EXO-6 Star Trek "TOS" Figures (The Original Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t understand the mentality of wanting to see the actual numbers. I’ve never known a company to make all their numbers public to consumers; where does this sort of entitlement come from…?

It's kind of along the same lines as people judging how quickly the line is moving based on which of their favorite show is being repped the most.

I work in an unrelated entertainment field. There's a variety of reasons real numbers are almost never shown. Often some party that someone deals with (contracts) has a clause that will prevent specifics like that. It's stupid. It's common. I own a business and found out some months back that the third parties I deal with (and have to) actively prevent me telling numbers publicly.

I have no idea if Exo-6 has the same limitations. There's 100 other reasons why someone with influence (third party, investors, whatever) would effectively or literally ban that levels of transparency. Or there might be logical reason unknown to use that they themselves don't want to give direct numbers.

Really I think we'd all love to see actual numbers. But again, for 101 reasons, it's often not an option.

It's kind of along the same lines as people judging how quickly the line is moving based on which of their favorite show is being repped the most.
And the unbelievably asinine suggestion that people are being suckered into buying figures they don't want just because they're not releasing TOS yet.

Big Main Character Syndrome energy.

Protagonist+of+reality_fffa92_7508530.jpg

I don’t understand the mentality of wanting to see the actual numbers. I’ve never known a company to make all their numbers public to consumers; where does this sort of entitlement come from…?
There is no mentality of anyone wanting to be shown the numbers, I said he's never going to show us the numbers but people are going to continue to peddle the narrative that everything is working great just because he's still in business for now. It's the same mentality with kurtzman trek, how many people here still actually believe that shlock is profitable just because they've continued to make new content all these years even though no ones actually watching it and it pulls in no money or new fans. Someone who's been following along knows they only keep making it because of investor money and were at the end of that, but you still have delusional people out there running with the narrative that they still make new trek so it must be doing well or they wouldn't keep doing it. You're never going to get through to these people just like I'm seeing a similar response here with this. Again they could show us the numbers to prove these shows are doing well but we know they never will.

And the unbelievably asinine suggestion that people are being suckered into buying figures they don't want just because they're not releasing TOS yet.

Big Main Character Syndrome energy.

Protagonist+of+reality_fffa92_7508530.jpg
Hes literally doing it with Bashir right now but keep lashing out and denying reality.

Attachments

• 501756-1000004439.jpg
    501756-1000004439.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 0
No its not. All the dude had to do was do an even spread of characters per show. 1 character or so per show back to back, then another all the way down the line and literally no one would have said a word. Each show and there fans would have had a somewhat even influx of stuff they wanted since the start, but he didn't do that and we know why. He knew if he did that then the majority of people would pass on most of the figures and just wait 6 months to a year each year for their next tng and or tos figure and then every retailer would be stuck with voyager, enterprise, picard, discovery, mirror crap and half of ds9. Literally every day on Facebook im seeing someone put there figures up for sale or on ebay because they were convinced by nanjin that if they didn't support his business and decisions than they wouldn't get the figures they wanted, let alone the side characters hes half pretending to want to make. It's clear that a lot of these people (not all) didn't really want most of the figures but they supported nanjin and liked the shows enough to say f it and bought them. Now that nanjjn can't drag his feet too terribly longer, more people are selling these off and picking up tng and ds9. What do you thinks going to happen if he finally concedes and releases the first true tos figure? More sell offs...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240331-031106_Lite.jpg
    Screenshot_20240331-031106_Lite.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 0
No its not. All the dude had to do was do an even spread of characters per show. 1 character or so per show back to back, then another all the way down the line and literally no one would have said a word. Each show and there fans would have had a somewhat even influx of stuff they wanted since the start, but he didn't do that and we know why. He knew if he did that then the majority of people would pass on most of the figures and just wait 6 months to a year each year for their next tng and or tos figure and then every retailer would be stuck with voyager, enterprise, picard, discovery, mirror crap and half of ds9. Literally every day on Facebook im seeing someone put there figures up for sale or on ebay because they were convinced by nanjin that if they didn't support his business and decisions than they wouldn't get the figures they wanted, let alone the side characters hes half pretending to want to make. It's clear that a lot of these people (not all) didn't really want most of the figures but they supported nanjin and liked the shows enough to say f it and bought them. Now that nanjjn can't drag his feet too terribly longer, more people are selling these off and picking up tng and ds9. What do you thinks going to happen if he finally concedes and releases the first true tos figure? More sell offs...
Difficult to know. Production costs, production availability, and the likely popularity of particular characters were considerations as to when and how to pitch them to appeal to all the fans. He's using pre-order sales to partially fund production costs for the next run but to succeed, you have to be able to deliver. Remember the shortfall of availability for QMX Scotty and Sulu?

Delaying completion of Voyager and DS9 to delve deeper into the more popular TNG and DS9 would also have garnered criticism. It's frustrating but I'm not going to make assumptions that it would have been logistically possible to do it any differently.

There is no mentality of anyone wanting to be shown the numbers, I said he's never going to show us the numbers but people are going to continue to peddle the narrative that everything is working great just because he's still in business for now. It's the same mentality with kurtzman trek, how many people here still actually believe that shlock is profitable just because they've continued to make new content all these years even though no ones actually watching it and it pulls in no money or new fans. Someone who's been following along knows they only keep making it because of investor money and were at the end of that, but you still have delusional people out there running with the narrative that they still make new trek so it must be doing well or they wouldn't keep doing it. You're never going to get through to these people just like I'm seeing a similar response here with this. Again they could show us the numbers to prove these shows are doing well but we know they never will.
But who cares?

Unless you yourself are an investor, what actual difference does it make whether it's profitable or not other than the satisfaction of being “right” about the state of a business you have no part in, except as a consumer?

But let’s say you are correct, and Exo-6 is imploding from the lack of prime TOS figures. This also implies they would be in much better shape with 1 or 2 TOS figures per year. But how can we assume that after all these years McCoy or Sulu are going to significantly outsell Janeway, Sisko, Data and Geordi?

Some 90s Trek fans do not actually like TOS. Maybe they buy 3-figure merch? We don’t know. Frankly, we don’t want to know. But we cannot assume TOS is still the be-all end-all in Trek popularity, and still the unchallenged golden merch goose.

Lot of assumptions being made here about other people.

Reselling figures is hardly conclusive of your point. I resell figures all the time! We all do. Maybe it doesn’t fit as well as I hoped, maybe I simply changed my mind, or life happens and I need to raise some cash. And the VOY figures are widely agreed to be the weaker offerings, yet also fetch decent secondary market prices. So of course we are going to see those get listed pretty often. That does not mean that anyone was “tricked” into buying Chakotay.

I have to assume that anyone who actually puts down money for a Bashir figure actually wants a Bashir figure. Anything else does not make sense to me.

Last edited:

If someone is buying figures they don't want just to support Exo6, that's just idiotic. And I don't know where you get the idea that Nanjin encourages this. He specifically says, in multiple Facebook posts, if you don't like the figure don't buy it.
Besides, Exo figures have some of the highest secondary market mark-ups I've seen on 1/6 scale figs. Not just what they're listed for, but what they sell for. I'm not going to feel bad for someone selling their Chakotay for $300+.

His plan, not star trek merchandise.

Receipts as in show me how many of each character were made and how many were sold. Read.

He obviously started with a certain amount of money. None of us have any idea what his margins are. He's never going to tell us if they're profitable or not and he's definitely the type of person to not say there's any problems and then one day just pull the plug out of no where.

What's clear is that what he's done right is convince people to buy figures from shows they didn't really want to buy while dangling the carrot of figures they want, for years. I'm seeing people all over trying to get rid of their exo-6 figures. I've picked up quite a few, I even got a bundle of 3 from someone for 400 and tmp Spock was in there.
Hes still in business because he's doing this for himself first and he clearly hasn't blown his budget... yet. Those other companies you mentioned make garbage, people are literally giving away super7 figures right now and trek is a dead franchise, all which lends more to my argument. If I'm wrong then just show the numbers, while we all sit here patiently waiting for figures we actually want to own and hope that half way through tng tos and movie figures that the line doesn't just die one day.
I don't understand why folks can't just say they are sad they don't have the figures they want released in the order they want.

Talking about receipts and whatnot. You want your toy and that's a valid emotion, man. It's amazing how many hoops y'all jump through to blame your impatience on someone else.

I don't understand why folks can't just say they are sad they don't have the figures they want released in the order they want.

Talking about receipts and whatnot. You want your toy and that's a valid emotion, man. It's amazing how many hoops y'all jump through to blame your impatience on someone else.
Also, can I just comment on how off-base the notion of Trek being a dead franchise is right now?
Three active ongoing series. One upcoming streaming movie. One upcoming ongoing series. And potentially a new theatrical film.
Even Star Wars doesn't have that much going on.
And on top of that, straight from a conversation I had with an exec at Paramount, there are at least 2 more shows in development that they haven't even announced yet.
Add to that a massive annual Vegas convention, multiple smaller conventions worldwide, and TWO annual cruises, and I think one could hardly say Trek is a dead franchise.

Just don’t get into the drama. I just buy what I love and never get Into his “X sales is ahead of Y in sales now. Get this one before it is not available!” The problem is there are some collector who buy everything that comes out, cannot resist the marketing/sales pitch and soon realize they are burned out and then have to sell or quit the hobby. I do wondered if Sulu or McCoy came out, would it sell better than the other lines? It is sad there are no TOS released other than a few mirror and TMP for the older fans.

Also, can I just comment on how off-base the notion of Trek being a dead franchise is right now?
Three active ongoing series. One upcoming streaming movie. One upcoming ongoing series. And potentially a new theatrical film.
Even Star Wars doesn't have that much going on.
And on top of that, straight from a conversation I had with an exec at Paramount, there are at least 2 more shows in development that they haven't even announced yet.
Add to that a massive annual Vegas convention, multiple smaller conventions worldwide, and TWO annual cruises, and I think one could hardly say Trek is a dead franchise.
Trek has never been dead. Even if it’s just the book or comics carrying it on.

People claiming it’s dead are just those that aren’t getting the Trek they want.

I'm not sad or impatient about anything, I honestly don't really care im just calling out reality which I know most people are allergic to. People here will always cope with their assumptions that if anyone says anything against the grain then they must be mad, impatient or missed out on something and it's embarrassing. I was simply giving my take after people were telling others to be patient and bringing up nanjins goofy plan and how well its going though you have no actual receipts for the claim other than nanjin says and that his nest egg hasn't dried up yet. Just like kurtzman trek is doing well because they have shows in development that will never see the light of day, a theatrical film that's been announced almost 7 times with different writers and directors that will never ever be made, on going shows that a few thousand people watch and make no money but are only made to push messages and make it look like the franchise isnt dead and a convention that a few thousand people go to, made up of 50+ year olds and that looks completely empty on live streams. Imagine being so dense that when you hear someone say something is dead, that they think that actually means 0 people like or consume products for that franchise smh.
But as for impatience, in order for me to be impatient about these figures, I'd need to actually be excited and that's not possible when you know that more often then not that when a new figure is shown, the head sculpts look hideous or the outfits are inaccurate when they shouldn't be since nanjin is the expert of all experts yet we have unlicensed companies making better figures for less.

I'm not sad or impatient about anything, I honestly don't really care im just calling out reality which I know most people are allergic to. People here will always cope with their assumptions that if anyone says anything against the grain then they must be mad, impatient or missed out on something and it's embarrassing. I was simply giving my take after people were telling others to be patient and bringing up nanjins goofy plan and how well its going though you have no actual receipts for the claim other than nanjin says and that his nest egg hasn't dried up yet. Just like kurtzman trek is doing well because they have shows in development that will never see the light of day, a theatrical film that's been announced almost 7 times with different writers and directors that will never ever be made, on going shows that a few thousand people watch and make no money but are only made to push messages and make it look like the franchise isnt dead and a convention that a few thousand people go to, made up of 50+ year olds and that looks completely empty on live streams. Imagine being so dense that when you hear someone say something is dead, that they think that actually means 0 people like or consume products for that franchise smh.
But as for impatience, in order for me to be impatient about these figures, I'd need to actually be excited and that's not possible when you know that more often then not that when a new figure is shown, the head sculpts look hideous or the outfits are inaccurate when they shouldn't be since nanjin is the expert of all experts yet we have unlicensed companies making better figures for less.
Ah. You're one of those "fans" that think Star Trek shouldn't be "pushing messages". Okay.
I do wonder where you get your numbers from. The Vegas convention sells put almost every year. The cruise did out usually within a week or 2 of going on sale. Don't believe me? Go ahead and try to buy a ticket to it. Maybe they'll still have an interior room.
But I know it's pretty much pointless. You're not actually making good faith criticisms. You're saying the figures suck, they're too expensive, no one's buying them, the new shows suck, no one's watching them, etc, etc. It makes me wider why you're even here.
But, if I'm as dense as you say, then please, enlighten me. Show me the numbers. Tell me what makes Trek a dead franchise. I look forward to the twisted convolutions of logic.

Ah. You're one of those "fans" that think Star Trek shouldn't be "pushing messages". Okay.
I'm not entirely sure that's what @FlanginHam meant, but if it is I hope he realizes Star Trek has been "pushing messages" from the jump. I would also implore him to use paragraphs for the love of everything Holy. lol I do want to read what you're writing, but you're making it very difficult to do so.

I honestly don't really care
Your engagement says otherwise. Caring is probably better than the other possibilities? You're bored? You're a generative AI assigned to be here?

I'm not sad or impatient about anything,
If I misunderstood you, then sorry. It could be that you're expressing how confident you are in what both Trek and Nanjin are doing wrong, when both are fairly subjective things.

I'd suggest just saying what you're interested in and what you think or feel about it. I took a guess at impatient or disappointed (and will admit that I poked you by calling it "sad" as I suspect your someone who would be bothered by that).

You're clearly disappointed in something. If it's not Exo6 or Trek in general, I'm not sure why you're here?

Gotta say, it does sound like you are disappointed that he's making the figures at a quality and in an order you don't like?

I mean that's cool. Sorry you're feeling that way, bro, and sorry I used "sad" instead of disappointed.

Back