likable and if we're not careful, the media will do the same to the real life ones. It's already happening, how many kids did you see on CNN swearing up and down there was no way he could do this. After it happened his friends helped him get rid of evidence from his dorm. So yea I see anything that glorifies these guys in any way as a bad thing. It's teaching people that killing innocents will get you the attention you want and that everyone in the U.S. will know who you are 24/7 for at least a solid week.

He was bleeding out in someone's boat where they caught him, right? Show me a pic of that. Show me him in his prison suit cuffed and doomed. Show me him walking down the hall to the gas chamber in his darkest hour. Show me him suffering like he made people suffer. That is all part and parcel of justice in my book. Not this insult. I'd feel even more strongly about this if I lost someone in this mess.

Of course the whole point of the image they ran was to present the bomber as 'just another ordinary looking kid'. It'd perhaps give satisfaction to many, but an image of the guy bleeding on a boat wouldn't resonate with people. I don't believe this image is making a suspect appear glamorous. I believe it is designed to have people look at it and think, "that could be my next door neighbour, my class mate, etc".

We in the West had better wake up to the threat of home-grown terrorists. We need to know everything we can about them, and as much as we can about their radicalisation. If this image helps sell an article that contributes to a broader understanding of the threat our societies face... I don't know if I'm opposed to that.

It'd perhaps give satisfaction to many, but an image of the guy bleeding on a boat wouldn't resonate with people.

:lol I was being extreme with that specific example but you get what my point is. I know it's not for all but that would resonate with me just fine. Call me sick or whatever. I guess I have an extreme view of eye for an eye type justice in certain cases.

And I agree with you that positive messages do exist behind this photo; still I say those messages should have been written.

I also agree that there should be an effort to raise awareness; but this was the wrong way to go about it. There are MANY other tasteful, tactful, sensitive approaches that could be just as powerful.

Not sure what we really expect, it's a picture of his face. He's not a centerfold and he's not selling any product or recieving any income from this whole thing. If anything it's given him negative attention. Let Rolling Stone print what it wants, it's not like garbage propaganda is anything new around these parts.

A predictable response to garbage propaganda, and I'm happy to see that it's largely recognized for what it is.

It's not as though anyone really expected anything more from them.

A predictable response to garbage propaganda, and I'm happy to see that it's largely recognized for what it is.

It's not as though anyone really expected anything more from them.

Hate to see that photographer get himself in trouble though. Thankfully it sounds like they're cutting him some slack. :lol

Back