EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the shows are run by the same people with the same ideology. They are and will always be garbage until they are replaced.
I’m inclined to agree. Until Alex Kurtzman is no longer involved in Star Trek I feel I won’t enjoy any of the new output.

All the shows are run by the same people with the same ideology. They are and will always be garbage until they are replaced.

Disagree. I like the new shows. They aren?t my favorite Trek but they are still entertaining.

Same here, although I am starting to tire of the serialized storytelling with some huge, universe-ending threat at the end. I'm really looking forward to the more episodic TOS style again in Strange New Worlds. Not to mention getting to spend time on the Enterprise again, since any series set there always feels a little extra magical. :)

Same here, although I am starting to tire of the serialized storytelling with some huge, universe-ending threat at the end. I'm really looking forward to the more episodic TOS style again in Strange New Worlds. Not to mention getting to spend time on the Enterprise again, since any series set there always feels a little extra magical. :)

Yes if the Mandalorian should have taught them anything it's that the story just has to work on a human level. Sticking with a cult that believes there is a universe ending threat in Picard would have been more realistic and probably more fun.

There's a lot to be said for "one and done" stories in ST. They lost me(A lifelong Trek fan), with S2 Discovery and Picard. I'm not moaning. I read once that a watershed moment for all adults is "realising you are no longer the target of pop culture", and so i always assume this has happened when a show i used to like changes, and everyone else still likes it, lol. Star Trek is *still* Star Trek, but it's not aimed at me anymore. I will always like the eye-candy.
I do like Saru(Hint hint, Nanjin...), and liked season 1 of Discovery, but will keep my eyes peeled for a release of Captain Sisko, Saru, and Captain Janeway.

Re: EXO-6 "Star Trek" 1/6 Line

I'm not into the storytelling in Discovery or Picard, although this season of Discovery was a notable improvement over the last. What I do like about both is that they have more interesting characters than the last few Star Trek shows which had very formulaic characters. And finally FINALLY the women aren't just zipped into catsuits all the time. And usually characters need development to catch up to the story but they have done a very good job developing characters, what they haven't done is let the characters drive the story, they are using this dark angsty universe to try to write the plots rather than using these interesting characters to their advantage. So while I'm not a huge fan of the shows, I do love some of the characters, and that bodes well for some little 1/6 additions.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I think following a plot style akin to Babylon 5 works better, with an over arching villain / thread that crops up in about a third to half the episodes (although not necessarily the main plot) with the remainder being one shot or character development episodes.

I think TOS and TNG became stale when they just re-hashed one shot aliens and bald sci fi concepts even if they occasionally knocked it out if the park.

The Klingon war in season one of Discovery was great. If they hadn't had a spore drive and the war had dragged on to a more natural conclusion in season two, I would have been really impressed.

I think following a plot style akin to Babylon 5 works better, with an over arching villain / thread that crops up in about a third to half the episodes (although not necessarily the main plot) with the remainder being one shot or character development episodes.

I think TOS and TNG became stale when they just re-hashed one shot aliens and bald sci fi concepts even if they occasionally knocked it out if the park.

The Klingon war in season one of Discovery was great. If they hadn't had a spore drive and the war had dragged on to a more natural conclusion in season two, I would have been really impressed.

Or Buffy did one season arcs with recurring villains. DS9 had two effective over arching plot threads but needed either a coherent two part finale or a movie. Season 3 of Enterprise did well storywise but just didn't have any respect for half of its characters.

There's a lot to be said for "one and done" stories in ST. They lost me(A lifelong Trek fan), with S2 Discovery and Picard. I'm not moaning. I read once that a watershed moment for all adults is "realising you are no longer the target of pop culture",

I had that realization when I was into Superman but found "Smallville" unwatcheable for all the high school drama that happens ;) I hear it got better later on but I gave up pretty soon as I clearly was not the targeted audience.

and so i always assume this has happened when a show i used to like changes, and everyone else still likes it, lol. Star Trek is *still* Star Trek, but it's not aimed at me anymore. I will always like the eye-candy.
I do like Saru(Hint hint, Nanjin...), and liked season 1 of Discovery, but will keep my eyes peeled for a release of Captain Sisko, Saru, and Captain Janeway.

That's why they gave us "The Orville". Everything you are searching for and don't find, is there.

I had that realization when I was into Superman but found "Smallville" unwatcheable for all the high school drama that happens ;) I hear it got better later on but I gave up pretty soon as I clearly was not the targeted audience.

That's why they gave us "The Orville". Everything you are searching for and don't find, is there.

Exactly!
More Trek *than* Trek.

Personally I find The Orville practically unwatchable, regardless of how much stunt casting they do. The scripts are like something even Voyager would have thrown out, utterly generic, really dull and obvious comedy, lazy rehashed sci-fi ideas really poorly implemented and rarely thought through, with zero cleverness or originality, and all the depth of a petrie dish, performed by a cast of cliches desperately in search of acting talent. I don't think I've ever seen a more hollow, try hard, wannabe of a sci-fi show. It's like Trek made by people who are clearly fans of real Star Trek from back in the day, but don't understand how and why those shows worked, and aren't smart or talented enough to replicate it on a quality level in terms of story or character, so they spit out this cruddy fan-fic mediocrity instead. And yet, like an idiot I keep watching, hoping it will get better, but it never does.

Hate to come off like a hater, and people are of course free to like whatever they like, but I'll honestly never understand the praise some folks give this show. Still, to each their own. :dunno

Personally I find The Orville practically unwatchable, regardless of how much stunt casting they do. The scripts are like something even Voyager would have thrown out, utterly generic, really dull and obvious comedy, lazy rehashed sci-fi ideas really poorly implemented and rarely thought through, with zero cleverness or originality, and all the depth of a petrie dish, performed by a cast of cliches desperately in search of acting talent. I don't think I've ever seen a more hollow, try hard, wannabe of a sci-fi show. It's like Trek made by people who are clearly fans of real Star Trek from back in the day, but don't understand how and why those shows worked, and aren't smart or talented enough to replicate it on a quality level in terms of story or character, so they spit out this cruddy fan-fic mediocrity instead. And yet, like an idiot I keep watching, hoping it will get better, but it never does.

Hate to come off like a hater, and people are of course free to like whatever they like, but I'll honestly never understand the praise some folks give this show. Still, to each their own. :dunno

Lol. I’ve been a fan of trek since I was old enough to watch TV, and since DS9, the only thing that has been made since that I would say comes even close, is The Orville.
But there will be as many people who, like yourself, don’t like it and prefer Discovery, or Picard. And like you say, me liking it, has no bearing on your dislike, and doesn’t take away from your enjoyment of things I don’t like, lol.
My opinion on The Orville is that it’s finally a return to the Trek that I love. A touch of humour, a touch of action, and some technobabble. Humans out in the universe making mistakes and solving problems.
But if you don’t enjoy it, all it means is that it wasn’t aimed at you.

Lol. I’ve been a fan of trek since I was old enough to watch TV, and since DS9, the only thing that has been made since that I would say comes even close, is The Orville.
But there will be as many people who, like yourself, don’t like it and prefer Discovery, or Picard. And like you say, me liking it, has no bearing on your dislike, and doesn’t take away from your enjoyment of things I don’t like, lol.
My opinion on The Orville is that it’s finally a return to the Trek that I love. A touch of humour, a touch of action, and some technobabble. Humans out in the universe making mistakes and solving problems.

I'm in total agreement. I thought the second season really found solid footing as entertaining Sci Fi.

Still think Enterprise is underrated. Like tremendously so honestly. A little more safe and formulaic, but it felt like Star Trek. Also had good characters. Of the classic Trek shows Voyager was, and still remains my least favorite. That being said I would easily watch Voyager over any of the Kurtzman era Star Trek.

Re: EXO-6 "Star Trek" 1/6 Line

A little history since the subject, Orville was mentioned.

I shown Orville my Discovery Pike and other Trek samples at SDCC 2019.

I filed licensing application.

I proto'd Ed because MacFarlane would love the figure himself (i observed him, he was about himself). If the boss like what I did, everything would be more than half way done.

I was still working on the Fox-Orville licensing deal documentation when I left HK in Jan 2020.

If not because of the covid-19, I might ended up with a few other license in my hand. Then 1/6 Trek wouldn't be as wonderful as I can make it for this year because I would be distracted.

BTW, Ed prototype looks really good. All the pattern on their uniform were realized.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Thing is it was aimed at folks like me, I have probably seen pretty much every existing episode of every sci-fi show from the U.S., U.K. and Canada that you could name that has been made since the 60's (yes, I really am that much of a geek), I quite simply just don't like it. And that's fine, it is what it is, and I don't begrudge its existence, or that it has fans, I'm just genuinely baffled by how something that seems so generic and lazy to me could be so lauded by some of those self same fans. Still, again, to each their own.

Thing is it was aimed at folks like me, I have probably seen pretty much every existing episode of every sci-fi show from the U.S., U.K. and Canada that you could name that has been made since the 60's (yes, I really am that much of a geek), I quite simply just don't like it. And that's fine, it is what it is, and I don't begrudge its existence, or that it has fans, I'm just genuinely baffled by how something that seems so generic and lazy to me could be so lauded by some of those self same fans. Still, again, to each their own.

Yeah it feels the same way to me, just a generic rehash of TNG but with cheesier characters and a far less believable world. I'm glad people out there like it and have a scifi show they enjoy... but from a lot of comments online it often seems like most of the popularity is driven simply out of spite for DSC. And if that show hadn't come along those people wouldn't have given Orville a second's thought. Lol

Back